MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
reinstatement dannieb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-13-2010 08:53 PM
reinstatement gongshow Academics 4 07-10-2010 11:34 AM
Reinstatement gongshow Academics 0 06-20-2010 06:03 PM
reinstatement gongshow Academics 8 06-08-2010 11:44 AM

reinstatement

Old 06-14-2010 at 09:13 PM   #31
gongshow

Liked: 9 Times

So I volunteered 53 hours and got the reference letter from the volunteer resource office. I am going to write about volunteer experience in the reinstatement letter and I have wrote few things.
1) Volunteering has helped me set some new insights. I have worked with many patients and realized how I have been taking everything granted. (especially school) I was very lucky and privileged to go to university. Now i want to study to become someone that will make even slightest difference in the society and for myself as well. <-- This is indeed what I realized and I am thankful for it everyday. But I think this is too unoriginal. I can imagine committees saying "Yeah. Tell me something I haven't heard" It will put them to sleep and they may move on to next applicant before they even realize.
2) Volunteering in many departments helped me become flexible in various situations. I volunteered at emergency department, patient comfort and hemodialysis. Emergency department required me to quickly deliver lab results to the nurses and doctors. Another thing is to talk to the patients in the waiting room. They need to endure four hours of waiting on average and are extremely bored and frustrated. I learned to please them through the conversation. I would not say anything that will remind them of their injuries (varies from broken arm from the hit and run traffic to the laceration in the chin from skateboarding) because it usually backfired. “How are you feeling?” and you know how they would respond. I thought about the alternatives and asked them questions like “so what would you do first thing when you come home?” and they were receptive. Volunteering in the emergency department was easy because there were only few things I was obligated to do. But I learned skills such as critical thinking and social skills that becomes such a valuable asset in the university. I was in the ER twice a week and I have perfect attendance in ER session because I was very excited to see myself improve everyday and forming my own network.
What do you guys think?
Old 06-15-2010 at 10:54 PM   #32
gongshow

So I emailed my advisor to ask a few questions and she replied:

"Once your documentation is received at our Faculty office from the Office of
the Registrar, Dr. Ishwar Singh, our Associate Director, Bachelor of
Technology Four-Year Program will review your student file with me and make
recommendation to the Office of the Associate Dean regarding reinstatement."

Is she saying she will review the file and will recommend me regardless of the quality of file or she will only recommend if it catches her eyes?
Old 06-15-2010 at 11:01 PM   #33
gongshow

My friend said he has a friend who went to niagara college for one year for general science program. He had 85-90 average and was admitted to Brock University. Initially, it sounded convincing that I have so great chance. But there is difference between 'niagara college to brock' and 'mohawk to mcmaster' right? (Also he wasn't going for reinstatement, he just applied)
Old 06-15-2010 at 11:02 PM   #34
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

the Associate Director would review your file, read the information you have provided and will decide weather or not a recommendation will be made. You seem to have the ideas there, just make sure you have it checked for grammar. I also recommend using a thesaurus to aid in making your report sound better.
Old 06-16-2010 at 01:18 AM   #35
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

Yes, a thesaurus is a VERY good idea!
Old 06-16-2010 at 10:14 AM   #36
gongshow

My friend said he has a friend who went to niagara college for one year for general science program. He had 85-90 average and was admitted to Brock University. Initially, it sounded convincing that I have so great chance. But there is difference between 'niagara college to brock' and 'mohawk to mcmaster' right? (Also he wasn't going for reinstatement, he just applied)
Old 06-16-2010 at 08:27 PM   #37
gongshow

Question to you all:

Hypothetically, If I was a individual who was away from university for 4 years (85 gpa at college and inconsistent online university transcript) and there was another individual who was only year away (same GPA but no online university) who will be chosen for reinstatement? No preference for person away from university studies for longer period time?
Old 06-17-2010 at 04:35 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshow View Post
Question to you all:

Hypothetically, If I was a individual who was away from university for 4 years (85 gpa at college and inconsistent online university transcript) and there was another individual who was only year away (same GPA but no online university) who will be chosen for reinstatement? No preference for person away from university studies for longer period time?
Well, I would say that it wouldn't matter. I would rely solely on the marks and the letter of reinstatement that the students provide. But I'm not the one making the decision. I also have a feeling that if you called and ask they would say you don't have to know.
Old 06-17-2010 at 09:35 PM   #39
gongshow

I checked OUAC and B.tech is still accepting students. Should I be worried? (Chairman told me they are aiming for 175 students next year and I think they haven't came close to have 175 but what if enrollment is limited as students may apply and accept over next 2 weeks?)
Old 06-19-2010 at 06:03 PM   #40
gongshow

How can I write reinstatement letter originally without sounding it to 'usual'? (I do not want them to yawn when they read it over)
Old 06-20-2010 at 10:21 PM   #41
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshow View Post
I checked OUAC and B.tech is still accepting students. Should I be worried? (Chairman told me they are aiming for 175 students next year and I think they haven't came close to have 175 but what if enrollment is limited as students may apply and accept over next 2 weeks?)
You shouldn't worry about things that you can't control, it's not good for your health. If you can't control it, then what happens happens and you'll have to go from there.
Old 06-20-2010 at 11:20 PM   #42
gongshow

So I got to know a guy from me volunteering in the hospital. He had chin laceration and had to wait awful long time. I kept him company and we started to talkin about school. I told him my circumstance. (reinstatement to B.Tech) It turns out his mom is Sally Williams who is academic advisor for engineering. And she works with Dr.Maria White, who will read my reinstatement letter. How can I use this opportunity for good use? (Yes. I already talked to him and he says he will ask her) We all know people can do stuff if they want to. So what can I do to please them so that I can get desirable result?
Old 06-21-2010 at 12:07 AM   #43
siddu

Liked: 0 Times

maybe u can talk to his mother, and see what she says, i donno how it would influence dr maria though unless sally williams herself personally puts in a good for you
Old 06-23-2010 at 09:18 PM   #44
gongshow

my reinstatement letter
I do not think there was any extenuating circumstance that led to academic suspension. I was actually a student who had everything needed to succeed in university. My opinion for lack of success at McMaster University is that I was a very immature student who was irresponsible and had no concrete ideas on what he wanted to become after university education. I had no solid goal of what I wanted to do for a career. As a result, I felt no pressure to keep up with lecture, homework and assignments. I got behind too easily and catching up was impossible with no determination. I got behind even more as time elapsed and I had extremely poor final exams. Therefore, I came to conclusion that lack of responsibility and career goal are to be blamed for failure. But, I preferably do not want to consider it failure because I have become stronger student and person than I was in last academic session at McMaster University. So this is my reason for reinstatement request at this time. I believe I have spent last four years away from university to work on my inner game and academic skills. I have spent my success one year at biotechnology technician program at Mohawk College and my character has changed dramatically to accommodate competitive nature of university curriculum.

Now I will be expanding on my 2005-2006 academic session at McMaster to offer detailed explanation on what has gone wrong. Please note that I will be occasionally comparing my academic session at McMaster University (2005-2006) and Mohawk College (2009-2010) to explain my points and oversee what change has happened. First of all, my mindset going into each of school mentioned above is far too different. Before I went to university, my parents and I had never ending dispute on school. I wanted to stay extra year in high school and my parents wanted me to go to university. They were adamant about their views and I was adamant in mine. I chose to go away to university after I realized I was not going to win the argument. I only wondered about what lifestyle is like on campus, friends that I will be meeting on the residence and the city life etc… On the other hand, I was totally ready to study going into Mohawk College. I could not wait for the school to start and I was excited about studying. I also planned things ahead of time. I researched about biotechnology technician program at Mohawk College intensely to check the reputation, course offerings and even what my ‘plan B’ would look like. I sensed that I became responsible and mature individual than I was at high school. I also had strong obligation to work hard and succeed because I felt that my academic career would have to end if I did not succeed in college. I realized that it is very important to have good start in school and I will make sure I will start perfectly in university. Second, attendance in both school had tremendous difference. It was hard to see myself attend class at McMaster University and it was hard to see myself absent at lecture in Mohawk College. Despite of longer commute time to Mohawk College, I was attending class regularly. Professors emphasized lecture attendance was correlated to grades and I promised myself to believe it and execute it. It would have been very hard to achieve success without being responsible for my learning. I have been named Dean’s Honours List for each of two semesters to show for it. (See the documentations) Third, time management skill. I had tremendous time management skills during my times at Mohawk and I had atrocious time management skill at McMaster. Simply, I was not willing to prioritize my time with non-academic activities during 2009-2010 academic sessions. I finished all the homework first and rest of the time was devoted to chores and other commitments. At McMaster, I held regular attendance at the party and homework was put to bed. I have been taking great university education opportunity too granted. I assure you this will never happen again. I was also heavily involved in community with rigorous six hours per week volunteering at St.Joseph’s Hospital on Charlton Campus. I felt it was necessary to learn social skills, form my own networking and build my resume. I have done 56 hours of volunteering as of mid-June and I am still heavily involved. It just goes to show I am responsible for my success and is able to spend time wisely to realize success both academically and socially. Therefore, I am very confident that I will become competent student and worker in the future, which I believe is greatest asset as biotechnology student who will be involved in rigorous studies and 12 months obligatory co-op education throughout the school year.
Fourth and last, I had a goal to increase my chance of reinstatement during my times at Mohawk and I actively sought what grades were needed to be considered for reinstatement and what other extracurricular activities may be helpful to further increase my chance of reinstatement. At McMaster, I did not take any specific action and hopelessly hit the books and hoped that things would get better with time. I will give a good thought about what I need to become very distinguished biotechnologist in the future should I am reinstated to Bachelor of Technology program at McMaster. I am confident that planning and hard working to execute the plan will give me a bright future. I will never study at school without any concrete plans again. Reflecting on my time at McMaster University in 2005-2006, it really looked as I was moving ahead with zigzag pattern and has gotten lost. I will not repeat it on my second attempt at McMaster University.
My reason for choice of bachelor of technology program at McMaster is because it is extremely relevant to biotechnology technician program I have taken at Mohawk College. I strongly feel that transition will become easier. It is also the program that I have grown interest in after being offered overview of biotechnology by survey-course-like biotechnology course taken in semester two. I have keen interest in genetics and I liked how genetics and biotechnology was interrelated. Interrelation of genetics and biotechnology will further ease my transition to the program at McMaster University.
I have taken online courses at Athabasca University between 2006 to summer of 2009. I have taken numerous courses and I have been very inconsistent with each result. (Please refer to transcript) I hope to take 2006-2009 period as my time to reflect on the mistakes and mature. I am currently taking another online course this summer period and I hope that new focus, motivation and confidence gained from Mohawk College will yield better results.
I have taken this four year journey to seek chance to better myself. I realized it harder way that university education is very important to better myself in this competitive society we live in today. I will work very hard upon reinstatement and prove that positive decision will benefit myself and school.
Old 06-24-2010 at 08:13 PM   #45
gongshow

Here is brand new one. I changed structure.
I do not think there were any extenuating circumstance that led to my academic suspension. I was a student who had everything needed to succeed in university. In my opinion, my lack of success at McMaster University was due to the fact that I was a very immature student who was irresponsible, and I had no concrete ideas on what I wanted to become after university. As a result, I did not feel any pressure to keep up with lectures, homework and assignments. I quickly fell behind and catching up was very difficult without anydetermination. I fell behind even more as time elapsed and I had extremely poor final exams. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that a lack of responsibility and career goals are to be blamed for my failure. However, I do not want to consider it a failure because I have become a stronger student and person than I was in my last academic session at McMaster University. I have spent the last four years away from university to work on my inner game and academic skills. I have achieved success in the one year biotechnology technician program at Mohawk College and my character has changed dramatically to accommodate the competitive nature of the university curriculum.

Now I will be expanding on my 2005-2006 academic session at McMaster to offer a detailed explanation of what went wrong. Please note that I will be occasionally be comparing my academic session at McMaster University (2005-2006) to my experience at Mohawk College (2009-2010), in order to explain my points and describe my personal changes.
First of all, my mindset going into each school was very different. Before I went to university, my parents and I had a never ending dispute regarding school. I wanted to stay an extra year in high school and my parents wanted me to go to university. T I chose to go away to university after I realized I was not going to win the argument. I only wondered about what lifestyle is like on campus, friends that I will be meeting on the residence and the city life etc… On the other hand, I was very motivated going into Mohawk College. I could not wait for the school to start and I was excited about studying. I also planned things ahead of time. I researched the biotechnology technician program at Mohawk College intensely to check the reputation, course offerings and even what my backup plan would look like. I had a strong desire to work hard and succeed, because I felt that my academic career would have to end if I did not succeed in college. I have realized that it is very important to have a good start in school, and I will make sure I will start perfectly in university.
Second, my attendance at both schools was very different. I rarely went to class at McMaster, while I rarely skipped class at Mohawk College. I attendedg class regularly despite the longer commute to Mohawk. . The results are clear; I have been named to the Dean’s Honours List for each of the two semesters I was at Mohawk!
Third, my time management skills have greatly increased. Simply put, I made academic activities my highest priority during my 2009-2010 academic sessions. I finished all the homework first and the rest of my time was devoted to chores and other commitments. At McMaster, I regularly attended parties and homework was given a low priority . I was also heavily involved in the community with weekly volunteering at St. Joseph’s Hospital . I am very confident that I will continue to be a competent student, which is necessary for a biotechnology student involved in rigorous studies and a 12 month obligatory co-op education throughout the school year.

Fourth and last, I had a goal - to increase my chance of reinstatement during my time at Mohawk - and I actively researched what grades were needed to be considered for reinstatement and what other extracurricular activities would be helpful to further increase my chance of reinstatement. At McMaster, I did not take any specific action and hopelessly hit the books and hoped that things would get better with time. I will give thought to what I need to become a distinguished biotechnologist in the future, should I be reinstated to the Bachelor of Technology program at McMaster. I am confident that planning and working hard to execute the plan will give me a bright future. . I will do much better in my second attempt at McMaster University.
My reason for choosing the bachelor of technology program at McMaster is because it is extremely relevant to biotechnology technician program I have taken at Mohawk College. I strongly feel that the transition will be easier for me than it was coming out of highschool. I also grew interested in the program after being offered an overview of biotechnology through a survey course taken at Mohawk. I have a keen interest in genetics, and I like how genetics and biotechnology are interrelated.
I have taken online courses at Athabasca University between 2006 to summer of 2009. I have taken numerous courses and I have been very inconsistent with each result. (Please refer to transcript) I hope to take 2006-2009 period as my time to reflect on the mistakes and mature. I am currently taking another online course this summer period and I hope that new focus, motivation and confidence gained from Mohawk College will yield better results.
I have taken this four year journey to seek a chance to continue bettering myself. I have realized the hard way that a university education is very important to better myself in this competitive society we live in. I will work very hard upon reinstatement and prove that this experience will benefit myself and school.