MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence Question? Jesssy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-11-2011 05:29 PM
Residence Question Salama Residence & Housing 7 08-23-2010 05:33 PM
Question About Residence.. Rakim Residence & Housing 13 08-12-2010 10:15 PM
residence question. olive First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 08-12-2010 09:42 PM
residence question kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 02-08-2010 04:23 PM

Residence Question?

Old 05-14-2011 at 01:12 PM   #1
Jesssy

Liked: 0 Times

Residence Question?
Just a question in regards to residence at Mac - I got guaranteed residence for having an above 80% average, as opposed to being wait listed. They require you to make a deposit and all that for your room, but here's my question. If my marks fall and my average goes below 80% will they revoke my guaranteed residence? I know they can take back a program offer if you don't maintain a certain average, but does the same apply for the guaranteed residence system? Also, do people with guaranteed residence get room choice priority over those who didn't receive guaranteed?

Any insight on this is welcome thanks!
Old 05-14-2011 at 01:21 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

yes they can revoke. guaranteed res means u will get a room for sure (what type is based on the lottery). the only thing that is absolutely guaranteed is if u get 95+ u can get a single room (or room of choice with roommate)
Old 05-14-2011 at 01:32 PM   #3
Jesssy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
yes they can revoke. guaranteed res means u will get a room for sure (what type is based on the lottery). the only thing that is absolutely guaranteed is if u get 95+ u can get a single room (or room of choice with roommate)
Yes they can revoke what? You just said that they can revoke my guaranteed residence, but that it means I will get a room FOR SURE.. so which one is it? Haha
Old 05-14-2011 at 01:38 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

it will get revoked if ur marks drop below the cutoff. else what i posted above applies
Old 05-14-2011 at 01:45 PM   #5
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

"Guaranteed Residence status" and "Guaranteed Room" are two different things.

You are guaranteed residence means that you will have a room for sept 2011-2012 which can vary (ex. suite style, apartment style, double, single, triple, etc) depending on the lottery. and YES you need to maintain 79% avg or you will be put on the wait-list.

Guaranteed room only applies if you have an avg above 95%, which means you will get your first preference for sure.
Old 05-14-2011 at 02:47 PM   #6
Jesssy

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubz View Post
"Guaranteed Residence status" and "Guaranteed Room" are two different things.

You are guaranteed residence means that you will have a room for sept 2011-2012 which can vary (ex. suite style, apartment style, double, single, triple, etc) depending on the lottery. and YES you need to maintain 79% avg or you will be put on the wait-list.

Guaranteed room only applies if you have an avg above 95%, which means you will get your first preference for sure.

So then why is it that I need to make a deposit already. If I'm not actually guaranteed residence status? What I'm saying is my mark was an 84 at midterms, but if it drops to a 78 will they say "hey actually, we're taking back that "guaranteed residence status" email we sent you and you're no longer guaranteed".
Old 05-14-2011 at 02:50 PM   #7
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesssy View Post
So then why is it that I need to make a deposit already. If I'm not actually guaranteed residence status? What I'm saying is my mark was an 84 at midterms, but if it drops to a 78 will they say "hey actually, we're taking back that "guaranteed residence status" email we sent you and you're no longer guaranteed".
yep, mcmaster has the right to do it. so make sure to keep your marks above 80.

EDIT: and you get that deposit back once you pay your tuition fees and rez fee in september. the deposit is just a way of making sure that you will come to residence for sure, instead of changing your mind and finding a cheaper place off campus. and mac needs a way to deal with the waitlists, so they use marks as a way of removing ppl on the guaranteed list to the wait list, give the remaining spots to ppl who are already on the waitlist previously. 79 is not an unreasonable mark to maintain because most programs require an 80 avg in order to maintain your admission into university.

Last edited by icecubz : 05-14-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-16-2011 at 04:06 PM   #8
Jesssy

And not being rude, but how do you know this? What's your source/experience?
Old 05-18-2011 at 02:55 AM   #9
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
First preference...? Really? :/ 'Cause I'm pretty sure I didn't get it...I just got a single room though I'd applied for one with a bathroom, too. So yeah...don't know whether that's very reliable...
Old 05-18-2011 at 03:52 AM   #10
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
First preference...? Really? :/ 'Cause I'm pretty sure I didn't get it...I just got a single room though I'd applied for one with a bathroom, too. So yeah...don't know whether that's very reliable...
yea, you are right. i remember reading last year, it stated in the rules that with a 95% avg you would end up getting your first preference. they changed the guarantee rule to apply to only single beds now.

http://housing.mcmaster.ca/residence...irst_year.html

Last edited by icecubz : 05-18-2011 at 04:06 AM.

alh24, Faer all say thanks to icecubz for this post.
Old 05-18-2011 at 07:01 AM   #11
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
yea, you are right. i remember reading last year, it stated in the rules that with a 95% avg you would end up getting your first preference. they changed the guarantee rule to apply to only single beds now.

http://housing.mcmaster.ca/residence...irst_year.html
:O They're changing all these guidlines for everything! :O
Old 05-18-2011 at 01:14 PM   #12
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
:O They're changing all these guidlines for everything! :O
Apparently we had a mad increase in the amount of people who applied to McMaster this year and, more importantly, an increase in the amount of people who were accepting offers. A lot of cut-offs increased and some things were taken out entirely.
Old 05-18-2011 at 02:24 PM   #13
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Apparently we had a mad increase in the amount of people who applied to McMaster this year and, more importantly, an increase in the amount of people who were accepting offers. A lot of cut-offs increased and some things were taken out entirely.
Woah, really? That's kinda...surprising. Maybe because I thought Mac was already getting more than enough applications? LOL. But that totally makes sense...
Old 05-18-2011 at 02:38 PM   #14
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Woah, really? That's kinda...surprising. Maybe because I thought Mac was already getting more than enough applications? LOL. But that totally makes sense...
Yeah, there was an article earlier this year in the Daily News where the university president said that he was glad there are so many students choosing McMaster, but that residence is a problem. The residence cut-off increased this year, but not by much. I wonder what it'll be next year.

EDIT: I tried to find the Daily News article to make sure I had that story right, but didn't have any luck.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-18-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2011 at 03:10 PM   #15
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Yeah, there was an article earlier this year in the Daily News where the university president said that he was glad there are so many students choosing McMaster, but that residence is a problem. The residence cut-off increased this year, but not by much. I wonder what it'll be next year.

EDIT: I tried to find the Daily News article to make sure I had that story right, but didn't have any luck.
Hmm, that's tough luck for all the incoming students. I think I saw that article - didn't read it, but the big about 'more incoming students' seems about right.