MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
back to school list Chevalier First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 51 08-08-2010 06:28 PM
what will be the chance I can come back school hellrise00 Academics 1 06-02-2010 11:43 AM
Going back to (Med) School samikas Academics 22 07-21-2009 12:26 AM
When is the first day back to school?!! Salina Academics 6 08-12-2008 10:32 AM
Back to School tips Chad First Year Success 0 01-03-2008 07:43 PM

Reminders for Back To School

Tips for Back To School
By Chad Fullerton

With school starting, I've noticed 6 things that have caused long lineups or problems, and have simple solutions that can save you a lot of time. These include HSR pass, registrar/OSAP lineups, used books, food lineups, and computers on campus. See some tips below to help!

1) Using Student Card as a Bus Pass without a sticker
Your McMaster Student Card acts as a free HSR bus pass, but only if you have an official sticker that says 2007-2008 with HSR on it. These stickers were mailed out earlier this month. Stickers from last year don't work anymore. I saw two students get yelled at on my bus to Mac today by the driver who said he would confiscate her id card... one girl didn't even have the money to pay since they thought the card would work. Don't get stuck in that situation! If you haven't received your sticker for the year and are a full-time student, then contact McMaster to get your sticker. Bus fair is $2.25 otherwise.

2) Lineups for Food
The line-ups for food right now are very long as students all cram into the Student Centre to buy lunch. But remember... the Student Centre is only one of MANY OTHER PLACES to buy food! So go and look at the other places on campus where they sell exactly the same thing as in the Student Centre. Pizza Pizza, Mr. Sub, Tim Hortons, Pasta/burgers, are available at other locations. Come on guys, a 2 minute walk can save you an hour in line! See a map of the locations here. Don't forget, you can go to QUARTERS to lunch as well!

3) Everyone is at the Registrar's Office
Have you seen the line? Yes, it is very very long. Unfortunately there are people who wait in the line for hours, only to find out that the Registrar isn't the office they were looking for. If you have problems with your Payment Agreement or any financial issues, you need to go to the Student Accounts & Cashiers Office, which is in a different location. See Registrar's site here. See Student Accounts site here. If you are unsure where to go, phone them first, both offices have a phone number you can call to confirm before going there to wait in long lines. OSAP PICK-UP IS LOCATED IN THE STUDENT CENTER... NOT at the Registrar. So if you are looking to pickup OSAP, go to the third floor of the Student Centre.

Here is the info found on the Student Financial Aid & Scholarships website:
Quote:
Fall/Winter OSAP release for fully registered students begins on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 from 9:00am to 4:00pm in MUSC-314/315 and will continue weekdays until Friday September 14, 2007. In order to pick-up your loan, please bring the following:
4) Used books
A reminder that the UNDERCOVERS used bookstore is open and now has a large selection of books as upper-year students bring in their books to sell. This is a very valuable resource! So be sure to check them out... located in the Student Centre basement. Follow the signs.

5) Computers Are All Over Campus
While the library, especially MILLS library is a great place to find a computer. It is usually very full. University Technology Services runs Student Computing Centres all across campus which are computer labs filled with computers as well as a printer. Where are they located? See the lab listings here and visit one today!

I hope that helps people, be sure to post a comment if you have them. Goodluck! And welcome back to Mac

Fa11enAnge1, hamnahx02, macgirl2009, macsci, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-10-2007 at 06:49 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Don't spend so much time getting ready in the morning.

I don't understand why you think spending an hour straightening your hair, and wearing heels is going to help you academically.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 09-11-2007 at 09:21 AM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
Theres a 'social' side to life as well you know lol
Old 09-11-2007 at 03:30 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
There is a difference between social and slutty.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-30-2008 at 01:57 AM   #5
Dolce
Program: Russian
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS?

Liked: 0 Times
how is wearing heels slutty??
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:34 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post

I don't understand why you think spending an hour straightening your hair, and wearing heels is going to help you academically.
I agree! 150%. In highschool it was terrible, I don't know what to expect next year. And if it's not a friday night or saturday, etc.. WHat's the point of getting ready =F..
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:37 PM   #7
macsci
Elite Member
Program: Science
Year: First

Liked: 93 Times
To any of you first years: buy used books! will save you tons of money!
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:44 PM   #8
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member
Program: Mechatronics Engineering
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 103 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
I agree. For my first year of engineering I spent about $600+ on textbooks only to find out some could be easily found on DC++ or other torrent sites...

So to all you first year engineers coming in Sept. 2009 dont go out and buy every single textbook listed on Titles website. It's better to wait a few days to get a feel of what the prof is actually using but things like Lab notebooks, Safety Glasses etc you will definitiely use. Its just the textbooks you have to look out for. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:44 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
I hope so! By the time we go to the first classes and get the course outlines and such.. I hope they won't be gone by then, since I've heard they get sold fast!
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:46 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I agree. For my first year of engineering I spent about $600+ on textbooks only to find out some could be easily found on DC++ or other torrent sites...

So to all you first year engineers coming in Sept. 2009 dont go out and buy every single textbook listed on Titles website. It's better to wait a few days to get a feel of what the prof is actually using but things like Lab notebooks, Safety Glasses etc you will definitiely use. Its just the textbooks you have to look out for. Good luck!
Isn't it usually listed as Required and Optional.. or are some of the optional materials actually required?! (I looked at samples from the Titles website =))
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:46 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language
Year: Fourth

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post

LOL. So true. I'm in my damn sweatpants and sweater when I'm at school, especially for those dreaded 8:30 classes when I'm too tired to give a rats ass what I look like.

Sigh. I once waited in the Registrar line for like 20 minutes to realize it wasn't the OSAP line. The joys of being a first year...

-_____- ...
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:58 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
Isn't it usually listed as Required and Optional.. or are some of the optional materials actually required?! (I looked at samples from the Titles website =))
Yeah, but sometimes you don't need the textbook. Like in Chemistry, I never opened my textbook.
Old 07-03-2009 at 04:53 PM   #13
Kareko
Program: Biology
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 8 Times
Quote:
Yeah, but sometimes you don't need the textbook. Like in Chemistry, I never opened my textbook.
it depends on the person though, I found the chem and bio texts really helpful. Chem had good examples for problems and reading the chapters really helped for both.
on the other hand I found math and physics texts to be total wastes so your millage may vary..
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:28 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareko View Post
it depends on the person though, I found the chem and bio texts really helpful. Chem had good examples for problems and reading the chapters really helped for both.
on the other hand I found math and physics texts to be total wastes so your millage may vary..
Definitively depends on the person. I found the bio textbook was written very well and it's actually a good read.

I depending on my math textbook. It was my only way of learning math since the professor wasn't really good.

But yes, it depends on the person. It better to buy the book just to be safe, purchase them used if possible.
Old 07-03-2009 at 08:28 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I'm hoping to get the books as soon as possible.. Maybe in the next month or so.. or something.

Article Tools