MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-11-2009 at 01:12 AM   #391
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
It's the german.
WOW AWESOME! YOU GOT IT! GOOD JOB! You're among the 2% that can actually solve this riddle!

Care to explain how you got the answer?

Last edited by Joseph : 07-11-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-11-2009 at 01:17 AM   #392
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
YOU GOT IT! GOOD JOB! Care to explain how you got the answer?
Sure.

I do problems similar to this on a regular basis while studying for my LSAT Logic Games section, so I approached it the same way. I created a matrix like so:

House 1 2 3 4 5
Color
Drink
Cigar
Pet
Nationality

I started using the clues to plug information in. Basically, there will always be one clue that will let you keep going. I think I got all the drinks solved first, then colors. Once you solve nationalities the rest falls into place, and you're left with the German not having a pet.

As I got clues, I would cross them out so I wouldn't get confused re-reading them.

The matrix doesn't really show up well in this post. It gets rid of my formatting, but I think you get the idea.

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 07-11-2009 at 01:18 AM   #393
smashpro1123

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashpro1123 View Post
This one is kinda tricky (really think about it and don't be tempted to google.)

There once was an evil wizard. He took 3 woman from their homes and turned them into rose bushes that looked exactly alike. He put them in his garden. One of the woman had a husband and children and begged the wizard to let her see them. He agreed. At night, he brought the woman to her house. In the morning he came and took her home. One day the husband decided to go rescue her. So he snuck into the wizard's garden. He looked and looked at the 3 identical rose bushes trying to figure out which could be his wife. Suddenly, he knew the answer and he took his wife home. How did he know which rose bush was his wife?

Kinda Late but the answer to this one would be: the husband new because the rose (which is the wife) had no DEW since it was replanted just in the morning by the wizard.

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 07-11-2009 at 01:21 AM   #394
Joseph

Quote:
Sure.

I do problems similar to this on a regular basis while studying for my LSAT Logic Games section, so I approached it the same way. I created a matrix like so:

House 1 2 3 4 5
Color
Drink
Cigar
Pet
Nationality

I started using the clues to plug information in. Basically, there will always be one clue that will let you keep going. I think I got all the drinks solved first, then colors. Once you solve nationalities the rest falls into place, and you're left with the German not having a pet.

As I got clues, I would cross them out so I wouldn't get confused re-reading them.

The matrix doesn't really show up well in this post. It gets rid of my formatting, but I think you get the idea.
Awesome!

Old 07-11-2009 at 01:22 AM   #395
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Sure.

House 1 2 3 4 5
Color
Drink
Cigar
Pet
Nationality

Greg, you should go for an Oxford Seminar before you sit for the test. They're supposedly brilliant.
And I hear Dec. tests > Sept. tests in terms of easiness

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-11-2009 at 01:22 AM   #396
PTGregD
Elite Member

That was really a really fun one though. Post another one
Old 07-11-2009 at 01:29 AM   #397
Joseph

A poor farmer went to the market to sell some peas and lentils. However, as he had only one sack and didn't want to mix peas and lentils, he poured in the peas first, tied the sack in the middle, and then filled the top portion of the sack with the lentils. At the market a rich innkeeper happened by with his own sack. He wanted to buy the peas, but he did not want the lentils.
Pouring the seed anywhere else but the sacks is considered soiling. Trading sacks is not allowed. The farmer can’t cut a hole in his sack.
How would you transfer the peas to the innkeeper’s sack, which he wants to keep, without soiling the produce?

smashpro1123 likes this.
Old 07-11-2009 at 01:41 AM   #398
Joseph

I got another one similar to the Einstein Riddle. I'll post it right after the above riddle is solved.

Old 07-11-2009 at 01:42 AM   #399
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
A poor farmer went to the market to sell some peas and lentils. However, as he had only one sack and didn't want to mix peas and lentils, he poured in the peas first, tied the sack in the middle, and then filled the top portion of the sack with the lentils. At the market a rich innkeeper happened by with his own sack. He wanted to buy the peas, but he did not want the lentils.
Pouring the seed anywhere else but the sacks is considered soiling. Trading sacks is not allowed. The farmer can’t cut a hole in his sack.
How would you transfer the peas to the innkeeper’s sack, which he wants to keep, without soiling the produce?
I'm not sure if this is the solution you're looking for/if this even works, but here goes: (Forgive me, it's 2:40 AM )

Step 1: Poor lentils into innkeeper's sack.
Step 2: Tie innkeeper's sack like you tied yours.
Step 3: Turn the innkeeper's sack inside out (inverting it) and now poor the peas into it.
Step 4: Now with your sack empty, hold it under the innkeepers sack and untie it so the lentils pour back into your sack.

I'm pretty sure that works out; I really would have like to have a sac lying around to test my inversion theory
Old 07-11-2009 at 01:43 AM   #400
smashpro1123

this one is a bit hard, the farmer can pour the lentils to the innkeeper's sack and bind it. the sack can be turned upside down, pour in the peas and unbind the lentils. i can't picture how he'll unbind it though lol.

EDIT: too slow :(, agree with testing, but dun have a sack lying around here.
Old 07-11-2009 at 01:43 AM   #401
Joseph

Yup, correct!

Old 07-11-2009 at 01:45 AM   #402
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Yup, correct!
Heh, if that wasn't correct, I was going to say he should find someone to buy his lentils first and than go back and sell the peas lol

But that was probably outside the scope of the riddle.

I'm excited about the next riddle you have.
Old 07-11-2009 at 01:46 AM   #403
Joseph

Alright - This is going be the last one I post before I head to bed...
Ships

There are 5 ships in a port.
  1. The Greek ship leaves at six and carries coffee.
  2. The ship in the middle has a black chimney.
  3. The English ship leaves at nine.
  4. The French ship with a blue chimney is to the left of a ship that carries coffee.
  5. To the right of the ship carrying cocoa is a ship going to Marseille.
  6. The Brazilian ship is heading for Manila.
  7. Next to the ship carrying rice is a ship with a green chimney.
  8. A ship going to Genoa leaves at five.
  9. The Spanish ship leaves at seven and is to the right of the ship going to Marseille.
  10. The ship with a red chimney goes to Hamburg.
  11. Next to the ship leaving at seven is a ship with a white chimney.
  12. The ship on the border carries corn.
  13. The ship with a black chimney leaves at eight.
  14. The ship carrying corn is anchored next to the ship carrying rice.
  15. The ship to Hamburg leaves at six.
Which ship goes to Port Said? Which ship carries tea?

Old 07-11-2009 at 01:49 AM   #404
smashpro1123

well i guess this riddle can't compete to the level of that riddle but stiill here it is.

From the beginning of eternity to the end of time and space i am in every place.What am I? (a cupcake riddle)

sleeping time awaits...
Old 07-11-2009 at 01:50 AM   #405
Joseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashpro1123 View Post
well i guess this riddle can't compete to the level of that riddle but stiill here it is.

From the beginning of eternity to the end of time and space i am in every place.What am I? (a cupcake riddle)

sleeping time awaits...
The letter E.