MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Core Selections Qadd First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-13-2010 10:59 PM
Help needed with cource selections for social science 1 amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2010 11:01 AM
Course Selections Help (Btech) Lolisuck First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-22-2010 12:08 PM
Course selections. Angoose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 05-07-2010 08:09 AM
Level II Science Program Selections - Hon. Bio? marcie Academics 3 04-04-2010 01:30 AM

REALLY confused about course selections

Old 06-09-2010 at 09:19 PM   #1
katherinelew

Liked: 0 Times

REALLY confused about course selections
alright so i've been going crazy with course selections, and how everything works and whatnot, and i have a few questions.

1. from what i understand, you have to have 30 credits each year. so depending on the courses that's about 5 each term (correct me if i'm wrong), and you register for all of these on SOLAR. what about tutorials? do you register for those on SOLAR as well, or is that done later?

2. i want to major in history, but i heard at mac you don't declare a major until second year. so how many of my first year courses have to be history courses? i don't really understand how many electives i can take, and how many are supposed to be courses in my program. also, with electives, am i only allowed to take courses in the faculty i'm in? or could i take courses that fall under social sciences as well?

thanks so so much to anyone who's able to answer these, my brains been spinning these past few days
Old 06-09-2010 at 09:31 PM   #2
Cassandraa87

Liked: 1 Time

ok, first of all yes you need 30 credits in total which equals out to 5 classes a term. When ever your date to enter in your selected courses is you will log on and you will enter in your 10 classes you have picked.. thats it. Then mac will automatically fill in tutorials and/or labs. near the end of august (could be another month im not positive) you will log back on and your schedual will be complete. That is when you will see the tutorials/ labs mac has entered in for you and you will be able to change those around to whatever day and time works for you and is available.

2. As for major your right, you dont declair till 2nd year. With that said 1st year is basically a time for you to move around and take a bunch of different things. Im in history as well and for 1st year take a minimum 2 history courses and you will be fine just have to get a 70% average between the two to be able to declair a history major in 2nd year. That means yes you will have tons of electives left so you can take anything you want from wither humanities or social science... my opinion choose a range of courses so you can see what you do and dont like without limiting yourself, cause you never know you might see that you are interested in something you never thought you would be

Hope that helps. If you have any questions you can email me at [email protected] l.com

katherinelew likes this.
Old 06-09-2010 at 09:32 PM   #3
TeleKey

Hey, Im going into Life Sci
But from what I know you just sign up for the courses on the June 27th and then when SOLAR reopens then you pick what times you want tutorials and lectures and stuff
Old 06-09-2010 at 09:45 PM   #4
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Maybe reading over some of this will help answer a few of your questions too?

http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/~history/undergraduate/Program%20Options.htm l
Old 06-09-2010 at 10:24 PM   #5
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Yes for first year Humanities you will need to take and complete 30 units to be allowed into a second year program. You will be taking all general courses including History courses, it will give you a chance to see what you like best, you might like something else more than History. Toward the end of first year you will choose 4 majors and then after you get your final marks for year 1 you will be accepted into any of those majors you qualify for and then you will choose one of them to continue with and major in.

I came to McMaster to major in History and went into Humanities Level 1 and took 10 courses and ended up majoring in Multimedia instead. I just knew I wanted to do that instead of major in History.

You need to look up the requirements for majoring in History but you probably just have to take TWO level 1 History courses. You might need to take specific ones though and achieve a certain grade in them to get into the program so you will definitely want to look that up. You will also need to achieve a certain overall average to be able to major in History. This information will be found somewhere on the McMaster website. I find Googling McMaster followed by whatever you're looking for generally helps so for example McMaster History major.

The link posted above actually clarifies some of it. You do need to take 6 units (two 3 unit courses) of Level 1 History (there are 5 courses to choose from apparently) to major in History and you can't take more than 12 units (4 courses) of Level 1 History.

Last edited by sew12 : 06-09-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2010 at 10:28 PM   #6
SamM

This website should help you out :
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1443.html

It basically answers all your questions about first year, if you wanted to head out into majoring in history.
Old 06-09-2010 at 10:36 PM   #7
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

In addition to what everyone else already said, take a look at second and third year courses you want to take, and use your electives to get the prerequisites (if any) for those in first year, so you don't have to worry about that next year.

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandraa87 View Post
made me rage inside.

sew12 likes this.
Old 06-10-2010 at 03:40 PM   #8
katherinelew

you guys are amazing, thanks so much!