MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vp Positions Open Now!! madhur7 Clubs & Groups 0 08-01-2012 08:55 PM
Commerce T.A positions mcmaster12 Volunteering Opportunities 3 12-20-2010 10:57 PM
Applying for TA Positions... demelo_b Academics 1 08-10-2010 01:57 PM
TA positions faheimm General Discussion 4 06-24-2009 07:01 PM
Residence Positions ferreinm General Discussion 9 06-02-2009 05:25 PM

Research positions

Old 10-12-2013 at 06:07 PM   #1
ForeverLost

Liked: 0 Times

Research positions
I'm taking a lighter course load this semester so with the free time, I was hoping to help some profs with their research (need reference letters). However, is it too late into the semester to ask and start? As well, for those with experience, how long did you have to volunteer for? I'm looking to help till the end of this semester since my next one will be very busy.
Old 10-12-2013 at 07:36 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

If you're just looking to volunteer for six weeks, while in school, there's really not much point - especially if you have no experience. You'd only be able to do it part-time...say 20 hours per week, tops, and you'd have to work around your classes. They'd have to spend a lot of time training you, and then you'd just leave when your classes got busier. If you're going to only volunteer for a short period of time it's better to do it in the summer when you can be there all day without other commitments so that you can get trained faster, and you'd actually be there for longer than six weeks.

The reason I say 6 weeks is because realistically, it'll take you at least one week (probably two) if you manage to get a position at all, to start. That takes you to the end of October. So, you've got November, and then two weeks in December and then that's pretty well it. You might be able to do the third week in December also...but it's really not much.
Old 10-14-2013 at 01:59 AM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I agree with starfish. By the time you find a position, interview with a professor, get all your WHMIS, fire safety, etc done, that's already 2-3 weeks in before even stepping into the lab. Not to mention you actually need to train on lab machines, techniques, etc. It's not possible at all, unless you're planning on continuing into second term, even into the summer maybe? Another good alternative is maybe volunteering somewhere? You'll likely have to continue with it in second term, but it will definitely be less of a time commitment than lab work.

ForeverLost says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 10-14-2013 at 08:54 PM   #4
Mungo

Liked: 19 Times

If you're interested in kin stuff and have taken some of the courses, you could try the kin department. Their equipment/studies usually doesn't involve anything 'labby', unless you're planning on rTMSing someone to death.
Old 10-15-2013 at 09:49 AM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Ooh forgot to add that you can do the Science 3RP3/Life Sci 3RP3 course in a lab and get academic credit for it! So if you want lab experience but as a course instead of just going in as a volunteer, that's also a good option to consider.