MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
course conflicts drpatel General Discussion 4 07-28-2012 10:19 AM
Conflicts??? GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-09-2010 09:32 PM
Chem 1AA3 Conflicts WatchesUPee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-27-2009 05:26 PM

Resolving Chem Lab Conflicts

Old 08-25-2012 at 11:23 AM   #1
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Resolving Chem Lab Conflicts
Hey guys, I have a question about chem lab conflicts.

My schedule right now, has only two possible labs to make it conflict free, Tuesdays 1130-220, and Fridays 230-520.

But, if I have a job in Toronto on Fri, Sat, and Sun, is that an acceptable excuse to not be placed into the Friday lab? (For exams, I'll be able to take a break)

And if there are two labs in the same timeslot, like chem lab 43 and 53, and I'm given 53, can I ask for 43 instead?

I know Jeff Landry is the lab coordinator and he can be somewhat inflexible to changing labs unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited by naval23 : 08-25-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-25-2012 at 09:23 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
Hey guys, I have a question about chem lab conflicts.

My schedule right now, has only two possible labs to make it conflict free, Tuesdays 1130-220, and Fridays 230-520.

But, if I have a job in Toronto on Fri, Sat, and Sun, is that an acceptable excuse to not be placed into the Friday lab? (For exams, I'll be able to take a break)

And if there are two labs in the same timeslot, like chem lab 43 and 53, and I'm given 53, can I ask for 43 instead?

I know Jeff Landry is the lab coordinator and he can be somewhat inflexible to changing labs unless absolutely necessary.
I don't think having a job in Toronto is an acceptable excuse. You should expect to have academic commitments on Monday through Saturday (ie, every day except for Sunday). Note that many midterms in first year science are on Friday evenings, and some can even be on Saturdays. They also try to space them out...when I was in first year I had a midterm every Friday at 7pm for about six weeks straight, because some classes had multiple midterms.

If there are two labs in the same timeslot and you're given one, chances are the others are full. You can ask if there's space, but if there isn't, then there isn't. There's no legitimate reason for wanting one section over another if they're at the same time (wanting to be in the same section as your friend is not a legit reason ).

Landry only makes absolutely necessary section changes, because with literally thousands of kids taking first year chem, it would be impossible (given the space limitations of each section) to change every student into the section that they want. The best they can do is guarantee that it will not conflict with other academic requirements.

Last edited by starfish : 08-25-2012 at 09:29 PM.