Btech terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 03-22-2010 07:47 PM
About Btech ltswat Academics 1 06-07-2009 04:36 PM

reinsatement to eng/btech

Old 03-27-2013 at 12:22 AM   #1
kakarot

Liked: 6 Times

reinsatement to eng/btech
Hey everyone
i'll be applying for reinstatement to eng this june and i've some doubts . My gpa when i was kicked out was about 0.2 (i know) and i was wondering if i should mention getting reinstated to btech program if eng was full or do they automatically consider you for that?
Thanks for your answers =)
Old 03-27-2013 at 12:59 AM   #2
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

a 0.2??? did you even write any tests? wowww
Old 03-27-2013 at 01:07 AM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

It doens't hurt to try. But you should write down why you messed up and your plan to fix it ectc.

kakarot says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 03-27-2013 at 02:39 AM   #4
kakarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
a 0.2??? did you even write any tests? wowww
not really ... just midterms (only 1) and all the capa's.
Old 03-27-2013 at 02:48 AM   #5
kakarot

On a side note , is it even possible that eng gets so many applicants that there is no space for students applying for reinstatement? Also , can you guys give an approximate number of number of students getting reinstated each year ? Please .. any kind of advice is appreciated . Thanks again .
Old 03-27-2013 at 09:12 AM   #6
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

did you go to college and get grades that would show you are capable of changing your ways from your first attempt at engineering? if not, you wont have a hope in hell of being reinstated
Old 03-27-2013 at 09:48 AM   #7
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

What do you want? I know people usually just apply to both programs just to have a back-up in case one of them do not go through.

And NO ONE on macinsiders can tell you the # of engineering students that apply to first year engineering, talk to Sally Williams.

As long as you write a heartful letter, with documentation of some sort (Either medical/recommendations from work/school), you should be good.

A good letter should consist of

Paragraph 1 - Why you messed up (Medical problems/family problems here)?
Paragraph 2 - What you have done in the time away from McMaster?
Paragraph 3 - What are you going to do different this year (Throw in recommendations in here)

Do not waste McMaster's time with 5 letter pages.

Good Luck!

kakarot says thanks to mc_kumar for this post.
Old 03-27-2013 at 09:49 AM   #8
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

They usually consider special circumstances, but with a 0.2GPA... I mean, special circumstances means health or family issues; it doesn't mean especially low grade and excessively hard partying :S Not to say that's what you did, but that's the way the system will evaluate the situation.
Old 03-27-2013 at 10:26 AM   #9
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Unless you have valid reasons for doing poorly, you will need to take a year off if you haven't already and prove you're capable of doing better.

A friend of mine was reinstated with a 0.6, so don't fret too much. Grow as a person, show them you've grown as a person, and you'll be okay

kakarot says thanks to Kudos for this post.
Old 03-27-2013 at 11:48 AM   #10
kakarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
did you go to college and get grades that would show you are capable of changing your ways from your first attempt at engineering? if not, you wont have a hope in hell of being reinstated
I did , yeah. Did a couple of online courses from athabasca and got all A's and not to mention i already took the year off. couldn't do any community work though but only cause i had to work full time to pay-off my entire tuition fee and save some in case i get reinstated. i had some serious family issues that made me mentally incapable of concentrating in my school year (i'll post the letter some days from now) .. for the 2-3 months that i have(before mid-july) , is there anything i may do to make my chances better ?
Old 03-27-2013 at 12:03 PM   #11
kakarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
They usually consider special circumstances, but with a 0.2GPA... I mean, special circumstances means health or family issues; it doesn't mean especially low grade and excessively hard partying :S Not to say that's what you did, but that's the way the system will evaluate the situation.
not partying (i'm real shy ) :Nah: actually there was a death in my immediate family and my dad had some troubles with his job(he's the only one working) so i was home for about 3-4 months and i didn't care about school at all . honestly, at that time, school didn't seem to matter much. but now i realize my mistake and i want to get my life together. I'm just really worried cause on all the threads about reinstatement here , everyone had atleast a 2-3 GPA and i have a 0.2. What do you make of my chances?
Old 03-27-2013 at 12:07 PM   #12
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Then you probably have a much better chance. You do have to come up with a well written letter regardless, to show where you've been trying to start back up again.

kakarot says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 03-27-2013 at 12:10 PM   #13
kakarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Unless you have valid reasons for doing poorly, you will need to take a year off if you haven't already and prove you're capable of doing better.

A friend of mine was reinstated with a 0.6, so don't fret too much. Grow as a person, show them you've grown as a person, and you'll be okay
I did take the year off and got good marks in couple of online courses . I also do feel like a much more responsible and motivated person than before and i hope i could write a decent letter . your friend , besides doing well academically and having valid reason , did he/she did any other things as well like volunteering/community work/ field job ?
Old 03-27-2013 at 12:13 PM   #14
kakarot

I'm really sorry everyone for asking so many questions. It's just that i'm really tense these days and i really really want to start eng this year. I also had a free choice and a president's scholarship in my first year and i do have the documents for them. do you guys think that including them with my letter would be better or would like as if i'm bragging?
Old 03-27-2013 at 12:24 PM   #15
kakarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_kumar View Post
What do you want? I know people usually just apply to both programs just to have a back-up in case one of them do not go through.

And NO ONE on macinsiders can tell you the # of engineering students that apply to first year engineering, talk to Sally Williams.

As long as you write a heartful letter, with documentation of some sort (Either medical/recommendations from work/school), you should be good.

A good letter should consist of

Paragraph 1 - Why you messed up (Medical problems/family problems here)?
Paragraph 2 - What you have done in the time away from McMaster?
Paragraph 3 - What are you going to do different this year (Throw in recommendations in here)

Do not waste McMaster's time with 5 letter pages.

Good Luck!
Eng , definitely. but at this time i'm so desperate to start school that even b.tech would do. I talked to her some time back and she said it's different each year . I understand it's hard to predict things like this but hey i couldn't stop myself from asking =) Thanks for the format . and yeah 5 pages would probably be just too much =D