MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
med school requirements MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-11-2012 12:05 PM
requirements for med school kwyhan Academics 3 09-14-2010 10:58 PM
Veterinary School Requirements? Mr.Prodigy Academics 1 09-09-2010 05:16 PM
Ontario Medical School Requirements samtheman89 Academics 54 08-28-2009 02:20 PM
course requirements for med school nadia1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-07-2009 02:35 PM

What are the requirements of getting into medical school?

Old 06-16-2012 at 09:15 AM   #1
maay29

Liked: 3 Times

What are the requirements of getting into medical school?
...and Specifically what courses do McMaster students need to take. What Level I and Level II courses do you have to take? Any other advice, information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2012 at 10:57 AM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maay29 View Post
...and Specifically what courses do McMaster students need to take. What Level I and Level II courses do you have to take? Any other advice, information would be appreciated.

Thanks
You really need to look at the specific med schools you're interested in. For example, Mac med has no required courses...other universities have several. Go on the OMSAS website or on the websites from each individual school and look it up. There's no generic "med school requirements" that works for all schools.

Most people take what you would expect...first year chem, first year bio, first year physics (not 1L03), and orgo. Some universities also have humanities/soc sci requirements. Some people just take these courses (such as orgo or physics 1BB3) because the material is on the MCAT.

maay29 says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 06-16-2012 at 11:11 AM   #3
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
You really need to look at the specific med schools you're interested in. For example, Mac med has no required courses...other universities have several. Go on the OMSAS website or on the websites from each individual school and look it up. There's no generic "med school requirements" that works for all schools.

Most people take what you would expect...first year chem, first year bio, first year physics (not 1L03), and orgo. Some universities also have humanities/soc sci requirements. Some people just take these courses (such as orgo or physics 1BB3) because the material is on the MCAT.
Biochem is also a pretty common requirement. But yeah, it differs from school to school. I'd suggest making a chart of the requirements. Some clubs at Mac also give out these charts to their members.

maay29 says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 06-16-2012 at 11:24 AM   #4
karna

Liked: 28 Times

http://www.oxfordseminars.ca /MCAT/mcat_profiles.php

maay29 says thanks to karna for this post.
Old 06-16-2012 at 11:49 AM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

for 2012, direct from ontario

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/rc_omsas_e.pdf
Old 06-18-2012 at 08:01 AM   #6
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Think that you have the hardest workload of any program regardless of how few hours of class you have per week. At least thats what all the people i know in health sci do, kinda annoying when they have like 3 hours of class each day, and two days off a week... and they tell me how much more difficult their program is than say engineering, which has 40 hours of class/lab time a week.
Old 06-18-2012 at 08:09 AM   #7
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Think that you have the hardest workload of any program regardless of how few hours of class you have per week. At least thats what all the people i know in health sci do, kinda annoying when they have like 3 hours of class each day, and two days off a week... and they tell me how much more difficult their program is than say engineering, which has 40 hours of class/lab time a week.
I think their workload is not quantified in the number of hours of class a week. Even though that may be the case for many programs, one of my friends told me that they had many group presentations/papers/PBL, which requires a lot of time to do well. So I guess, they're not always using that as free time

related to thread:
Depends on what university you're choosing. A lot of universities have different requirements and there might be changes every year. But if I can remember well enough... it's just some first year bio courses 2 social science/humanities courses. Some don't even have any prerequisites and there maybe other requirements that you'll need to take into consideration. I suggest doing your own research and making your own list.

maay29 says thanks to kaitotst for this post.
Old 06-18-2012 at 09:49 AM   #8
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitotst View Post
I think their workload is not quantified in the number of hours of class a week. Even though that may be the case for many programs, one of my friends told me that they had many group presentations/papers/PBL, which requires a lot of time to do well. So I guess, they're not always using that as free time.
Very true. I know they have a lot of memorization material in their courses. I just have always wondered how a program which produces our furture doctors, has so few courses to teach them. Like I would assume that a doctor would need to have an equivalent amount of knowledge instilled in them as would an engineer (of course different strands of knowledge!) I just always thought they should have a heavier course load
Old 06-18-2012 at 09:57 AM   #9
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Very true. I know they have a lot of memorization material in their courses. I just have always wondered how a program which produces our furture doctors, has so few courses to teach them. Like I would assume that a doctor would need to have an equivalent amount of knowledge instilled in them as would an engineer (of course different strands of knowledge!) I just always thought they should have a heavier course load
I'm rather confused - are you talking about Mac's med school or Mac's health sci program? This thread is about med school but you seemed to mention Health Sci in one of your earlier posts.

In either case, sitting there in 40 hours of lecture per week isn't conducive to learning. Going out to the hospitals, doing observerships (or whatever they're called at Mac), tutorials, and large group sessions (i.e., lectures) are all important for learning and are arguably more useful than just lectures.

This is why both Health Sci and Mac's med school have fewer class "hours". Because much of your 'free' time is spent preparing for tutorials, studying on your own, following physicians, etc.

(Most of the examples given here are for Mac's med school, which I am more familiar with than their Health Sci program).

Also, I hope when you talk about "producing our future doctors" you aren't talking about Health Sci, but are talking about Mac's Med program. Health sci is just some undergrad program. It doesn't have much to do with medicine.

maay29 says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.
Old 06-19-2012 at 02:04 PM   #10
RandyR

Liked: 1 Time

Google "Canadian Medical School Profiles- Oxford Seminars" and check the first link. The site may be a bit old but the info is still pretty useful.
Old 08-02-2012 at 06:44 PM   #11
Rahma_M

Liked: 2 Times

most med school require bio, chem, physics and their corresponding labs as well as one year of English/ humanities .. some also want courses in biochem, and most need at least one year of organic chem ... but the courses needed ultimately depend on which med school you want to go to
Old 08-02-2012 at 07:03 PM   #12
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

The OMSAS booklet is your best source of information. It's sad how misinformed many people are.
http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/b_omsas_e.pdf