MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First/Upper year residence MacStudent1 Residence & Housing 2 08-05-2010 12:42 PM
Average for upper year students into residence AnnaWM Residence & Housing 10 06-12-2010 01:03 PM
Upper year residence smiles Residence & Housing 14 11-22-2009 01:13 PM
residence 2nd year - transfer student! canyoufindme Residence & Housing 15 11-10-2009 06:58 PM

Residence as an upper year student

Old 01-25-2009 at 09:10 PM   #1
bigmac

Liked: 1 Time

Residence as an upper year student
So I really want to be in residence again next year, but i have a feeling it might be a bit risky since only 20% of resident spots are saved for upper year students. The last thing i would want is to be put on the waiting list and end up not even getting a spot...i dont have a backup plan and i really dont want to live off campus. Does anyone know any upper year students who applied to res and ended up not getting a spot??

also, on the res admissions, it says the following..
- Students must maintain a 5.0 sessional average* to keep their spot on the guaranteed list.
- Students achieving Dean's Honours* (9.5 GPA) will be offered a residence space provided that they have met all application and deposit deadlines.
*Only grades received by the registrar's office prior to May 28th are considered for any residence guarantee. New grades that are assigned after May 28th cannot be considered for any type of residence guarantee.

So do i need a 5.0 or a 9.5 average to be guaranteed a spot in res?
Thanks in advance

Old 01-25-2009 at 09:12 PM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

9.5 guarantees a spot
5.0 keeps you on the guaranteed list, otherwise you're put on the waiting list if there aren't enough spots.

bigmac says thanks to FireDragoonX for this post.
Old 01-26-2009 at 07:04 AM   #3
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

the irc guarantees you a spot in residence

bigmac says thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 01-26-2009 at 01:24 PM   #4
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Just trying to say it another way...

I think upper years are admitted into residence first by lottery. If you are picked, you need to maintain a 5.0 to keep your spot on the list. If you get below then your spot will be given to someone on the waiting list.

HOWEVER, if you have a GPA of 9.5, you are apparently guaranteed a spot regardless. I guess they never have a problem fitting people with an average of 9.5+ into enough res spaces in addition to those who are lottery drawn with an average between 5.0-9.5.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

bigmac says thanks to nh999 for this post.
Old 01-26-2009 at 03:46 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Mmm... and if that doesn't work out, living off campus really isn't that bad, it's cheaper too (depending on your lifestyle of course). =D

bigmac says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 01-26-2009 at 04:02 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Yeah getting into residence as an upper year is based on a lottery system. You find out early though if you've guaranteed or not so if you don't get a spot and get put on the waiting list you could always look for off-campus housing at that point and not wait it out.

bigmac says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 01-26-2009
Abid.Hasan
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-29-2009 at 10:35 PM   #7
ZeldaBird

Liked: 0 Times

I lived in rez as an IRC, CA and ordinary joe. I didn't have a problem getting into rez at all and neither did my friends.

The 9.5 is the safety zone.

You wouldn't BELIEVE the number of CAs that get cut over the 5.0 average thing. I would assume the rez spots are about the same. Yes, its a lottery, but you have a better chance of eventually winning the lottery if your marks are high.

Arkell has some wonderful places to live and depending on the meal plan, works out to be about 1000-2000 less than rez. I can only imagine what suite style costs now - when I left, it was barely touching 5000.

Formerly Mac Active
Teacher, Queretaro Mexico

bigmac says thanks to ZeldaBird for this post.