MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Courses at other universities eullwm Academics 3 06-09-2010 12:29 PM
The Source at University Plaza SciMania Computers & Tech 12 03-27-2010 02:30 AM
Help Mac Beat All The Other Universities!!! brownchick MacInsiders Announcements 47 03-16-2010 04:12 PM
CS 1.6 vs Source [fixed poll] kevinf Gaming 15 01-11-2010 07:36 PM

Researchers from Mac, Calgary, and 4 U.S. universities source tinnitus

Not as interesting as the blood conversion research, but I still thought this was worth a mention.

HAMILTON - Attention tinnitus sufferers — that annoying ringing in your ears is actually all in your head.

A research team from McMaster University, the University of Calgary and four U.S. universities says it has pinpointed the source of tinnitus.

Surprisingly, it's not the ear.

McMaster professor Larry Roberts and his co-authors report there's evidence the high-pitched ringing or hissing noise tinnitus sufferers hear is generated by neurons firing in the brain, not the ear.

"Tinnitus itself is not actually generated by irritative processes in the ear but it's generated by changes that take place in the brain when neurons in the brain lose some of their input from the ear," Roberts said Thursday in an interview from Ottawa.

[Read more] via Yahoo! Canada via The Canadian Press
Published by
∞/0? Only I know.

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-12-2010 at 02:31 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Not exactly new, but good to see they finally got the article out, gosh darn.

Old 11-12-2010 at 02:34 PM   #3
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times
I just saw it on Yahoo today, and usually Yahoo's over 4 days late with any new news. They're not exactly...good.

Old 11-12-2010 at 02:42 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
I just saw it on Yahoo today, and usually Yahoo's over 4 days late with any new news. They're not exactly...good.
Nah, its pretty recent, I was talking about the science.

I see how they're going to protect people.. damage is largely due to behaviors at people's own discretion, and theres no real incentive for people to change their ways.. you're never aware that you're causing this damage until you're basically older, and can't do anything anyways.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search