MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repeat Biochem 2EE3 or Take another Biochem Thebe Academics 6 06-17-2012 12:01 PM
1280... A new bustling business or a repeat of last years' Quarters? Holowacj General Discussion 85 10-03-2009 04:09 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

Repeat Engineering

Old 06-03-2018 at 12:52 PM   #1
basita1

Liked: 1 Time

Repeat Engineering
Ive been thinking...
I really don't like mechanical as much as i say i do, but I'm almost done so I might as well finish it and get my degree. But is it possible and/or reasonable to come back and do electrical on top after? Sounds crazy I know but I really don't wanna be stuck doing something I don't enjoy for the rest of my life. Has anyone done something like this before, doing one engineering discipline and then another completely different right after?

Old 06-07-2018 at 06:47 AM   #2
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

I think you'd be able to do Electrical Engineering for your Masters, instead of obtaining another Bachelor's degree.

But please check the prerequisites you would need at various universities.
Old 06-14-2018 at 03:58 PM   #3
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

Wow, the coursework difference in those two programs is total, it's like 87 units difference. So you won't be able to do a two-year "second degree", you'll need to do another 3 years.

Looks to me like there's no way you'd be able to switch from one discipline to another for your master's with that much difference in coursework. A BEng in mech will know nearly nothing about electrical, you may as well be trying to do a master's in Buddhist theology.

With that in mind, in the work world there's a lot of interaction between mechanical and electrical engineers, so if you have 2 degrees you'll be at an advantage. Frankly, if you have the opportunity to do a second Eng degree, then it looks like a great idea to me, except for the extra tuition and losing another 3 years of your life. :-)

"I might as well finish it and get my degree" is a good and mature attitude to have. Though you may want to consider the value of that extra year of your life.

You should really talk to a departmental counselor though to make sure you're going to be able to do this. Engineering is a funny faculty, their rules are different. Maybe they can tell you whether you're better off finishing your 4th year mech, or just dropping back down to 2nd year elec.
Old 08-06-2018 at 12:36 AM   #4
saraluck9090

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
I think you'd be able to do Electrical Engineering for your Masters, instead of obtaining another Bachelor's degree.

But please check the prerequisites you would need at various universities.
Good answer