MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Ratification Vote Result - Strike Over PTGregD MacInsiders Announcements 14 11-10-2009 01:14 AM
CUPE expects a "no" vote on offer Kathy2 General Discussion 35 11-09-2009 11:21 PM
CUPE Members to vote on offer previously reject by the bargaining team DannyV General Discussion 13 11-05-2009 07:05 AM
Monday Strike Update Chad MacInsiders Announcements 12 11-02-2009 08:44 AM
Vote update! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-29-2007 12:14 AM

Results of the Final Offer Vote: Strike Update

Results of the Final Offer Vote: Strike Update

From Daily News:

"A message from the University Bargaining Team

We would like to thank all members of CAW Local 555, unit 1 for participating in the Final Offer Vote held this week. The results of the Final Offer Vote were:

1743 - Number of persons who cast ballots
1071 - Number of ballots marked for Rejection of the Final Offer (61.8%)
662 - Number of ballots marked for Acceptance of the Final Offer (38.2%)
4 - Number of spoiled ballots
6 - Number of ballots segregated and not counted

The University tabled its best offer on August 20 and requested the Final Offer Vote to break the impasse at the bargaining table. We now expect the union to make new proposals and we will continue to listen closely."

61.8% of the votes rejected the university's final offer. We're all holding baited breaths now to see if the CAW will go on a full out strike. Hopefully they can agree on something with the university, this time.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-03-2009 at 11:24 PM   #2
Ethansaucier

Liked: 0 Times
well that f***ing sucks

Old 09-03-2009 at 11:27 PM   #3
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times
And here I know plenty of people who are jobless in this recession who would give so much just to have a job to feed their families. Ridiculous...

aziz917, jc24, Maegs, Pay919, PilotMal like this.

Old 09-04-2009 at 01:24 AM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
They should really get to an agreement and fast, this is just ridiculously horrible timing =/

Old 09-04-2009 at 04:41 AM   #5
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times
just a noobish question here: The strike's only gonna be on the 4th or 4th onwards?

Old 09-04-2009 at 06:31 AM   #6
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times
If the strike happens it'll be from the 4th onwards

Old 09-04-2009 at 06:39 AM   #7
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times
This is fkn bs. Dam money greedy people...

Old 09-04-2009 at 06:40 AM   #8
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times
There is no strike as of yet and Im writing this on the 4th.

The union doesn't have to go on strike and apparently doesn't want too. They just have the ability too.

Old 09-04-2009 at 07:47 AM   #9
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times
^^ and they've been asserting that they have the ability a lot lately

Old 09-04-2009 at 07:51 AM   #10
dabulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
^^ and they've been asserting that they have the ability a lot lately

You probably would too if the University was threatening your pension citing hard times when it was really just years of financial mismanagement on their part.

Old 09-04-2009 at 08:07 AM   #11
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
This is fkn bs. Dam money greedy people...
Just to make things clear, the issue isn't about their pay. The University wishes to place new hires on a group RRSP plan instead of the current pension plan.

The current workers are worried this might make their pensions unstable, because no new workers will be contributing to it. As far as I can understand, that means the fund probably won't last long enough to provide all of the current workers pensions, and the University would have to step in to make up the difference. They're just concerned that the University might be less than happy to have to do that, and they might not get the pension that they've earned.

So no, they're not "money greedy". But the idea of a strike is still annoying.

J-Met says thanks to MarkA for this post.

Old 09-04-2009 at 08:40 AM   #12
davey
Elite Member

This sucks, but I'm optimistic that they'll resolve it soon. 1/3 of them accepted the offer afterall.

Old 09-04-2009 at 08:51 AM   #13
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Classes will still be continued regardless of a strike. There may be delays at the registrar and places where admin staff would normally be working, though.

I was talking to my coworker who went to York, and she said that people weren't blocked from walking onto campus. Driving was another story. If you're commuting, your best bet is to get off a stop early and walk onto campus. If you normally drive, I would park at a friend's house and walk to class.

Old 09-04-2009 at 09:40 AM   #14
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times
If you can get your OSAP work done at Mac now, I would suggest doing so ASAP.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Afzal likes this.

Old 09-04-2009 at 09:50 AM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Also, the registrar was pretty empty at this time... I was the 2nd in line. I was quite surprised.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search