MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
required number of second year courses? CarinaC Academics 2 06-10-2011 10:12 PM
How many 2nd and 3rd year courses are you required to take? snair Academics 4 05-27-2011 10:16 AM
Required courses are full anthony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-30-2010 12:15 AM
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Required courses in summer school kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 01-05-2010 02:23 PM

Required Courses Full!!

Old 06-15-2011 at 11:31 PM   #1
luna

Liked: 10 Times

Required Courses Full!!
I'm in general sciences (or on academic probation) and I want to take second year life sci courses to be able to switch into life sci after my 2nd year. However, I went on mugsi at 12:01 (when solar opens for level 2 science students) and I got on solar at around 1:00 or so. Surprisingly, by then all the biology and life sci courses were full!!!! I talked to an academic advisor about what to do now that the courses I need are full but she said she couldn't do much and told me that priority goes to students who are in the program. She also gave me the names of some department heads who I could talk to and have them put me into the courses.
But I don't know what to do? Does this mean that if the course is full and there are other science students waiting to get in than my chances will be lowere even more.
Can anyone suggest what I can do (I'm already going to talk to the department heads)? Has anyone been through this, what have you done? Also, where can I find Kathy MacIntosh (takes care of biology courses) and Sarah Robinson (takes care of life sci courses)...I mean will they be in the science office in BSB.
thank you!
Old 06-15-2011 at 11:33 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
I'm in general sciences (or on academic probation) and I want to take second year life sci courses to be able to switch into life sci after my 2nd year. However, I went on mugsi at 12:01 (when solar opens for level 2 science students) and I got on solar at around 1:00 or so. Surprisingly, by then all the biology and life sci courses were full!!!! I talked to an academic advisor about what to do now that the courses I need are full but she said she couldn't do much and told me that priority goes to students who are in the program. She also gave me the names of some department heads who I could talk to and have them put me into the courses.
But I don't know what to do? Does this mean that if the course is full and there are other science students waiting to get in than my chances will be lowere even more.
Can anyone suggest what I can do (I'm already going to talk to the department heads)? Has anyone been through this, what have you done? Also, where can I find Kathy MacIntosh (takes care of biology courses) and Sarah Robinson (takes care of life sci courses)...I mean will they be in the science office in BSB.
thank you!
Just e-mail the heads and keep on trying until the drop/add deadline. Kathy is in LSB on the 2nd floor. If you just search for her name on the McMaster website you should get get contact information.
Old 06-19-2011 at 11:18 AM   #3
luna

I got into the biology courses I needed but I have 4 life sci courses that I still need to register for and they are still full. I've been checking solar every day more than once per day. I e-mailed sarah robinson about this but she won't be in office from june 13 to june 20 and my solar session ends june 21. What will I do if I don't have all the required courses for the program I want and my course load isn't full when solar closes on june 21? also, when does solar close on june 21, is it 12:01am? is there a chance that i can select the courses when solar opens again?
plz help...thank you!!
Old 06-19-2011 at 11:23 AM   #4
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Keep in mind that SOLAR opens up again on July 11th.
Old 06-19-2011 at 11:26 AM   #5
luna

[quote=particle;252305 ]Keep in mind that SOLAR opens up again on July 11th.[/quot

so does that mean it'll be too late to get into the courses I need?
Old 06-19-2011 at 12:57 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

[quote=luna;252306]
Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
Keep in mind that SOLAR opens up again on July 11th.[/quot

so does that mean it'll be too late to get into the courses I need?
Classes Start in September and the add/drop deadline for term 1 and 3 courses is in September.
Old 06-19-2011 at 01:39 PM   #7
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

im confused why do u need 4 life sci courses, you seem to be getting into bios so u shuld take bio 2b03 and 2f03 (2 life scis down), so don't u need 2 more
Old 06-20-2011 at 07:59 AM   #8
luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
im confused why do u need 4 life sci courses, you seem to be getting into bios so u shuld take bio 2b03 and 2f03 (2 life scis down), so don't u need 2 more

I want to get into life sci after 2nd year so wouldn't I need courses with LIFE SCI code name. If I take bio courses I don't know if that will fill the life sci requirement.
Old 06-20-2011 at 09:22 AM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
I want to get into life sci after 2nd year so wouldn't I need courses with LIFE SCI code name. If I take bio courses I don't know if that will fill the life sci requirement.
It's the same exact course, same profs, lecture, everythin, just 2 diff codes for diff Bio/Life Sci programs and students. So, yes, it wold satisfy the Life Sci requirements.
Old 06-20-2011 at 09:39 AM   #10
luna

ok so I got into life sci 2d03 and sarah robinson said she's going to see if she can place me in life sci 2a03. so now I only need biology 2f03 or life sci 2n03/2c03/2h03 (one of these) to fulfill the level II requirement. what bio courses can I use to replace the life sci courses? I know only bio 2ee3 is open still.
Old 06-20-2011 at 11:24 AM   #11
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I don't know this for sure so don't take my word for it, but I had the same problem with a humanities course. If it's mandatory that you take this course (like it was for me), then you have to fill out a waiver form. I called an academic advisor and she said that I needed to fill out a waiver form. I had to do this an it was an online operation, but I just checked the life sci page and you have to print it out and fill it out.

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/lif...s-a-forms.html

It's near the bottom left in maroon writing. I'm not sure who you hand it in to, but I would assume the life sci office. Sorry I can't be more help!

Also, as I said, I'm not positive that this is the approach you have to take, but it ultimately makes sense.
Old 06-20-2011 at 11:48 AM   #12
luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I don't know this for sure so don't take my word for it, but I had the same problem with a humanities course. If it's mandatory that you take this course (like it was for me), then you have to fill out a waiver form. I called an academic advisor and she said that I needed to fill out a waiver form. I had to do this an it was an online operation, but I just checked the life sci page and you have to print it out and fill it out.

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/lif...s-a-forms.html

It's near the bottom left in maroon writing. I'm not sure who you hand it in to, but I would assume the life sci office. Sorry I can't be more help!

Also, as I said, I'm not positive that this is the approach you have to take, but it ultimately makes sense.
what's a waiver?
Old 06-20-2011 at 12:21 PM   #13
luna

I filled a waiver for life sci and e-mailed it to them (it said I could e-mail it as pdf). How long will it take for the process to take place?
Old 06-20-2011 at 01:30 PM   #14
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I got a response for the class I wanted 3 lor 4 days later.
Old 06-20-2011 at 02:29 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
ok so I got into life sci 2d03 and sarah robinson said she's going to see if she can place me in life sci 2a03. so now I only need biology 2f03 or life sci 2n03/2c03/2h03 (one of these) to fulfill the level II requirement. what bio courses can I use to replace the life sci courses? I know only bio 2ee3 is open still.
It's not a Bio course but Biochem 2EE3 is equivalent to Life Sci 2EE3 I believe.