MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Late Residence Acceptance x0xalishax0x First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-24-2010 03:02 PM
Is it too late for acceptance? amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-27-2010 12:32 AM
Will my offer be revoked if i have two courses this semistar? MariaQ Academics 19 05-16-2010 03:32 PM
acceptance rates??? macculkin Academics 2 01-15-2010 12:27 AM
Acceptance conformation email... xxsumz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-10-2009 11:51 AM

revoked acceptance

Old 06-30-2010 at 09:51 PM   #16
dlee

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black.Mamba View Post
Hey, I have a sister who got accepted into the medical radiation program at Mac for the fall.
However, she found out today that she was just slightly under the required 80 percent average needed to maintain the acceptance in the program.
Is her acceptance going to be revoked? Or does she have other options like upgrading courses?
Not to shatter your sister's hope or anything, I thought Medical Radiation Sciences cut-off average was 85% for this year? That was what I was told in April-May-ish...I wonder how it dropped to 80%.
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:53 PM   #17
Linh

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee View Post
Not to shatter your sister's hope or anything, I thought Medical Radiation Sciences cut-off average was 85% for this year? That was what I was told in April-May-ish...I wonder how it dropped to 80%.
That was the cut off, but the condition to keep the acceptance is an 80% average
Old 06-30-2010 at 10:16 PM   #18
dlee

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Oh wow, the condition is 5% below the cut-off eh. That is a big difference.
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:37 PM   #19
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

the whole... I didn't do the work to get a high enough grade but can you give me the grade anyways mentality is gonna be the downfall of canada. (comment not directed at OP)
Old 06-30-2010 at 11:49 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
the whole... I didn't do the work to get a high enough grade but can you give me the grade anyways mentality is gonna be the downfall of canada. (comment not directed at OP)
That's how Canada's education system is actually like though, I'm sure you've heard of the "Success for all" program?
Old 07-01-2010 at 08:43 AM   #21
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
That isn't always the case. If the student had a 60% in a certain class at midterm and legitimately worked their way up to a 76%, as a teacher I would would be more than willing to give them a 77 if they needed it to get into University.

Old 07-01-2010 at 09:40 AM   #22
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth526 View Post
That isn't always the case. If the student had a 60% in a certain class at midterm and legitimately worked their way up to a 76%, as a teacher I would would be more than willing to give them a 77 if they needed it to get into University.
you must be trolling? yah have a meritocracy, and if someone turns out not to be good enough, we'll fake it and make them good enough anyways.
Old 07-01-2010 at 09:44 AM   #23
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I guess I can see it from both sides. On the one hand, the person had the same chance as anyone else to get the marks needed, and they didn't do it. Two people at different high schools could be in similar positions, but one student has the benefit of a teacher upping their grade while the other student doesn't, and it's entirely unfair. On the other hand, it really sucks if it was something stupid or whatever, because it could have been something small that will end up having a huge impact on your life. If there were actually extenuating circumstances, I think you would be able to state your case to admissions so your offer isn't revoked? I'm not sure about that though, but it would make sense. Also, if there were really extenuating circumstances, it might be easier for you to convince a teacher to bump your grade.
Old 07-01-2010 at 10:28 AM   #24
kenneth526
Elite Member

Quote:
you must be trolling? yah have a meritocracy, and if someone turns out not to be good enough, we'll fake it and make them good enough anyways.
A student who shows significant improvement over the year is entitled to a 1% grade increase vs a student who coasts and just 'asks' for a mark increase. I'm arguing that we don't always know the specific case and you just can't generalize a mark increase due to the latter.

Old 07-01-2010 at 12:22 PM   #25
kristopherk

Liked: 16 Times

A teacher at my high school would routinely bump up marks for students, sometimes even as much as 10 - 15%. It became an issue with the administration / school board and said teacher is no longer teaching any U courses or Science courses.

I never personally had marks modified and it bothered me a little when others did. I don't think it's fair that some students get an extra advantage based on which high school they attended or which teacher they had.
Old 07-01-2010 at 12:35 PM   #26
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
A student who shows significant improvement over the year is entitled to a 1% grade increase vs a student who coasts and just 'asks' for a mark increase. I'm arguing that we don't always know the specific case and you just can't generalize a mark increase due to the latter.
Shouldn't a student be entitled to the mark they earned and nothing more?
Old 07-01-2010 at 12:42 PM   #27
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
I hope you're just trolling.

A girl in my high school probably studied 8 hours a night and tried harder than all my friends combined to get good grades and despite that, she was never more than 60% student in U courses. How ludicrous... getting extra marks just because you put in more effort.

Effort doesn't mean shit, it's results that matter.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 07-01-2010 at 01:14 PM   #28
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Lol, at my middle school, we'd have awards ceremonies or whatever around each set of report cards (so three times a year). And they'd always give that 'most improved one' to that delinquent kid in our class who was always getting in trouble, never did his work, etc. To the point where the people who actually did well received barely any recognition, and people like this got awards all the time. What a joke.
Old 07-02-2010 at 08:52 AM   #29
kenneth526
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I hope you're just trolling

A girl in my high school probably studied 8 hours a night and tried harder than all my friends combined to get good grades and despite that, she was never more than 60% student in U courses. How ludicrous... getting extra marks just because you put in more effort.

Effort doesn't mean shit, it's results that matter.
I think we're actually somewhat agreeing here. Despite her best efforts, if she couldn't increase her grades in U level courses then University probably isn't for her. I'm arguing that a student who shows significant improvement throughout the year can receive a 1% (notice how I didn't say any obnoxiously large increase like 10-15) without any calls for outrageous rehabilitation of the school system because the "delinquents" are rewarded, leading to the "downfall of Canada" (as others have so eloquently put it).

I'm guessing some people get outraged if their 79 is bumped to an 80 ;-)

Old 07-02-2010 at 09:00 AM   #30
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Glad we agree on one part of it. I just don't see how anyone can be declared as more deserving of a mark upgrade based on effort/improvement than someone who's probably just naturally good at high school (I say this, because in retrospect, high school was a joke).

You might see it as rewarding those who try super hard, but I see it as punishing those who don't need to try as hard.

At the end of the day, I just don't believe in bumping up someone's mark. You got what you earned.

While I agree that the "downfall of Canada" is a tad melodramatic, if someone couldn't get into university... then don't put them into university. 1% or not.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 07-02-2010 at 09:03 AM.