MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Hamilton Bike-Share Survey Sustain11 Volunteering Opportunities 0 10-26-2011 08:35 PM
new scienc grad jobs cellphone Academics 8 07-09-2010 10:47 PM
Two Mac Post-Grad Students' Summer Jobs lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-05-2010 11:08 AM
How to apply for jobs over e-mail lawleypop Volunteering Opportunities 11 03-23-2010 09:04 PM

Recent Survey finds only 1-in-4 Mac students would apply to jobs in Hamilton

Via CHML

The McMaster Student's Union is trying to counter the findings of a recent survey.

It has presented Hamilton politicians with a series of recommendations after finding that fewer than 1-of-4 McMaster students would "definitely apply" for a job in Hamilton after graduation.

The MSU is insisting that a promotional campaign is needed to make students aware of what is available. Read more

DISCUSSION: Do YOU plan on getting a job in Hamilton? Or are you planning to get a job outside of the city and/or move out?
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 12-12-2011 at 12:54 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
I haven't even planned what I want to be for the rest of my life, who knows if its in hamilton
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 12-12-2011 at 01:10 PM   #3
husayn12
Account Disabled by User
Faculty: Health Sciences
Year: First

Liked: 25 Times
Nope not happening. Would never apply for a job here except if I had no other choice.

daniasa, mediagurl, SirPhil like this.
Old 12-12-2011 at 01:20 PM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member
Program: not entirely sure
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 203 Times
lol yea i agree with ryan i dont know what im doing this summer let alone after i graduate. but depending on what i end up doing ill probably still be here at Mac trying to do my masters/phd, or maybe med. so i feel like no matter what ill be here for a few years after i graduate anyways and some how end up getting part time jobs here and there

Old 12-12-2011 at 01:21 PM   #5
apples12
Program: Commerce
Year: Fourth

Liked: 91 Times
1 in 4 sounds about right...
Old 12-12-2011 at 01:21 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser
Program: Business Informatics
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 461 Times
I don't ever plan on getting a job in Hamilton, I'm only temporarily living here. It's downtown Toronto for me.

Old 12-12-2011 at 01:45 PM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Masters

Liked: 453 Times
As long as it's a good job I wouldn't mind, Hamilton is close enough to home/Toronto that I wouldn't be missing anything and Dundas/Ancaster/Stoney Creek/The Mountain are all really nice areas to live. As long as I'm not stuck living downtown or anywhere near the industrial area I'd be more than happy to work here.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 12-12-2011 at 01:47 PM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.
Program: Commerce
Year: Third

Liked: 1,373 Times
Kinda funny considering 99% of the people don't even bother going outside of campus yet still manage to acquire a super horrible impression.

And 3/4 are clearly just ignorant and/or over-privileged and think they can just waltz in to some dream job at some dream town and demand for a job and have it handed it to them.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Cliu91, TroubleStorm, _Luu_ all say thanks to lawleypop for this post.

Old 12-12-2011 at 01:48 PM   #9
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times
No, never. No offence meant to anyone living in Hamilton, but it is not exacty the greatest city especially if you come from the GTA. You study so much, might as well live in a good city; however, there can be different perspectives to this. Someone willing/wanting to engage in careers which involve helping the communities in need, then Hamilton wouldn't be a bad idea.

Nevertheless, Hamilton does have its fair share in natural scenic beauty if one cares to explore
Old 12-12-2011 at 01:54 PM   #10
Chevalier
Elite Member
Program: not entirely sure

Liked: 203 Times
^^^ now that i think about it Hamilton isnt a bad place to live at all, as long as i get a good job here, and find a nice place to live, i would love too. especially since you cant find things like "Dundas/Ancaster/Stoney Creek/The Mountain" and the Bruce trail system so close to any other major city in the south
Old 12-12-2011 at 01:55 PM   #11
_Luu_
Elite Member
Program: Medical Radiation Sciences (Radiation Therapy)
Year: Third

Liked: 184 Times
At this rate, I'll take any job that's handed to me or accepted to after graduation. Even Hamilton.

I'm starting to think for some (more like most), it's down to wherever you come from. I have a hard time imagining a Mac grad who grew up in The Beaches or Forest Hill in Toronto that would accept a Hamilton-based job.

In short, a lot of Mac students are from the GTA, and living in GTA means one is spoiled with all the amenities that Toronto has to offer.

Desda, drpatel like this.
Old 12-12-2011 at 01:55 PM   #12
husayn12
Account Disabled by User
Faculty: Health Sciences
Year: First

Liked: 25 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Kinda funny considering 99% of the people don't even bother going outside of campus yet still manage to acquire a super horrible impression.

And 3/4 are clearly just ignorant and/or over-privileged and think they can just waltz in to some dream job at some dream town and demand for a job and have it handed it to them.
Wow, those are some mighty interesting statistics you bring up to support your (baseless?) assumptions ... If you don't mind and if it doesn't put you through much trouble, could you provide some evidence for those claims?
Old 12-12-2011 at 03:24 PM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser
Program: Business Informatics

Liked: 461 Times
lawleypop is clearly just ignorant and/or over-privileged and thinks they can just make baseless assumptions without evidence for such strongly opinionated claims.

EDIT:

Chad, can you provide the link for the recent survey?
Old 12-12-2011 at 03:34 PM   #14
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Where would you get a job in Hamilton, unless you graduated from nursing or Health Science?
I'm from Hamilton, I love the city and I'd like to stay here, but realistically, there's not many jobs for people outside the health profession.

(Of course there are jobs, but not many like the kind that would be offered in a city like Toronto)
Old 12-12-2011 at 03:47 PM   #15
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid
Program: Sociology

Liked: 71 Times
Considering my attitudes towards Hamilton, i wouldn't doubt this. I'm pretty sure that people that get a University education don't imagine their ideal life coming from living in Hamilton, this may be callous, but there are so many better alternatives to Hamilton.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search