MacInsiders Logo

RIP OSAMA bin laden

Old 05-04-2011 at 11:09 PM   #226
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
I kind of want to flag this for fun... But I feel bad for you that it keeps happening to you. You must feel like Rakim right now, getting flagged all over the place.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-04-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2011 at 11:10 PM   #227
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I don't know, I'm not religious. It does seem like the religious believe that God's 'doings' are tangible, though. As an analogue, electric fields are not 'tangible' in the sense that you're describing them. However, their effects most definitely are, and thus we analyse them 'physically', to use icecream's terms.
Electric fields are used to understand a phenomenon of this universe. In other words, without any universe there is no electric fields concept.

But without universe, there is still God. That's a core monotheistic belief that God was before the Universe or Multi-verses. God is not physical.
Old 05-04-2011 at 11:10 PM  
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 05-04-2011 at 11:10 PM   #228
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
I don't know, I'm not religious. It does seem like the religious believe that God's 'doings' are tangible, though. As an analogue, electric fields are not 'tangible' in the sense that you're describing them. However, their effects most definitely are, and thus we analyse them 'physically', to use icecream's terms.
I see your point, what one considers physical would have to be defined. Anywho, my main concern is the effect on Pakistan. The US is essentially rubbing it in Pakistans face and are questioning the skills of the ISI. The US is making a crucial mistake and if its ties with Pakistan crumble it, the rising instability and the fact that Pakistan has a decent military is a reason of concern for me.
Old 05-04-2011 at 11:12 PM   #229
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
Everything verifiable which is made of atoms is sensible.
This is quite true, but your argument is a variant of the 'fallacy of affirming the consequent'. Sensibility is a necessary condition for verifiability, and you're inferring verifiability from sensibility.

Quote:
If you went to a Planet, which has habitants who can't calculate but they speak the same language, telling them 5+5=10 won't make them understand.

But If you show them by arranging sticks than they will get the concept. This concept can be used for many things and they could develop finances or engineering feats.
A formal representation of a concept has nothing intrinsically to do with the concept itself. If they can 'get the concept' by arranging sticks, then they can calculate. Calculation is symbolic manipulation generally, you're just switching from our present symbolic paradigm to sticks.

Quote:
But without universe, there is still God. That's a core monotheistic belief that God was before the Universe or Multi-verses.
Irrelevant. All you're saying is that God would transcend physicality.

Quote:
God is not physical.
This is inconsistent with your previous assertion. If God transcends physicality, then clearly God is physical and more.

Last edited by Mahratta : 05-04-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2011 at 11:12 PM   #230
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Electric fields are used to understand a phenomenon of this universe. In other words, without any universe there is no electric fields concept.

But without universe, there is still God. That's a core monotheistic belief that God was before the Universe or Multi-verses. God is not physical.
Can you prove this? If the answer is no then I don't believe you.

Last edited by Eternal Fire : 05-04-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 05-04-2011 at 11:12 PM  
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
What'd I do :''(
I swear I did not flag that - I edited my post to reflect feeling bad for you. Someone's mad at ya', I guess.
Old 05-04-2011 at 11:13 PM   #231
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
I see your point, what one considers physical would have to be defined. Anywho, my main concern is the effect on Pakistan. The US is essentially rubbing it in Pakistans face and are questioning the skills of the ISI. The US is making a crucial mistake and if its ties with Pakistan crumble it, the rising instability and the fact that Pakistan has a decent military is a reason of concern for me.
It's not just that but Pakistan was getting pissed (before Laden's death) that the US were using drones which killed many innocent folks and created more terrorists in the process.
Old 05-04-2011 at 11:15 PM   #232
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
Can you prove this? If the answer is no then I don't believe you.
God isn't physical. I can't show you a physical proof of God. God made the atoms, so you cannot sense him. Why not ? Because before atoms there was God. So God is not made of atoms.

What I was asking about is PHYSICAL proof about a physical thing (bin laden's death, lifeless corpse)

This is going off topic anyway.
Old 05-04-2011 at 11:16 PM   #233
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
God isn't physical. I can't show you a physical proof of God. God made the atoms, so you cannot sense him. Why not ? Because before atoms there was God. So God is not made of atoms.

What I was asking about is PHYSICAL proof about a physical thing (bin laden's death, lifeless corpse)

This is going off topic anyway.
That's not what I asked you to prove.
Old 05-04-2011 at 11:19 PM   #234
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
This is quite true, but your argument is a variant of the 'fallacy of affirming the consequent'. Sensibility is a necessary condition for verifiability, and you're inferring verifiability from sensibility.

A formal representation of a concept has nothing intrinsically to do with the concept itself. If they can 'get the concept' by arranging sticks, then they can calculate. Calculation is symbolic manipulation generally, you're just switching from our present symbolic paradigm to sticks.

Fallacy of affirming the consequent ? So what, it's because we affirm the consequent that technology exists.

Exactly, to get the concept you need to have some sort of physical experience.

How do some scientists understand the Big Bang by using a physical experience ? They think of a raisin bread in a microwave.

How do scientists understand quantum physics ? They don't understand because it is outside of human intuition. So they affirm it by experiments.
Old 05-04-2011 at 11:20 PM   #235
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
That's not what I asked you to prove.
What that without Universe there is still God ?

Well that's simple. If we agree that God created the Universe, than God was before the Universe. And so the Universe disappearing won't affect God.
Old 05-04-2011 at 11:21 PM   #236
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Fallacy of affirming the consequent ? So what, it's because we affirm the consequent that technology exists.
What nonsense. Please, read this before you comment on the topic further:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy...the_consequent

Quote:
Exactly, to get the concept you need to have some sort of physical experience.

How do some scientists understand the Big Bang by using a physical experience ? They think of a raisin bread in a microwave.

How do scientists understand quantum physics ? They don't understand because it is outside of human intuition. So they affirm it by experiments.
I don't know whether you're deliberately changing the topic, but this is not a response to main point of my post.

Quote:
What that without Universe there is still God ?

Well that's simple. If we agree that God created the Universe, than God was before the Universe. And so the Universe disappearing won't affect God.
Again, which means that God transcends the Universe. That in turn means that while we can't directly describe God, we can describe God through physical phenomena. Precisely analogous to the concept of an electric field.

Last edited by Mahratta : 05-04-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 05-04-2011 at 11:21 PM   #237
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24
I swear I did not flag that - I edited my post to reflect feeling bad for you. Someone's mad at ya', I guess.
I'm so confused right now

J. Dorey, Mahratta like this.
Old 05-04-2011 at 11:23 PM   #238
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
What nonsense. Please, read this before you comment on the topic further:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy...the_consequent

I don't know whether you're deliberately changing the topic, but this is not a response to main point of my post.
"Everything verifiable which is made of atoms is sensible."

Let's switch it around...

Everything which is sensible is made out of atoms and verifiable.

What's wrong ? You are calling a fallacy when there isn't.