MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mark As Sold - Changes Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-08-2010 12:12 PM
Need more information about a mark savannah123 Academics 9 01-21-2010 05:56 PM
What is a failing mark? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 01-10-2010 12:04 AM
Mark Check syan9184 Academics 18 12-25-2009 12:41 PM
McMaster Supplementary Fees as Charitable Deductions myster General Discussion 12 04-18-2009 10:23 PM

Reasonable mark deductions

Old 12-03-2009 at 09:58 AM   #1
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Reasonable mark deductions
Was hoping for some opinions on this before I take it to the TA:

On my paper, I was deducted 13 percent for:
No Page numbers (3%)
Length (2000 word essay was 1825 words... 7%)
and Inconsistant citation (apparently you need to cite 'This does not make headlines' 3%)

Page numbers? Ok, my fault.
Length? Not even 200 words short and 7%? That's my main WTF
Inconsistant citation- wasn't a big issue (just one missing where I didn't think it needed to be, and two in the 'wrong place'...) 3%?

I mean, this took me from an A to a B-... Should I complain, or is this legitimate and I'm just feeling cranky over it?
Old 12-03-2009 at 09:59 AM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Citation and Page numbers seem fair, but that 7% deduction is absolutely crazy. I'd go speak to your prof if your T.A. doesn't fix the problem.
Old 12-03-2009 at 10:05 AM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

The word length deduction is BS. It's about quality, not quantity. I would argue that one particularly.

Page numbers is legitimate... that's an explicit requirment in many of the classes I've taken. The citation one seems weird... I guess I'd have to see the context first (I don't think you could find a reference to how many headlines something created in the media, but maybe I'm wrong).
Old 12-03-2009 at 10:10 AM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flag View Post
Was hoping for some opinions on this before I take it to the TA:

On my paper, I was deducted 13 percent for:
No Page numbers (3%)
Length (2000 word essay was 1825 words... 7%)
and Inconsistant citation (apparently you need to cite 'This does not make headlines' 3%)

Page numbers? Ok, my fault.
Length? Not even 200 words short and 7%? That's my main WTF
Inconsistant citation- wasn't a big issue (just one missing where I didn't think it needed to be, and two in the 'wrong place'...) 3%?

I mean, this took me from an A to a B-... Should I complain, or is this legitimate and I'm just feeling cranky over it?
Inconsistant citation is okay. I know it seems small and picky, but it's better you lost 3% than received a zero.

I would complain about the length. Generally, when you're given a word count, you are allowed to be 250 words either above or below that, which you were. You shouldn't have lost any marks for that.

I would definately take this to the prof.
Old 12-03-2009 at 10:36 AM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I think the general rule of thumb you're supposed to use in regards to length is +/-10%, so in this case 1800-2200.

I would definitely talk to your TA, or the prof.
Old 12-04-2009 at 10:30 AM   #6
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Anyone know how I could start an email about this? I figure that the worst that will happen is I'll have the same grade as I do now...

Every time I try it sounds like I'm accusing him of giving me a crappy grade or not marking fairly or something.
Old 12-04-2009 at 11:09 AM   #7
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times

Dear <TA NAME>,

My name is <Your name>. I'm in the <enter time> tutorial for <class>. I was hoping it might be possible to meet with you to go over my paper, the grade I received and how I can improve my writing in the future. Would you be available in the next few weeks to meet and discuss this? If so, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and take care!
<your name>

While you are waiting you need to put IN WRITING why you think you deserve a higher grade. Verbal arguments are going to fall flat, a well written explanation of why you think that a 7% deduction might be too high will show that you've A) put thought into this and B) didn't show up just to weasel some marks out of the TA. DO NOT say the grade is unfair, even if it is unfair, it just puts the TA into defensive mode. You want them in co-operative mode. So talk about how you think the deduction might be too high, especially given the quality of the paper (if you have a good quality paper). Stress that you managed to articulate a good argument concisely, and that, perhaps, this should be rewarded since you purposely chose not to pad the paper with filler just to make the word count work.

Where you might get ambushed is if you left out some important information. The TA might say "Well, you never talked about X, which is really important. And you had the room left to talk about it, why didn't you?"

One response might be "If that's the case, then I should have lost marks on the quality of the paper, not the length. And if you did deduct the marks for leaving that out AND being short on words, I'm being double penalized for the same mistake." <- this could be a risky strategy.

If things don't work out with the TA, then you contact the professor. Don't go to the professor first as it undermines the TAs authority and is a good way to piss them off.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited by Bobble : 12-04-2009 at 11:15 AM.