MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rant but not really manap3000 Volunteering Opportunities 33 08-24-2010 07:44 PM
Rant. lawleypop General Discussion 28 10-20-2009 05:45 PM
Email Etiquette lorend Technology 9 05-26-2008 10:24 PM
Meals And Manners Etiquette Dinner Event Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-10-2008 07:39 PM
Meals And Manners ~ Etiquette Dinner 2007 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-17-2007 11:10 AM

Library Etiquette: Rant

Old 12-03-2009 at 08:57 PM   #1
creen

Liked: 29 Times

Library Etiquette: Rant
Exams mean another packed library. Here are some tips to keep me from calling out your bad behavior and putting you on the spot like everyone else wants to, and believe me I will!

1. You and your friend are not the only people in the library. Go hang out somewhere else. We are trying to study, and we don't care about how Brad is hanging out with his ex again, if you want people to know you are single goto a bar get drunk and make googly eyes at other people, that's what everyone else does!

2. If I can hear your headphones they are too effing loud! First because they are bothering me, secondly because they are effing up your hearing. You inconsiderate prick!

3. Put your garbage in the garbage! I know crazy idea..... pigs!

4. Don't leave your blackberry on the desk! Yes your cool and you get text messages every 2 seconds. The vibration that carries over to my desk is annoying as hell, put that blackberry on your lap, loser.

5. If you take all the books on one subject try to at least keep them on the same floor that they live on, at least others will have a slim chance of finding them

6. Share the plugs! If you see someone pulling out their laptop let them know they can use your plug if they get low, its common courtesy.

7. Elevators, man.... if your going one floor consider walking. Others have to go 5 or six floors. You are all young no one should take the elevator down that's for sure, if you have a legitimate health concern ok. If your just lazy then hike it!

8.If your sitting in corridor along the side of the building don't give me the stink eye cause i have to step over you, what did you think would happen.

9. Your stinky ass food, I've had burps and farts that smell better then what some people bring into the library. And the quite study room on the first floor is no place to force 19 other people to smell your dirty pizza, or street meat!

10. Last but not least, SHHHHH!

now that i read that list over I might come off as slightly ****....

Last edited by creen : 12-03-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Old 12-03-2009 at 09:03 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

- People who bring stinky food. Some girl brought her lunch and I nearly died because it smelled so bad.
Old 12-03-2009 at 09:09 PM   #3
creen

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
- People who bring stinky food. Some girl brought her lunch and I nearly died because it smelled so bad.
Updated that and added it to my list at #9
Old 12-03-2009 at 09:34 PM   #4
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I'm glad I don't study in the library. Wouldn't want to run into you

danallan, xo.monica, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 12-03-2009 at 09:47 PM   #5
smiles

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by creen View Post
4. Don't leave your blackberry on the desk! Yes your cool and you get text messages every 2 seconds. The vibration that carries over to my desk is annoying as hell, put that blackberry on your lap, loser.
I TOTALLY agree with all but this one. I have a leniency with Blackberries... but only Blackberries, not cell phones.

They made my hometown famous!
Old 12-03-2009 at 09:53 PM   #6
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

LOL ... i have to agree with most of these.

Loud and inconsiderate ppl are annoying ... especially in the quiet study area !

Old 12-03-2009 at 10:09 PM   #7
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

1 and 9 are the most annoying, especially when they come in the quiet study area. why would you come to the quiet study area if you only wanted to talk??
Old 12-03-2009 at 10:29 PM   #8
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
7. Elevators, man.... if your going one floor consider walking. Others have to go 5 or six floors. You are all young no one should take the elevator down that's for sure, if you have a legitimate health concern ok. If your just lazy then hike it!
This one bothers me everywhere! especially since some of the elevators on campus are super slow! Lately though I have started to understand. Sometimes people might injure themselves working out or doing something and even though they appear to be able bodied, stairs probably isnt the best idea. So honor system, if you can walk! take the one flight up or down!
Old 12-04-2009 at 01:30 AM   #9
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

I can't stand people who turn the volumes up on their computers and start watching videos with their friends. It's SO annoying. Either hang out somewhere else or put some headphones on. And I have no idea why people have to take the elevator from ground floor to the second floor. The funny thing is, some of them aren't even carrying heavy bags or have tons of stuff in their hands! OMG.
Old 12-04-2009 at 06:58 AM   #10
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:

2. If I can hear your headphones they are too effing loud! First because they are bothering me, secondly because they are effing up your hearing. You inconsiderate prick!
I do agree with most of these but for this one.. if you can hear the music or whatever then tell the person. I used to have sound deafening headphones which would basically block out sound from going in or out of my ears but then I lost them so I had to start using new ones which weren't as good. So sometimes my music was loud enough for others to hear but I didn't realize it because it was at about the level that I normally listened to it, but then someone politely poked my arm and told me that they could hear my music... so I turned it down and everything was fine.
So maybe next time just try letting the person know that you can hear the music or whatever coming from their headphones. It's not very difficult.

Old 12-04-2009 at 08:53 AM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I'm not a library studying kind of guy...but two things on the list irritated me slightly:

Quote:
6. Share the plugs! If you see someone pulling out their laptop let them know they can use your plug if they get low, its common courtesy.

6) If someone's laptop is dying, they might consider ASKING to use my plug instead of expecting me to go offer it to them. Face it, it's not important enough for me to go out of my way, interrupt my own studying and offer it to everyone who I happen to notice has a laptop.

I mean if someone said "Can I use the plug for a moment, my laptop's going to die?" I can't think of how anyone could refuse (unless their laptop was in the same state) without sounding like a complete blow-ass...so it's likely that's not what happened...the expectation of someone to go out of their way to offer you something you want is just unreasonable. It's like me expecting a professor to waltz up to me and say "Let's do a thesis." Sure it's possible, but I'd get the job done for sure with a little initiative.

Take home point: Good things come to he who asks. See also: The early bird gets the worm.

7) Taking the elevator down isn't any less useful than taking it up...though I agree, if you're going up/down a few flights you should make every attempt to do so without an elevator...but it isn't true that 'obviously you should just take the stairs when going down.'

In fact, since the act of going down a stair involves what's called an eccentric muscle action, it's actually more damaging to your muscles. So while you may get less fatigued going down, you quite literally shred your muscles on the way down.

Again it's not a big deal going down a few flights, since you have eccentric muscle actions all the time...but there are plenty of reasons why a perfectly healthy person would want to take the elevator down.

jade177, Keenu like this.
Old 12-04-2009 at 08:56 AM   #12
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

My only additions here would be to add the following:

11. With the amount of cheap cologne you are wearing, I can tell that you must get laid all the time. Why are you standing here in the library denying some lustful vixen her loin thrashing? Quick! Run to her! Dont let your gift waste away here sitting awkwardly close to me.

I work in the learning commons a lot at Mills, and it is a daily occurrence for me to get swarmed with incredibly loud guys who either smell like way too much cologne, a freshly smoked cigarette, or BO so strong that it has its own will to live.

It is a library, an academic workplace. Not the place to be screaming at your friends, dicking around, play-fighting, hitting on girls by being a loud abnoxious douche, or (and this one is important enough to get its own point ...)

12. STOP BEING VERBALLY ABUSIVE TO YOUR GIRLFRIEND/FEMALE FRIEND. I cant count the amount of guys I have seen offering to "help" a girl with math or something, just to turn around a minute later and be condescending, incredibly mean, and eventually getting to the point where they say things like "Just shut up or I am going to choke you out, you are an idiot and should just quit"(I have actually heard that), then laughing in the girl's face.

And somehow I am single and they arent, maybe that is the trick, wear way too much cologne and threaten to choke girls out for not knowing something I took last year. Sweet, now I'll get like 6 girlfriends.

(As far as the elevator, ALL campus elevators should have scanners that require an authorization card [student card] to use. You should have to have a medical reason[disability, injury, or extreme old age] to be able to use them, or be an employee with a book cart or something. Elevators waste a lot of electricity despite the whole counterbalance system. Force lazy students to walk!)

Last edited by Rossclot : 12-04-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Entropy, TTHX like this.
Old 12-04-2009 at 09:08 AM   #13
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
In fact, since the act of going down a stair involves what's called an eccentric muscle action, it's actually more damaging to your muscles. So while you may get less fatigued going down, you quite literally shred your muscles on the way down.

Again it's not a big deal going down a few flights, since you have eccentric muscle actions all the time...but there are plenty of reasons why a perfectly healthy person would want to take the elevator down.
I was at the library and heard I guy say something similar to a chick. He sounded like he knew what he was saying.
"Going up stairs is good exercise. Going down stairs is bad for your knees"
Old 12-04-2009 at 10:19 AM   #14
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
12. STOP BEING VERBALLY ABUSIVE TO YOUR GIRLFRIEND/FEMALE FRIEND. I cant count the amount of guys I have seen offering to "help" a girl with math or something, just to turn around a minute later and be condescending, incredibly mean, and eventually getting to the point where they say things like "Just shut up or I am going to choke you out, you are an idiot and should just quit"(I have actually heard that), then laughing in the girl's face.

So disgusting, how can people just sit htere and listen to that, ugh. I was watching this thing on TV where they staged this guy screaming at his girlfriend in the middle of a busy street and it went on for about 45 minutes before someone said something.
Old 12-04-2009 at 10:36 AM   #15
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

^^That's not quite a fair representation, it's human psychology to not get involved (the so-called "Bystander Effect" as well as "Diffusion of Responsibility")

Case in point: Kitty Genovese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese

xo.monica likes this.