MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
requirements for med school kwyhan Academics 3 09-14-2010 10:58 PM
medical school!! ishk33 Academics 13 07-30-2009 09:42 AM
Ontario Med School Requirements Lois Academics 48 07-11-2009 09:17 PM
course requirements for med school nadia1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-07-2009 02:35 PM
medical school req Avenger Academics 2 10-06-2008 09:10 AM

Ontario Medical School Requirements

Old 10-11-2008 at 12:02 AM   #1
samtheman89

Liked: 18 Times

Ontario Medical School Requirements
Medical School is a goal for many people, especially those in science and health sciences.

A lot of people want in, which in turn creates a lot of rumors about the requirements for medical school.

So here it is. Straight up.

Your GPA needs to be a 3.0 in order to be considered. If you want a better shot, get it above 3.7.

You do not need orgo, or "english courses". Here is what you do need:

McMaster: At least 3 years of an Undergrad Degree

Ottawa: -1 year of soc sci/ a humanities course.
-1 year of bio with a lab.
-a combination of two years of: 1 year of orgo with labs, 1 year of biochem (no lab needed), 1 year of chem with labs.

Queens: - 1 year of humanities/soc sci
- 1 year of biological sciences (bio/anatomy/genetics etc.)
- 1 year of physical sciences (chem/physics/orgo)
- MCAT

Toronto: - 1 year of humanities/ soc sci
-2 years of life sciences (Biochem, Anatomy,Bio, Microbio, etc.)
- MCAT

Western: - MCAT

So there it is. As of now at least.

I know you'll hear about a lot of people taking orgo, or some random soc sci course, just because "it's required for medical school", but don't believe the rumours, and don't panic!

Usually through the course of a science program, you'll pick up the required science courses. And take some humanities/soc sci courses, a lot of them are really neat!

Orgo may be useful for the MCAT, but don't waste 6 units on a course if you don't like it.

Also don't do extracurrics just cause it may look good for medical school. Be yourself and do things you like.

Just work hard, and be yourself.
Old 10-11-2008 at 04:42 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

That's some good advice about extra curricular activities!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-11-2008 at 08:52 PM   #3
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

what is orgo?
Old 10-11-2008 at 11:13 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Organic Chemistry

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-12-2008 at 01:29 PM   #5
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

Now I do agree with you that most, if not all medical schools in Ontario have little to no pre-req at all in terms of courses. But it is not true when you generalized medical schools and say that you don't need Orgo or English.

Medical school is very school dependent, some schools require certain courses that others don't. Take UBC for example, you need a full year of English, Biochem, Organic Chem, Bio, and general chem. Whereas Mac, you only need a minimum of 3.0 GPA and completed at least 3 years of undergrad to apply.

It is also important to note that some people take Orgo/Physics/English because they want to keep their options open to schools in the US or Caribbean since everyone knows how competitive it is to get into Medical school in Canada
Old 10-12-2008 at 01:37 PM   #6
samtheman89

Liked: 18 Times

I was only detailing Ontario Medical Schools.
Old 10-13-2008 at 11:31 AM   #7
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

A more realistic gpa to have a shot at an Ontario med school would be >3.8. It's true that Mac accepts applications from >3.0 but not many people get in below 3.5. Check out the attached document for McMaster medical school entrance statistics for the class of 2010. It's true that every year it changes, but usually, unless the class size increases, they will be looking for better and better grades and experiences.

Check the prerequisites carefully. A lot of schools require orgo. All U.S. schools require English and Physics.

Don't forget about weighted gpa's. Example, U of Ottawa has a formula for
wgpa = (gpa 1st year X 1) + (gpa 2nd year X 2) + (gpa 3rd year X 3)

If you have taken full course loads each year, UofT will get rid of your lowest full year course (or 2 term courses) for each academic year.

Many schools have lower minimum gpas, but have a specific gpa cutoff each year that is much higher. For UCalgary, they require an initial score of 451ish(a bit lower now cause they increased class size), using their crazy formula of MCAT BS, VR, and most recent 2 year gpa. UOttawa had a cutoff of 3.85 last year. I should know, because I received this e-mail from them last year:

"Your application was carefully reviewed and we regret that your academic performance does not meet the set standard for the category of in-province candidates, which allows your application to advance further in the evaluation process. The required cut-off of grades for the weighted grade point average is 3.85 / 4.00."

It's probably not going to change this year, and if it does, it'll most likely increase, unless they increase the class size. I had a 3.82 Cgpa last year, sucks. This year I'm above it though

If you're going to apply to med school, apply around the world. Ireland medical schools are one of the most well-respected by Canada. They just cost so much. Check out the Atlantic Bridge program for them. Australia schools are much easier to get into, requiring only a 24M MCAT and 2.7 gpa. If you are thinking about Carribbean, be aware that some schools are not accredited by Canada if you want to come back here to work.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Selection_Class_of_2010.pdf (18.3 KB, 725 views)

aya017, knight_ryder, luna, pinkshuniza, Rhythm, zango, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to mitch for this post.

amna_m20 likes this.
Old 10-20-2008 at 10:16 PM   #8
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

Sam, last time I checked U of T asked for a Physics course. Ottawa also wanted a Biochem with lab. (and another one without lab, I'm not sure)

I'm not entirely sure, but that's what I remember when I checked it during the summer.
Old 10-27-2008 at 03:48 PM   #9
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

okay, now i'm confused.
In the other post, and on this link
here:

http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf

it says that there aren't any pre-reqs that are required... expect for Ottawa's, Queens and Toronto?
Old 10-27-2008 at 04:11 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

OUAC is just the application program you use, so they're not going to post all the pre-reqs for all of the Ontario schools...that's not their purpose.

pinkshuniza says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 10-27-2008 at 05:26 PM   #11
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

PinkShuniza,

you're right, for Ontario medical schools. If you're thinking about schools outside Ontario, then there are other prerequisites.

pinkshuniza says thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 10-30-2008 at 09:18 AM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

For schools in the US I believe the general pre-reqs are:

1 year of general chem
1 year organic chem
1 year of bio
1 year of physics

Could be pre-reqs
0.5-1 year of math (usually stats and/or calculus)
0.5-1 year social science (psychology)
0.5-1 year english

Recommended could be:
Ethics
Embryology
Biochemistry

Every school has different pre-reqs though, these are just what you would generally see. You should definitively look at the schools you want to attend and their pre-reqs
Old 10-30-2008 at 07:36 PM   #13
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

If you want more information about a specific program from any institution you can either call or request online that an information package be sent to you about the specific program.

Old 10-30-2008 at 09:13 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Unfortunately a lot of post-graduate programs are refusing to send you information by mail...however they usually will direct you to the various pdf files they have posted online.

Old 10-31-2008 at 12:02 AM   #15
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

2 Questions

1) Does anyone know some of the bigger schools that require english, I'd prefer to avoid the course entirely, but I don't want to limit my options in the long run.

2) Does Psychology count as a Social Science or is it considered a pure Science?