MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TELUS OR ROGERS for Iphone 4? maryam17 Computers & Tech 29 07-31-2010 11:28 PM
RIP Glen Bell andrew22 General Discussion 9 01-19-2010 09:36 PM
Bell-Curve salimak Academics 33 12-22-2009 11:46 AM
Rogers LCA change --> oakville numbers Duarch Computers & Tech 34 12-15-2009 02:17 PM
Are you a Rogers Customer? kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 8 11-29-2008 03:04 PM

Rogers or Bell?

Old 07-31-2010 at 05:00 PM   #31
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLia View Post
I was with Telus for 3 years and I experienced every problem imaginable. I could write a book on the horrors of their networks. It's crazy how outdated their technology is.
Outdated? To my understanding, TELUS is the only provider in Canada to provide 3G+ access... so their ahead of the game, if anything.
Old 07-31-2010 at 08:09 PM   #32
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay17 View Post
Id go for Rogers or Koodo. I was on Bell for a couple years and hated it. Im now on Koodo and only pay $25 for unlimited texting, 100 anytime minutes, free evenings and weekends. On Bell, I couldnt find a plan like that and was constantly going over my minutes and stuff.
I am on the exact same plan for $25 but with Fido. Fido is a little better though because they do billing by the second and not by the minute.
Old 07-31-2010 at 10:03 PM   #33
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

STOP THE PRESS

Don't go with Bell. Sorry to anyone here who has a Bell and is happy with it, but Bell is awful for customer service and pulls charges out of your ass. Forget Bell. Please for the love of god do not go with bell.

I recommend Telus. I have a blackberry with them and I am very happy with it. Both Telus and Rogers have good plans, check them both out; from a service perspective, I find Telus has better service from my experiences with both companies.
Old 08-01-2010 at 01:00 PM   #34
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Friends don't let friends get Bell.

Moo!io likes this.
Old 08-01-2010 at 01:16 PM   #35
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
Friends don't let friends get Bell.
Agreed.

Need home phone? Get TekSavvv.
Need internet? Get Teksavvy.
Need mobile? Get anything but BHELL
Old 08-01-2010 at 04:57 PM   #36
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Bell is for Western and Queen's.
Old 08-01-2010 at 05:11 PM   #37
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I used to have terrible reception from Bell, but then switched phones and suddenly get reception everywhere, so I can't complain about that. Having said that, they do pull extra charges from everywhere. My sister got charged for a half-hour call to Beijing, while she was in Washington DC attempting to call home...took several hours/phone calls to Bell to sort it out. And, despite internet being disabled on my phone, they keep charging me for data usage, even when my phone has been off and there's no possible way I could have used it. *sigh*
Old 08-01-2010 at 05:31 PM   #38
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline54 View Post
I am on the exact same plan for $25 but with Fido. Fido is a little better though because they do billing by the second and not by the minute.
Yeah... Koodo is also pps.

In other news. I have the Curve with Koodo. Telus network, decent internet speeds.
I can download a file at around 60 - 70 kbps which makes me happy. I find that I can get data faster over the network then I can via Wi-Fi. (I managed to use 200mb of the 500mb in 2 days thanks to streaming music at work)
I'm waiting to see what happens when I go over my cap. I've had the phone since Koodo came out with it.
Koodo is a very straightforward company, what you see is what you get. That's what I like about them.

That being said (such a common term these days) if you plan on being with a company for long term, go with either Rogers or Telus and complain a lot. That way you can get them to knock down your bill to an impossibly low amount.

WIND is good news for people who don't travel outside the city. The best suggestion I have heard as of yet, is, get a WIND plan that suits you, then have another CHEAP phone on a pay-as-you-go plan for when you're outside the reasonable zone of cost.
Old 08-01-2010 at 08:45 PM   #39
Brunette03

Liked: 1 Time

Been with both Bell and Rogers and I like Rogers a lot more.

Reception is always good and whenever I have a problem with my Blackberry they send me a new one right away (even though my phone is now out of warranty).
Old 08-01-2010 at 10:31 PM   #40
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kldv View Post
WIND is good news for people who don't travel outside the city. The best suggestion I have heard as of yet, is, get a WIND plan that suits you, then have another CHEAP phone on a pay-as-you-go plan for when you're outside the reasonable zone of cost.
Pay as you go long distance is EXPENSIVE. I had a 22 minute phone call that I had to take yesterday in Hamilton (Toronto number) and I got dinged $9.80 off my Fido prepaid balance. I rarely talk, instead I have the unlimited text option and top up with $20 a month ($22.60 after tax). Texting is good anywhere you go in Canada without long distance.

With a $0.25 a minute long distance plan (non-Wind, Chatr) etc that call would've been $5.50. Technically $0 actually since I would be in the "home" zone, but you know what I mean when I say long distance.

kldv likes this.
Old 08-03-2010 at 11:54 AM   #41
David.dman

Liked: 0 Times

Wind is actually cheaper than the other companies when u are out of the Wind Home Zone. They charge $0.25 per minute of long distance while the Big 3 usually charge $0.30/min long distance. I'v been with Wind for a month now and I absolutely love it. Customer service is great and I can actually call home (Vaughan) from Hamilton without it being long distance.
Old 08-03-2010 at 12:32 PM   #42
blackdragon
Elite Member

Yup, and in wind zone if you go over your minutes, its only 10c/min!
Old 08-03-2010 at 02:32 PM   #43
eleduc

Liked: 49 Times

"Friends don't let friends get Bell."

^ Best thing I've ever heard. Honestly, if you have Bell and are happy with the service, you either have INCREDIBLY low standards or are extremely lucky.

I can't count the number of problems I had with my phone, service, billing and customer service. I will never EVER sign with them again. I was actually told I was uneducated by a Bell customer service rep for not buying an extended warranty on my Blackberry.

I paid to get out of my contract and signed with Koodo, haven't had a single problem since and the most I'll ever pay for my brand new phone is 150.00.

Thinking about switching to TELUS though if they get the new BB Torch 9800
Old 08-03-2010 at 04:19 PM   #44
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

I just left Telus for Rogers.

My brother had a line with rogers that he took over from my parents, been active for 6 years.

I had an account with Telus for three years. Both our contracts were up so we wanted iPhones, Telus offered a shitty deal, $67, Rogers gave me a better plan for only $55.

Telus also wasted my time when I called to officially cancel, as they told me they could match Rogers' plan for $40... I cancelled my preorder iPhone and called Telus back, the new rep told me it doesn't exist for that price. I was so pissed, so I'm now still waiting for my iPhone which I had to call Rogers for again to go through with the order.

So pissed at Telus right now that I wouldn't recommend them.

Even things like, my gf switched her number, i needed my Top 5 changed mid-month, Telus refused to do so, meanwhile my friend has the same situation with Rogers and they switched it for him no problem.
Old 08-03-2010 at 04:29 PM   #45
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
I just left Telus for Rogers.

My brother had a line with rogers that he took over from my parents, been active for 6 years.

I had an account with Telus for three years. Both our contracts were up so we wanted iPhones, Telus offered a shitty deal, $67, Rogers gave me a better plan for only $55.

Telus also wasted my time when I called to officially cancel, as they told me they could match Rogers' plan for $40... I cancelled my preorder iPhone and called Telus back, the new rep told me it doesn't exist for that price. I was so pissed, so I'm now still waiting for my iPhone which I had to call Rogers for again to go through with the order.

So pissed at Telus right now that I wouldn't recommend them.

Even things like, my gf switched her number, i needed my Top 5 changed mid-month, Telus refused to do so, meanwhile my friend has the same situation with Rogers and they switched it for him no problem.
I find with TELUS its a hit and miss. Some reps dont care and will let you leave, some reps do care and will work with you to get a plan YOU want.

eleduc says thanks to blackdragon for this post.