MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RANT: Why do people litter... pinkpiggydoe General Discussion 18 09-24-2010 06:51 PM
textbooks - a bitter rant, followed by unicorns jackiemac Academics 17 08-19-2010 04:33 PM
Library Etiquette: Rant creen General Discussion 53 12-12-2009 11:27 AM
Rant. lawleypop General Discussion 28 10-20-2009 05:45 PM

rant but not really

Old 08-07-2010 at 10:43 AM   #1
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

rant but not really
Okay i know im gonna come across as ungrateful but w.e.

My summer job is mind numbinglyy borrrrring, i work in an office all day where i go through payments and the only thing that matters at the end of the day is not your thought process and the decisions you make (not very much required) but how much work you do(high quantity vs skillled labour kind of job). It truly makes me glad that i chose science over business; if i chose this as a career path, and started off here (which many ppl do, a lot of them have degrees in commerce and what not) i might jump out the window after a particulary tough day. I may singlehandedly be the only student looking forward to school this fall.

The other issue is i dont have any disposable income as im saving it ALL for school, and spend a good chunk of it on commuting to toronto, so i dont spend nearly enough time going out and having a good time as i should, or buying nice things etc. (the commute really takes it out of you, i get jealous whenever i see anyone with a car, its that bad)

my question here is how can i make this last month more bearable, skip the you should be greatful to have a job/work hard so you dont have to do this in the future lectures, i've heard them both from my parents.
Old 08-07-2010 at 12:16 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
my question here is how can i make this last month more bearable, skip the you should be greatful to have a job/work hard so you dont have to do this in the future lectures, i've heard them both from my parents.
Well, as long as you keep focusing on how bad it is, you're gonna hate every minute of it. Look for the advantages in what you're doing, instead of being all "poor me my job sucks"...think of how much worse it could be, which leads to the benefits of the job, which will give you something to fall back on when it's really boring.

Also, a friend of mine last summer literally got paid to watch paint dry. I can't even think of anything more boring than that. She was just glad that she only had to do it for a summer, and she wasn't one of the people who was stuck there for the rest of their life because they had no where else to go.

If you have a bad attitude about it (which you seem to), then that's only going to make a bad situation worse. What if you didn't have a job, and thus had to drop out of university for this year? What if you had no other choice but to stick with this job for the forseeable future because you desperately need the money and can't find another job? I have friends in both of these situations, and one of them said she'd just grin and bear it, and do what she has to do, because as bad as it seems, it could be worse.

If you hate it that much, quit. If you're not quitting, then there must be a reason for that--ie, the job is benefitting you in some way. So, think of every way in which it's benefitting you, and that can be something to make the last month easier.

Also, do you have any friends at work? I find that does wonders, when you look forward to going to work because of the people you get to see. If you're not working with anyone you like, that makes it even worse.

eleduc likes this.
Old 08-07-2010 at 12:18 PM   #3
stevennn
Pro Lurker.

Liked: 19 Times

I have a similar kind of job as you this summer working in an office scanning an endless amount of old records into a database. After work I'm usually too tired or lazy to do anything but I find that if you actively try to fill in your non-working time with things you like to do anyway, things start to feel a bit better. If you can find more things to do that don't cost too much, it might be more bearable.

Old 08-07-2010 at 12:38 PM   #4
eleduc

Liked: 49 Times

I agree. While I also too fall victim to the "I hate my job blues", try and take a step back and look at the big picture. It is only temporary and it is a means to an end. It isn't as though you are sitting around doing office work for no pay, no experience and no value whatsoever. I know it can be hard to find value in something you don't like doing, but it is there. EVEN if the job you are doing isn't related to your career path, there must be something you can take from this job as a transferrable skill - even if it is only a spot on our resume. But if, as you say this job is related to how much work you can, maybe your time management skills have developed more. Maybe you have a better understanding of business operations, maybe you made a contact or two. Maybe all you did was affirm that this career path isn't for you and you are happy in the sciences. There is no way that this experience has meant nothing.

If that doesn't work, as an above poster already mentioned, just think of all the students and people who don't have work this summer, boring or not. That should make you feel better.

WannabeNurse likes this.
Old 08-07-2010 at 01:45 PM   #5
Erika0909

Liked: 0 Times

I'm going to say it... be grateful!
I have an office job as well where I'm stuck spending 9-5 looking for files and highlighting the ones on a list. It's not fun at all and I complained a lot once I got home. But once I got paid, things changed and as much as it's one of the most boring things to do, it feels great knowing my bank account isn't at $28 anymore.

I spent my first 3 months off looking for a job and at first I loved all the free time, having no responsibility and I could go out as late as I want. That got boring very fast though once all my friends started their jobs and I was stuck at home doing absolutely nothing since everyone was busy.

Trust me. Be really glad you at least have a job because those first 3 months of looking/sitting home all day doing nothing were not fun at all.
Old 08-07-2010 at 01:46 PM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

You make me mad. Quit. There's plenty of people who would kill for a job.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

madBiologist says thanks to lawleypop for this post.

.:callen:., Afzal, mc_kumar, TTHX like this.
Old 08-07-2010 at 01:56 PM   #7
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
You make me mad. Quit. There's plenty of people who would kill for a job.
.....you can kill for a job? Hm...(looks at chequing account balance; sobs at the realization of being unemployed; acquires leather gloves and/or a piano wire)

adrian, mc_kumar like this.
Old 08-07-2010 at 02:08 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
.....you can kill for a job? Hm...(looks at chequing account balance; sobs at the realization of being unemployed; acquires leather gloves and/or a piano wire)
You need a job to kill for a job; killing people is expensive!

Afzal, Shmowen like this.
Old 08-07-2010 at 02:18 PM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

If you don't like that job, look for another one, maybe you will prefer working retail, like McDonalds or Wal-Mart

Only a month left, im sure you can hang on. Save a little bit of $ and buy something you want, then its worth it
Old 08-07-2010 at 03:06 PM   #10
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Unless you get paid pennies, work very few hours or commute from a ridiculous distance, then I can't see how you spend a "good chunk" on the commute. It really isn't that expensive, especially if you screw GO over by going for a student discount (assuming you take the train). And if not GO, I'm sure there's some sort of student pricing for commuting, whichever way you go.

And boo-hoo. At least you have a job. At least you're putting the money to an education instead of having the mind-numbing job as a career and using your earnings to pay rent, etc. Displeased about the lack of going out? Your fault. Go out and enjoy your summer instead of brooding about it at home. The only person you have to blame for the lack of excitement is yourself in not attempting to liven things up.

ps. In the end of it all, commerce will most likely get you farther than a science degree. Even if the start is slow, it'll soar from then on out generally.

.:callen:., mc_kumar like this.
Old 08-07-2010 at 06:00 PM   #11
kristopherk

Liked: 16 Times

ViktorVaughn likes this.
Old 08-07-2010 at 09:11 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

That reminds me of my job last summer. Not only was I bored out of my mind, I was always on the verge of falling asleep. The job entailed pretty much reading a million manuals on obscure Java web development extensions, and then trying to fix broken things in a huge system.

Needless to say, I went through almost every energy drink in existence (or at least in existence at the 711 nearby :p)...

Protip: NOZ tastes like crap, but works the best.

I find if your job doesn't really have a quota to be met at the end of the day, working on your own things that sort of look like what you're supposed to be doing can kill time.
Old 08-07-2010 at 09:20 PM   #13
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
That reminds me of my job last summer. Not only was I bored out of my mind, I was always on the verge of falling asleep. The job entailed pretty much reading a million manuals on obscure Java web development extensions, and then trying to fix broken things in a huge system.

Needless to say, I went through almost every energy drink in existence (or at least in existence at the 711 nearby :p)...

Protip: NOZ tastes like crap, but works the best.

I find if your job doesn't really have a quota to be met at the end of the day, working on your own things that sort of look like what you're supposed to be doing can kill time.
Caffeine pills: The method of champions. Little pink wonders.

Old 08-08-2010 at 12:19 AM   #14
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

What about getting a cell phone with texting or internet access? That might help with boredom if you're just sitting around all day.

I can't wait for this month to be over either, so I like to look at it in weeks (not day by day). One week is done, so that's only 3 left. That's not so bad. And I plan events on the weekend that I really look forward to. It makes the weeks go by faster.
Old 08-08-2010 at 12:28 AM   #15
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
What about getting a cell phone with texting or internet access? That might help with boredom if you're just sitting around all day.

I can't wait for this month to be over either, so I like to look at it in weeks (not day by day). One week is done, so that's only 3 left. That's not so bad. And I plan events on the weekend that I really look forward to. It makes the weeks go by faster.
I hope you mean for during breaks because otherwise you're telling this guy that time theft is a-ok.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.