Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repeating Entrance Scholarship tallison Academics 6 03-06-2011 03:11 PM
repeating course shreya s. Academics 1 01-10-2009 01:21 PM

Repeating a course

Old 04-28-2013 at 12:04 AM   #1
Outlander

Liked: 0 Times

Repeating a course
This is my first attempt to study at a Canadian university. So please do not judge strictly. I am not sure that I will earn a good grad on my first graduate course. Could you please tell me, can I repeat this course? What are the rules on repeating courses? Should I pay additional tuition fee for that? First I have to talk about this with my supervisor or my professor on this course?
Old 04-28-2013 at 12:22 AM   #2
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

I think you pay the same amount, and the mark will be added to your average and will not replace the one from the failed course, but, you can submit a form to have your lab marks transfered to the new course.
Old 04-28-2013 at 12:26 AM   #3
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

You will have to make up the course on top of your normal courseload, but other than that you treat is just like the first time around. You just pay the normal tuition for the course, but there is no additional fee
Old 04-28-2013 at 07:14 AM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
This is my first attempt to study at a Canadian university. So please do not judge strictly. I am not sure that I will earn a good grad on my first graduate course. Could you please tell me, can I repeat this course? What are the rules on repeating courses? Should I pay additional tuition fee for that? First I have to talk about this with my supervisor or my professor on this course?
You are able to repeat it. Your mark upon second taking of this course will not be your final grade for the second time around, it will be average of the two marks. Yes it costs money to repeat a course, undergrad or not. You don't have to talk to your supervisor, but it's a good idea, but it isn't necessary to re-take it; you just go through the same procedures you would have as if you were signing up for it the first time. Like somebody said, if this course involves labs, or other supplementary work, you can request to your supervisor or professor to use the marks from last time (presuming you did good on them and don't want to do them again). What's the course, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-28-2013 at 09:17 AM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

All of the answers that people have given are for undergrads...the OP is a grad student.

This is an undergrad forum, most of the people here are not grad students. With grad school it probably depends on the program, but I really don't have time right now to search the school website for you
Old 04-28-2013 at 09:19 AM   #6
sf

Liked: 36 Times

You DEFINITELY need to speak with your supervisor about this situation. They will be able to advise you best based on your specific situation and course requirements. They will find out how you did in the course whether you tell them or not, however if you are struggling I am sure they would rather hear it from you and not by looking at your grade.
Old 04-28-2013 at 08:24 PM   #7
Outlander

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you very much for your advice!