MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Roomate Cancelled His application Rakim Residence & Housing 16 08-12-2010 09:51 PM
Help with course issue jordanrogers Academics 3 06-11-2010 02:03 PM
Roomate niteskie Residence & Housing 79 07-10-2009 07:21 PM
roomate change amit Residence & Housing 2 08-15-2008 08:10 AM

Roomate issue, sleeping

Old 09-10-2008 at 04:51 PM   #1
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Roomate issue, sleeping
Well, the thing is I normally sleep early (around 1130pm)..and the problem is I just CANT SLEEP with any lights or sounds..i need complete darkness and complete silence, this is a result for living as an only child for 18 yrs..

What are some items that I can use to sleep..Im thinking about getting a face fask (black "blindfold" or someting) and ear plugs..although, I dont know if its healthy to use them when you sleep

Any ideas? My roomate sleeps as early as I do this week cause he doesnt have much work, but I dont want to give him a hard time on my behalf

Old 09-10-2008 at 05:02 PM   #2
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey, i had a similar issue with my roommate first year. She would sleep at like 3 a.m. at night but that's cuase she likes studying at night and i would sleep around 12 latest. I did use eye covers to block the light out and ear plugs, it helped a bit but if you want another suggestoin try this. I would tell my roommate i'm going to bed and she would promise to keep the main lights off and just her desk light on to study. When I would eventually fall asleep, she would say "Eva, are you still awake?" and if i say nothing or if its like after 20 minutes, she will turn the light back on if she wanted to. That way, i'm all asleep and i have no idea what is going on then. but that depends if you can sleep like that too. hope that helps.

and also, that's what those roommate agreements are for so you can talk it over with your roommate to set some boundaries.
Old 09-10-2008 at 05:29 PM   #3
kenvin100
Elite Member

hmm, good idea..but i had my roomie do that too..and even with his desk light, i still cant sleep..i cover my face with my blanket..but even just typing on the keyboard keeps me awake! (my roomie just took a nap..he's able to sleep with lights and small noises..i just cant lol..so thas why im thinking of going home this weekend and visit my local shopper drug mart or something =P

Old 09-11-2008 at 04:57 PM   #4
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

I've known people who've slept for years wearing earplugs because their spouse snores, and others who have shift work and wear sleep masks during the day, so I really don't think it's unhealthy to do either.

This is sort of one of those touchy situations, and I'd recommend you discuss it with your CA as well (that's what they're there for, after all). It does sound like you're being very reasonable about the situation, which is a good starting point - I've seen people say almost exactly the same thing you are, only the time they wanted to go to bed was way earlier (like 10 pm), and they more or less demanded that their roommate not type anything after that time or have any light on because it kept them awake...and I've gotta say, that's not exactly a reasonable request when you're a student. So I commend you for trying to see if you can adapt to something different first rather than insisting your roommate conform to your schedule. In the end, it'll probably take some compromise on both your parts, but talking about it is the first step, so I hope you guys work something out!
Old 09-11-2008 at 05:53 PM   #5
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

Best thing to do would be to talk to your roommate/CAs to see what you can do to work out a solution.
Old 09-12-2008 at 10:52 AM   #6
diegocn

Liked: 0 Times

The best way? Get used to it and learn how to sleep with light and noise. Sorry for being harsh, but it will be beneficial in your later time living outside with other people if you have less "only-child" type of habbits.
Old 09-12-2008 at 12:19 PM   #7
Kevin

Liked: 1 Time

True that getting used to sleeping with light/noise will benefit you later, but some people just have an extremely hard time doing it. He may be able to progressivly sleep with more light and noise as time goes by but by that time it could be the end of the school year. I'm the same way pretty much. I have a hard time sleeping if it's not completely dark/quiet, and even then it may take an hour before i fall asleep.

Here's some hints to try to sleep:
- avoid drinking coffee/pop for at least 3 hours before bed.
- don't watch tv/computer screen before going to bed.
- you can buy sleeping pills at walmart (or shoppers, you said) such as unisom(i thinks thats how to spell it)
- get a face mask
- drinking milk helps you sleep
- don't exercise before bed
Old 09-12-2008 at 06:54 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

kevin100, i used to have your problem in terms of lighting, but i learned to grow out of it.

i learned how to nap in university...it just takes some getting used to and you can eventually do it.

having a positive attitude helps too...and weird as it is for me to say (and everyone who knows me knows i'm a MASSIVE pessimist...)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-13-2008 at 05:47 PM   #9
kenvin100
Elite Member

alright thx guys...well i tried what eva told me..and it works!

but just to be safe, i got a sleep mask..its not exactly my roomate thas the problem..its rly the outside noise..too many underage drinkers...:drinking0 5:

my roomie normally sleeps around 1130-1145 on normal days and 1am if he has homework..or so he told me..but he has LOTS more time to work since he has about 15hrs of school a week while I have double the amount

Its cool styll..Sorry guys, its just on that day I was incredibly homesick..and i even had a disagreement with my dad on the phone...lifes a little tough when you lived with your parents for 18 yrs as an only child...(that prolly explains why I've made so many threads here on MacInsiders..sorry :()

Last edited by kenvin100 : 09-13-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2008 at 10:51 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

i was an only child for 19 years when i moved into res. i'm still an only child at 23 years...though my parents have gotten to the point where they have their own life now without me.

your time will come eventually too.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-14-2008 at 07:19 AM   #11
kenvin100
Elite Member

lol funny, cause im 17 HA

but ye, im at home right now, and for some reason, I dont want to come back to McMaster...I guess I'll have to come home everyweekend..buoy homesickness got me a week behind in class..least I attended all my lectures this week... :(

Old 09-14-2008 at 10:13 AM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

First year is a hard transition for a lot of people; and some get more homesick than others.

I must suggest not to go home every weekend though; otherwise you'll miss out on lots of social activities at Mac...which is something you'll wish you didn't do in later years. I know a bunch of people who went home weekly and regret doing so.