MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Required Abin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-28-2013 09:07 AM
required vs elective? gallagaj Academics 2 01-04-2011 10:04 PM
The Marathon Counting Continues Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-05-2010 01:40 PM
Vote Counting Process lsmith MacInsiders Announcements 2 11-07-2009 06:24 PM
required course already taken robvvrob Academics 3 06-28-2009 10:20 PM

Required course counting as elective? please help

Old 05-03-2014 at 01:14 PM   #1
lolidunno

Liked: 12 Times

Required course counting as elective? please help
I'm in H. Math and Econ and I was hoping to graduate this last semester but it turns out I failed my last math exam (and ended up failing the class).
I thought I wasn't gonna be able to graduate but I just checked my degree audit and one course, Math 2FM3, is being counted as elective instead of required. It has been listed as an elective since 2nd year after I took it. Is this just a mistake by the uni? If it got counted as required I would have enough to graduate.
My program requires 9-18 units of electives and I have 18 right now. If I take Math 2FM3 out from there and put it my list of required courses I still end up with 15 units of electives. Why would they list it as elective? :(
Because of this I thought I needed one more math courses to graduate, even an academic advisor told me this back in january. I ended up taking Math 3FF3 this last semester and failing so now I'm not even sure if I'm gonna graduate because my degree audit it says I'm missing a course.
It appears I had to pay a ton of money for an extra course I didn't need that also ended up messing up my average. Do I have a case if I were to complain to get the course I failed not count towards my average? or maybe get my money back? I hope I will at least be able to graduate....

tl; dr: i require a certain number of math courses to graduate. for some reason one required course i took in second year got counted as elective instead. as a result, it seems I wrongly thought i needed one more course to graduate, which i took and failed.
Old 05-03-2014 at 04:47 PM   #2
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolidunno View Post
I'm in H. Math and Econ ... Math 2FM3, is being counted as elective instead of required. .... Why would they list it as elective? :(
Math 2FM3 (2K03) is not a required course for your program. MATH 2C03, 2R03, 2X03 (or 2A03), 2XX3 (or 2AB3), 3A03, 3X03 are required.

Quote:
Do I have a case if I were to complain to get the course I failed not count towards my average? or maybe get my money back?
Nope.

Last edited by Moghue : 05-03-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2014 at 05:30 PM   #3
lolidunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moghue View Post
Math 2FM3 (2K03) is not a required course for your program. MATH 2C03, 2R03, 2X03 (or 2A03), 2XX3 (or 2AB3), 3A03, 3X03 are required.

Nope.

I already have credits for all those... besides those courses my program also requires 12 units in any other level II, III or IV mathematics courses. I would need 2FM3 to complete those 12 units, as I'm currently missing three meanwhile 2FM3 sits in my list of "electives".
Old 05-03-2014 at 05:36 PM   #4
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
I already have credits for all those... besides those courses my program also requires 12 units in any other level II, III or IV mathematics courses. I would need 2FM3 to complete those 12 units, as I'm currently missing three meanwhile 2FM3 sits in my list of "electives".
I listed the required. You have all the required courses. This is why it is not listed as required but an elective.

Quote:
12 units Levels II, III, IV Mathematics, Statistics with no more than six units at Level II, and at least three units at Level IV (See Notes 3 and 4 above.)
These are electives within mathematics/statistics, not required like the specific list above.

TBH, we would need to see your whole degree audit to figure out exactly what is going on.

Edit. If you have more Math&Stat courses then required, it would also be pushed into elective. Although I doubt this is the case since it has been like this since 2nd year.

Last edited by Moghue : 05-03-2014 at 05:43 PM.

lolidunno says thanks to Moghue for this post.
Old 05-03-2014 at 06:08 PM   #5
lolidunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moghue View Post
I listed the required. You have all the required courses. This is why it is not listed as required but an elective.

These are electives within mathematics/statistics, not required like the specific list above.

TBH, we would need to see your whole degree audit to figure out exactly what is going on.

Edit. If you have more Math&Stat courses then required, it would also be pushed into elective. Although I doubt this is the case since it has been like this since 2nd year.
Sorry, I got the terminology wrong. You are right right, it should be listed as one of my math electives that make up those 12 units I need to have. I'm apparently missing 3 of the 12 units of math electives but I have 2FM3 in my list of general electives. I need 9-18 units of general electives to graduate and I have 18 right now.

I guess I will have to call on Monday and find out for sure, I'm just really anxious since I'm not sure if I will be graduating!
Here's a pic of my degree audit, let me know if you can come up with anything, if not thanks anyway!
Capture.jpg