MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
research opportunities? musicislife Academics 21 07-03-2011 03:48 PM
Approaching Professors about Research Opportunities + Masters oldschool80 Academics 4 01-29-2011 03:06 PM
employment opportunities Diversity Volunteering Opportunities 13 08-27-2007 09:34 PM

Research Opportunities?

Old 07-29-2011 at 03:26 AM   #1
stja1

Liked: 4 Times

Research Opportunities?
So I was just wondering how difficult is it to get your own research opportunities? For first year students especially in Life Science?
Old 07-29-2011 at 05:55 AM   #2
karna

Liked: 28 Times

In first year its really hard to almost impossible. But if you get lab experience in summer than its possible in 2nd year. It also depends on what programm you are in and when you apply. try applying as early as possible.
Old 07-29-2011 at 08:35 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Yeah, try volunteering in a lab in first year. I don't think any professor would let you take on a research position in first year entirely due to lack of skills and experience. So get to know your profs during the school year and try to get a volunteer position during the summer.
Old 07-29-2011 at 09:35 AM   #4
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Very difficult in first year....I was able to get a research position only through connections I had before school started
Old 07-29-2011 at 01:15 PM   #5
stja1

Liked: 4 Times

So how would I volunteer for a position in a lab?
Old 07-29-2011 at 01:19 PM   #6
karna

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stja1 View Post
There is an opportunity to volunteer in bio prep lab (for bio 1a03 lab). Talk to Alaister Tracy about it after you finish Bio 1A03. That is how I started. Or you can email professors for a volunteer position in their lab. Shouldn't be hard to get that in 2nd year.
Old 07-29-2011 at 01:19 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stja1 View Post
You just email professors that you're interested in working with. Send your resume and cover letter and hope that they're looking for someone and that they schedule an interview!
Old 07-29-2011 at 03:10 PM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

There's a summer program called the USRA, where students get paid to conduct their own research under the supervision of a professor. You have to apply months in advance, and it's very selective. here is more information:

http://experiential-ed.mcmaster.ca/s...esearch-awards

I know this is the Social Sciences website, but I'm pretty sure that people from any faculty can apply. You'll need to contact your faculty office to get all the information. I wasn't able to find a general USRA info website.

There may also be research positions offered through McWork/Work Study.
Old 07-29-2011 at 04:03 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
There's a summer program called the USRA, where students get paid to conduct their own research under the supervision of a professor. You have to apply months in advance, and it's very selective. here is more information:

http://experiential-ed.mcmaster.ca/s...esearch-awards

I know this is the Social Sciences website, but I'm pretty sure that people from any faculty can apply. You'll need to contact your faculty office to get all the information. I wasn't able to find a general USRA info website.

There may also be research positions offered through McWork/Work Study.
I believe this is the general one: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Student...A-BRPC_eng.asp
Old 07-29-2011 at 05:04 PM   #10
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Its not impossible. I managed to get one in first year, and then two in second year.

The key point is to put yourself out there, and don't bother with emails. You need to find which profs are actively doing research and approach them directly, preferably sometime when they're not busy. And don't stalk and ambush them, cuz thats just not cool.
And talk to them, tell them you're interested in their research, and would love to get involved with their research.

Then take whatever scraps they throw at you. Don't push for a paid position; if you do get one, consider yourself very lucky. But sometimes you can start off as a volunteer,and then end up getting paid.

In terms of NSERC: LOL GL GTFO. No, seriously, don't count on it. You're not likely to get one as a first year.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 07-29-2011 at 05:39 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
Its not impossible. I managed to get one in first year, and then two in second year.

The key point is to put yourself out there, and don't bother with emails. You need to find which profs are actively doing research and approach them directly, preferably sometime when they're not busy. And don't stalk and ambush them, cuz thats just not cool.
And talk to them, tell them you're interested in their research, and would love to get involved with their research.

Then take whatever scraps they throw at you. Don't push for a paid position; if you do get one, consider yourself very lucky. But sometimes you can start off as a volunteer,and then end up getting paid.

In terms of NSERC: LOL GL GTFO. No, seriously, don't count on it. You're not likely to get one as a first year.
Were you actually doing research in first year though?
Old 07-29-2011 at 05:56 PM   #12
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Were you actually doing research in first year though?
I'll have to agree, since I was told this when I applied as a second year (apparently it's hard then too). However it doesn't hurt to try, though I would stick to volunteering. NSERC is hard to get as a 1st/2nd year b/c each prof can only nominate/sponsor a certain amount of people (I think 1 or 2) and each prof wants to sponsor the best candidate possible... creating the best win-win scenerio.

Last edited by Ivan Q. : 07-29-2011 at 06:00 PM.