MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will you upgrade to Windows 8? Alexmahone Computers & Tech 15 06-25-2012 10:53 AM
upgrade course MacJk Academics 3 06-13-2012 08:11 PM
Windows 7: Upgrade Or Not? kanishka Technology 3 11-06-2009 02:02 PM

Redo or Upgrade a course

Old 12-20-2012 at 10:35 AM   #1
Shabina

Liked: 1 Time

Redo or Upgrade a course
Hi,
I was wondering if its possible to either redo or upgrade a course. I'm pretty sure from the exam that i did, i didn't do so well, and i need that course to get in to the program next year. What are my options? When can i re do or upgrade the course, whats the procedure for it? Thanks, all help is appreciated.

gabbynelly likes this.
Old 12-20-2012 at 10:52 AM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Wait for ur marks to come out. If you redo a course, your average for that class's marks will be taken for your cumulative average. However, summer does not affect program eligbility in second year.
Old 12-20-2012 at 01:03 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Wait for ur marks to come out. If you redo a course, your average for that class's marks will be taken for your cumulative average. However, summer does not affect program eligbility in second year.
Summer actually can affect program eligibility. The OP said that the course was required...and I'm assuming a certain grade is also required otherwise redoing it wouldn't really be a consideration. You can get conditional acceptances, where your acceptance into second year is conditional upon completing a certain required course in summer school. You should talk to an advisor to see if that's a possibility - I'm pretty sure I've heard of people retaking courses for this reason, but it's always good to double check.
Also, if a certain grade is required, I don't know if they'll average the two marks (like they do for your CA) or just take the best mark, for the purposes of determining if you meet that grade requirement.
Old 12-20-2012 at 03:34 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

It depends on the program you are trying to get into for second year but usually if it is competitive it is only based on marks during the year.
Old 12-20-2012 at 08:46 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
It depends on the program you are trying to get into for second year but usually if it is competitive it is only based on marks during the year.
I think it's different in different faculties. I know that for science, what I said applies for competitive programs as well.
Old 12-20-2012 at 09:55 PM   #6
NeuroPsych93

Liked: 1 Time

Is this for PSYCH 1X03? LOL
Old 12-21-2012 at 12:20 AM   #7
Mac-10

Liked: 17 Times

Relax Thomas you will be fine.
Now If it's a competitive program to get into then for those purposes it wouldn't make a difference to take it again in the summer, only chance would be a redo next semester if the course is offered in both terms.
Old 12-21-2012 at 01:53 PM   #8
Ever

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-10 View Post
Relax Thomas you will be fine.
Now If it's a competitive program to get into then for those purposes it wouldn't make a difference to take it again in the summer, only chance would be a redo next semester if the course is offered in both terms.
what if the course is not offered next term and it is a course that is required for a competitive program?
Old 12-21-2012 at 04:25 PM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever View Post
what if the course is not offered next term and it is a course that is required for a competitive program?
If it's not offered then you will have to wait until it is, and then try to switch into the program, or take it online/through another university. If you do this though, check with an advisor first because the grades you get in courses at other universities don't count for your McMaster average, so make sure that doing this would meet the requirements for the program you want.