MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rant but not really manap3000 Volunteering Opportunities 33 08-24-2010 07:44 PM
Rant. lawleypop General Discussion 28 10-20-2009 05:45 PM
Email Etiquette lorend Technology 9 05-26-2008 10:24 PM
Meals And Manners Etiquette Dinner Event Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-10-2008 07:39 PM
Meals And Manners ~ Etiquette Dinner 2007 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-17-2007 11:10 AM

Library Etiquette: Rant

Old 12-04-2009 at 10:50 AM   #16
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flag View Post
So disgusting, how can people just sit htere and listen to that, ugh. I was watching this thing on TV where they staged this guy screaming at his girlfriend in the middle of a busy street and it went on for about 45 minutes before someone said something.
umm.. you don't get involved with other people's fights. especially if it's a bf and gf having a verbal argument.
if the person says "help" then go and help, otherwise mind your own business.

Keenu likes this.
Old 12-04-2009 at 11:26 AM   #17
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
umm.. you don't get involved with other people's fights. especially if it's a bf and gf having a verbal argument.
I'm not saying that if you hear a fight you should immediately intervene, I'm just saying that I couldn't sit there and listen to it and I don't know how other people can.
Old 12-04-2009 at 12:15 PM   #18
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
I work in the learning commons a lot at Mills, and it is a daily occurrence for me to get swarmed with incredibly loud guys who either smell like way too much cologne, a freshly smoked cigarette, or BO so strong that it has its own will to live.
I seriously lol'd at this and I totally know where you're coming from. Sometimes the BO is absolutely putrid and you wonder how the hell can a capable human NOT understand to use deodorant.

Aslo, yeah man you have to be a dick to girls in order for them to like you didn't you know that? Geez girls hate it when you're too nice to them and don't give them a reason to have drama, therefore = boring life. /sarcasm
Old 12-04-2009 at 01:04 PM   #19
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

This rant can apply to lectures too.

In my philosophy class this morning, some girl was on her cell phone. It was a small room too - about 50 seats. She didn't even try to lower her voice, "Yeah, I'm in class. You can come get me if you want. I think it's done at 10:30"

Everyone turned and looked at her like "Are you serious?" It was so uncomfortable because the prof is too nice to tell her to get off her phone, so he just stopped talking and stood there. She didn't even care .. so ignorant.
Old 12-04-2009 at 04:39 PM   #20
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I'm not a library studying kind of guy...but two things on the list irritated me slightly:

In fact, since the act of going down a stair involves what's called an eccentric muscle action, it's actually more damaging to your muscles. So while you may get less fatigued going down, you quite literally shred your muscles on the way down.
DOMS!

Old 12-04-2009 at 05:08 PM   #21
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

does anyone know if there are extended library hours during exam time? I don't know why mac libraries close so early compared to other university libraries.
Old 12-04-2009 at 05:32 PM   #22
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
DOMS!

Woohoo, you know what I'm talking about.

"Who has it worse? Someone running up the stairs at the CN Tower, or someone running down?" my Ex Phys prof would say.

Turns out someone running down the stairs at the CN Tower, unless a professional athlete, risks kidney damage, even in excess of DOMS! *shrug* Not something I want to try, haha.
Old 12-04-2009 at 06:22 PM   #23
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
^^That's not quite a fair representation, it's human psychology to not get involved (the so-called "Bystander Effect" as well as "Diffusion of Responsibility")

Case in point: Kitty Genovese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese
OMG, I actually know what you're talking about. =D
GOOOOO PSYCHOLOGY (L)

but yeah, it AMAZES me that 30-something people stood and just WATCHED the poor girl get stabbed to death. -_-
Old 12-04-2009 at 06:29 PM   #24
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flag View Post
So disgusting, how can people just sit htere and listen to that, ugh. I was watching this thing on TV where they staged this guy screaming at his girlfriend in the middle of a busy street and it went on for about 45 minutes before someone said something.
OMG, in psychology tutorial, we watched a video of a man kidnapping this little girl in the busy streets of new york, I think.
so the girl would be walking, and the man would go up to her, pull on her shirt, try to walk away quickly with her, while she screamed "Help! Help! This isn't my parent!"

Basically EVERYONE turned to look, but no one did a THING.

after 4 HOURS of re-enacting this, someone FINALLY tried to stop it.

unbelievable.
but I get the whole diffusion of responsibility thing and by-stander effect, it makes sense and is human nature. =/
Old 12-04-2009 at 09:47 PM   #25
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Woohoo, you know what I'm talking about.

"Who has it worse? Someone running up the stairs at the CN Tower, or someone running down?" my Ex Phys prof would say.
She used this example this year too!

I cringe just thinking about how much pain you would be in.
Old 12-04-2009 at 10:31 PM   #26
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie012 View Post
I can't stand people who turn the volumes up on their computers and start watching videos with their friends. It's SO annoying. Either hang out somewhere else or put some headphones on. And I have no idea why people have to take the elevator from ground floor to the second floor. The funny thing is, some of them aren't even carrying heavy bags or have tons of stuff in their hands! OMG.
I can't stand people who do this in general. I very rarely go into Mills Plaza, but when I do almost all the screens I can see are filled with people watching TV shows. If I didn't have my own laptop and I needed to use one at the library for research, I'd be really pissed at all of the video watchers that monopolize the computers. I think it's totally selfish and inconsiderate.

Moo!io likes this.
Old 12-05-2009 at 12:51 AM   #27
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Can we add: First year girls PLEASE Stop giggling/laughing/making needless noise & taking those 30-40 in a row MacBook pictures in a wide assortment of poses in a open library space(eg: Learning commons?)

I just don't get how/why those pictures are amusing; they are even put on facebook afterwards :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Melanieee likes this.
Old 12-05-2009
FireDragoonX
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-05-2009 at 09:56 AM   #28
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
Not really on topic, but kinda related to what FireDragoon has to say. If you are person under attack you are not supposed to cry for "help!" but "fire!". Some people just assume when someone says help, they may be kidding. (i.e. drunk kids yelling help for no apparent reason) When people yell fire, everybody comes running to the rescue because they think it to be real. Just something I learned from a movie, thought I should share it.
Old 12-05-2009 at 10:04 AM   #29
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

aww, my awesome post got deleted.

anyways, I have heard the "fire" thing as well.