MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First/Upper year residence MacStudent1 Residence & Housing 2 08-05-2010 12:42 PM
residence first year candacee Introduce Yourself 3 05-28-2010 10:07 AM
Residence Application this year nikki12 Residence & Housing 7 02-15-2010 11:06 AM
Upper year residence smiles Residence & Housing 14 11-22-2009 01:13 PM
residence 2nd year - transfer student! canyoufindme Residence & Housing 15 11-10-2009 06:58 PM

Residence in second year.

Old 12-24-2010 at 08:58 PM   #1
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Residence in second year.
In general, how likely are students in second year and above to be allowed to live in residence again? I get the feeling that everyone decides to move out by the end of first year, and I'm just wondering if it's a personal choice...or McMaster just decides to shoo us out :(. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-24-2010 at 09:02 PM   #2
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

most students I find will find some friends to house with the following year, seeing as its usually a lot cheaper than res. I don't think there is any discouragement for residence, as it only gives the university more money.

And lets be honest, thats all they ever want haha
Old 12-24-2010 at 09:14 PM   #3
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Living off campus really isnt that much cheaper than res.
Old 12-24-2010 at 09:18 PM   #4
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
Living off campus really isnt that much cheaper than res.
I'd have to agree, residence is more of an "I'm lazy, lol" response after first year, unless you really are interested in living in a fluorescent hell-hole populated by idiots and sitting in chairs that by the end of the year result in you walking like you're 80.

ALTHOUGH for the vast majority of moronic students that wait until the last minute and settle for a Harry Potter-esque broom cupboard for a paltry $400 monthly in a house of 10 people they will never speak to - it's really not much better, rather..perhaps it's worse

If you're smart you can get your own apartment with your own bathroom and kitchen (not infested with cockroaches or built on a foundation that by now resembles paper mache) for a price that is just slightly above the average "zomg it's right beside campus but you're living in a box!" lease.

Slightly.

Last edited by Kendoon : 12-24-2010 at 09:22 PM.

lorii, mattatmac, Rakim like this.
Old 12-24-2010 at 09:32 PM   #5
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
I'd have to agree, residence is more of an "I'm lazy, lol" response after first year, unless you really are interested in living in a fluorescent hell-hole populated by idiots and sitting in chairs that by the end of the year result in you walking like you're 80.

ALTHOUGH for the vast majority of moronic students that wait until the last minute and settle for a Harry Potter-esque broom cupboard for a paltry $400 monthly in a house of 10 people they will never speak to - it's really not much better, rather..perhaps it's worse

If you're smart you can get your own apartment with your own bathroom and kitchen (not infested with cockroaches or built on a foundation that by now resembles paper mache) for a price that is just slightly above the average "zomg it's right beside campus but you're living in a box!" lease.

Slightly.
Well, I find that living on res is actually a little more convenient haha. Buuuuuttt, I guess it would be nice if I could find enough people to rent an place with.
Old 12-24-2010 at 09:39 PM   #6
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Well, I find that living on res is actually a little more convenient haha. Buuuuuttt, I guess it would be nice if I could find enough people to rent an place with.
I'm talking about a bachelor apartment. None of that renting a house that should be $200 monthly but is instead $400 garbage. Regardless of the number of tenants.

Old 12-24-2010 at 09:55 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
In general, how likely are students in second year and above to be allowed to live in residence again? I get the feeling that everyone decides to move out by the end of first year, and I'm just wondering if it's a personal choice...or McMaster just decides to shoo us out :(. Thanks everyone.
I absolutely love living on residence (it's my second year). And with applying for residence, as long as you submit the online application and pay your deposit before the deadline passes, you're guaranteed a spot in residence (20% of spaces in residence are saved for upper years). Mind you, that's different than being guaranteed your first choice, you're merely guaranteed a bed. Most people I know did move out, but I honestly don't think it's worth all the hassle and commuting/walking and whatnot, so I just decided to stick with it. It's really personal choice, do you think you can handle cooking/living with housemates, etc, or not. Finding a place off-campus that's decent can also be an issue if you don't start looking early enough. If I were you, I would think about the pros/cons for each, think about who you would want to live with, expenses, etc. before you make a decision!
Old 12-24-2010 at 10:31 PM   #8
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I absolutely love living on residence (it's my second year). And with applying for residence, as long as you submit the online application and pay your deposit before the deadline passes, you're guaranteed a spot in residence (20% of spaces in residence are saved for upper years). Mind you, that's different than being guaranteed your first choice, you're merely guaranteed a bed. Most people I know did move out, but I honestly don't think it's worth all the hassle and commuting/walking and whatnot, so I just decided to stick with it. It's really personal choice, do you think you can handle cooking/living with housemates, etc, or not. Finding a place off-campus that's decent can also be an issue if you don't start looking early enough. If I were you, I would think about the pros/cons for each, think about who you would want to live with, expenses, etc. before you make a decision!
I'm mainly looking for convenience, since you can't really be closer to your school than living on campus. Plus the meal plan is pretty good. I cook occasionally, but when there's a lot of work to do, I find that it really helps that you don't have to go out and buy groceries and cook all the time. I just thought that they kicked you out for sure. I guess I will apply and hope for the best. Thanks a lot!
Old 12-24-2010 at 10:34 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I'm mainly looking for convenience, since you can't really be closer to your school than living on campus. Plus the meal plan is pretty good. I cook occasionally, but when there's a lot of work to do, I find that it really helps that you don't have to go out and buy groceries and cook all the time. I just thought that they kicked you out for sure. I guess I will apply and hope for the best. Thanks a lot!
It's definitely beyond convenience, I woke up several times a few minutes before class, and I still make it on time . Exactly, those are probably the main reasons I stayed in residence too. Just apply on time! I believe the application comes out in February, so watch out for that, pay the $600 deposit by the deadline and you're set! No problem and all the best.
Old 12-24-2010 at 10:49 PM   #10
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

what are the chances of getting a single room for upper years?
is there a certain grade you must have?
Old 12-24-2010 at 10:53 PM   #11
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
no

/12blastoiseyesiknowit doesntstartwithchar

Old 12-24-2010 at 10:55 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
You're more likely to get a single room in upper years. I'm pretty sure it's not by grades though. It depends on whether or not you submit the application (with your top choices) and deposit on time. The only grade requirement is a CA of 5 to be guaranteed a spot in residence (not necessarily your first choice). Here are all the requirements if you want to take a look: http://housing.mcmaster.ca/residence...pper_year.html
Old 12-25-2010 at 12:15 AM   #13
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

res second year is awesome i love u mckay 3rd floor !!!!!!! party on!
Old 12-25-2010 at 07:33 AM   #14
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

res in second yr is just a convenience for me... i tend to sleep in and im pretty sure if i lived any farther away from classes i would be late all the time (i still am late... but not THAT late )
Old 12-25-2010 at 09:18 AM   #15
x.N.x

Liked: 3 Times

If it's only getting up late, then I found living on res isn't that much better. I live so close to campus, I'm actually closer to the building where we have class than some of my classmates living on res. I also get up a few minutes before class and make it on time.
Food wise, defintely the meal plan is convenient.

Bachelor of Technology II || Process Automation