MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Conflicts Angoose Academics 5 06-09-2012 05:14 PM
Course Conflicts fffw Academics 6 08-08-2011 05:28 PM
Conflicts??? GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-09-2010 09:32 PM
Conflicts hellohello Academics 4 06-15-2010 12:26 AM
conflicts Strongwiller Academics 2 09-13-2009 08:08 PM

course conflicts

Old 07-27-2012 at 10:01 PM   #1
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

course conflicts
So I'm stuck between BIO 2d03 and enviro 2EI3, they're both at the exam same time.
anyone taken either of these courses? I looked through the course review on MI but I wanted a more recent view
they're similar courses but which has the easier courseload/easier profs?
Old 07-27-2012 at 10:24 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

they arent similar courses...one has to do with plants and involves a lot of lab stuff which appears like crazy on tests and isn't the other one on policy? i wouldnt say they are anywhere near the same. and from what i hear, enviro would be the easier one. it doesnt even have a lab/tutorial section so you would also have less class too. i wanted to take both this year too but cant due to the scheduling lol.
Old 07-27-2012 at 10:28 PM   #3
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

One's on environmental issues and one's on plant diversity. hmm. so the easier choice would be enviro?
Old 07-27-2012 at 10:35 PM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

from what i have heard and read, yes. they both seem like enjoyable courses though
Old 07-28-2012 at 10:19 AM   #5
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

I recently took Biology 2D03 in the fall of 2011 with Dr. Cameron. First off, I have to say that the course starts off a little dry, since you learn about the evolution of plants and their structural features (basically a timeline of important events and evidence supporting the evolutionary claims). However, as the course dragged on, you dive into topics surrounding the genomics of plants, transgenic mechanisms, and molecular pathways of adaptation and survival, and I found myself paying more attention in class and finding the material more interesting. My favorite part of the course was learning about plant-pathogen interactions and responses, and how to use this information to create plants that are more durable to pests and pathogenic infections.

The labs were kind of annoying since they were pretty much every week, but you don't have to worry too much about them as they are not actual labs in the sense of doing experiments and writing a report of your findings. Rather, the labs are designed as sort of a "observe and learn" period, where different stations have been set up with micro graphic images, diagrams, or live cut sections of plants, and your job is to take notes and answer the questions found on the lab manual which you are to download and print off every week. Most of the time, the labs didn't last the full 3 hours, since we were allowed to bring digital cameras and everyone basically just takes pictures of the important stations and leaves (you can fill out the lab manual at home if you've taken these pictures). However, it might be more beneficial to actually take notes and ask questions to your TA during the lab sections, as there will be a lab test worth 30% of your mark. The lab test was fairly easy if you knew everything from your lab notes. Also, the TA checks for completion of the work every week, so this is a free 5%.

There were no midterms for this course, but 2 quizzes (1 online) and 1 during your lab slot. I found the online quiz much more difficult than the quiz in lab, since you were expected to know very small details from your labs, such as the names of certain plant embryo structures and developmental stages. Also, you were given a time limit (30 minutes I believe), and many complained that this was not enough time.

The exam itself was very easy (it is the only exam in my university career thus far to have achieved a 100%), as the professor gave us the long answer question pre-hand before the exam. Also, the practice exam she posted was very similar to the actual exam.

Overall, if you want to learn more about plants, their structure, defense mechanisms, adaptation strategies and genes, take this course!

drpatel, Silver all say thanks to exuberant888 for this post.

drpatel likes this.