MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partial Course Load and Medical School TLulu Academics 2 09-10-2010 01:34 PM
Required courses in summer school kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 01-05-2010 02:23 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Course load for Med school Potential General Discussion 7 11-05-2009 02:03 PM
Summer School - Course Load sinthusized Academics 3 03-19-2009 12:02 AM

required course load for med school application

Old 08-10-2011 at 07:02 PM   #1
dkqjwl

Liked: 0 Times

required course load for med school application
I'm planning on applying to either Canadian or American Medical school after finishing undergrad here.
If I take 9~5 courses during regular school term and take the rest to complete 30 units during summer, would that bring me any disadvantage?
I am very nervous about not doing well in school, so I was considering to reduce the course load, but I have heard that some schools only consider grades from full course load- 10 per year.
Someone please help me to clarify this.
Would this be similar when applying to American medical colleges?
Old 08-10-2011 at 07:09 PM   #2
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

I don't know the details (because I really couldn't care less about going to med school), but think about it this way: if med school (as most professional schools are) is really stressful with an intense workload, how does lowering your workload during undergrad prepare you any better for when you leave?

Like I said, I don't know anything about med school, but to me it doesn't make much sense to take an easy load to get in, then be screwed over once you're there because of the even greater workload than what you're supposed to have had.
Old 08-10-2011 at 07:10 PM   #3
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Take 5 courses a semester, every semester.
Old 08-10-2011 at 09:05 PM   #4
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Take a full courseload. Some schools explicitly request this, some don't. Either way, if you have a 3.9 GPA taking a reduced courseload, it's not going to compare with someone with a 3.9 taking a full courseload. They want to see applicants who can handle med school and undergrad courseload is one indicator of that.