MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Writing exams for classes you're not enrolled in nmerwin Academics 14 12-03-2012 11:26 PM
Comparison of different Internet providers WeRunTheCity Computers & Tech 7 08-22-2012 09:15 AM
Comparison of Honours Biology Programs Angoose Academics 4 03-28-2011 12:10 PM
Why no rule for length of shorts at the gym? Kathy2 General Discussion 38 10-21-2009 07:25 PM
Residence Rule (Technical Question) mike_302 Residence & Housing 10 03-23-2009 07:21 PM

Rule about last day of classes in comparison to the first day of an exams ?

Members have rated post #362832 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 03-11-2013 at 03:25 PM   #16
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
im pretty sure nurses/health sci have 1-3 exams a term/ lol
:o omg that sounds terrible!!! Now it makes sense why they are always complaining about their insane work load i cant imagine what it must be like to have 3 exams... IN ONE EXAM PERIOD. gives me nightmares just thinking about it
Old 03-11-2013 at 04:23 PM   #17
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelsrfun View Post
It is not just a class it is a 12-hour clinical day 7am – 7pm and the exam in course where we teach ourselves all the material. There are not lectures you just learn the material from these narrated power points.

Some schools have a rule about the last day of classes in comparison to the 1st day of exams

And I also have another clinical on the 10th 8:30 – 3:30. I was just more upset about April 9th because were told at the beginning of the term the previous Tuesday was out last day.
It's completely irrelevant that it's a clinical placement.

Schools that have rules about it have it built into their exam schedule just as Mac does. Classes end on day X and exams start on day Y, with the minimum allowable time between X and Y.

As for your other clinical being extended, that's something you should take up with your faculty if it really upsets you; it's perfectly within university regulations to actually have to do schoolwork up until the very last day.
Old 03-11-2013 at 04:34 PM   #18
camelsrfun

Liked: 12 Times

I never complain about how hard nursing is, but nursing students commonly complain about how hard it is no matter what institution they study at.

Some things about the program are unusual ex. we have 12 hours of clinical per week for a 4-unit course. The same course requires a lotof out of class assignment and preparation time.

Nursing is not super difficult to get into like health sci, andthere are not a high percentage of people on dean’s list in nursing. Unlike health sci where the majority are acknowledge for maintaining an A+ average.

Nursing also has a very high attrition rate unlike health sci

I think four exams per term is more accurate, and it was five exams per term in 1st year.
Old 03-11-2013 at 04:56 PM   #19
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

dont worry, we're just messin around. nursing isnt easy from what i know. and dont worry about exams. start early and you should have no troubles. most kids are going to be in similar situations as you also.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 03-11-2013 at 05:02 PM   #20
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelsrfun View Post
I never complain about how hard nursing is, but nursing students commonly complain about how hard it is no matter what institution they study at.

Some things about the program are unusual ex. we have 12 hours of clinical per week for a 4-unit course. The same course requires a lotof out of class assignment and preparation time.

Nursing is not super difficult to get into like health sci, andthere are not a high percentage of people on dean’s list in nursing. Unlike health sci where the majority are acknowledge for maintaining an A+ average.

Nursing also has a very high attrition rate unlike health sci

I think four exams per term is more accurate, and it was five exams per term in 1st year.
I think the difference is that nursing is a professional program, so it's *supposed* to be like that. You're supposed to get a ton of clinical experience, that's the most valuable part of the program. It's not completely fair to compare nursing (or engineering, for that matter) to other non-professional programs. Some degree of comparison is possible in that they're all "undergrad" degrees that you can enter right from high school, but the expectations are different - they should be higher for nursing and engineering.

So yeah, finishing term work on the 9th and having your first exam on the 13th is both allowed and a completely reasonable situation.

Faer likes this.
Old 03-11-2013 at 06:10 PM   #21
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

I do know where OP is coming from.
I have a mega-anatomy exam this year where students spend easily over 300 hours studying for in the preceding few weeks...only to end up with a barely passing mark.
Don't worry. We'll manage. :.)
Old 03-11-2013 at 06:20 PM   #22
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
I do know where OP is coming from.
I have a mega-anatomy exam this year where students spend easily over 300 hours studying for in the preceding few weeks...only to end up with a barely passing mark.
Don't worry. We'll manage. :.)
If it makes you feel any better, I just had a midterm where the class average and median were 30%.
And it's not like the entire class decided to wing the midterm either...yet approx 140 people got below 30%.

300 hours is excessive though...if you're studying for literally 12.5 days 24-hours straight for a test and barely passing, I'd suggest re-thinking your study strategy (just as I would suggest the majority of my class re-think their studying strategy ).
Old 03-11-2013 at 06:24 PM   #23
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

300 hours? i seriously doubt that. if its the anatomy class that 1st year nurses take and upper year engineers, i cant imagine spending even 20 hours for it to get a decent grade. when exams come, you shouldnt even have to spend more than 15 hard hours to study imo.
Old 03-11-2013 at 06:39 PM   #24
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Erm...I spent 300 hours, and I'm sure other people spend more...
It's likely not the most effective studying strategy, but I'm open to more.
Old 03-12-2013 at 05:07 AM   #25
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

300 hours? You mean like 10 hours a day for a month? Pardon me for asking but how the hell does that work? Where is there even time in your schedule for this?

Afzal, ashleighp, starfish like this.
Old 03-12-2013 at 12:40 PM   #26
Nicole

Liked: 2 Times

That first year nursing anatomy course is really intense with so much information to learn. I think I studied for a week and a half at least (during reading week) just for the midterm, let alone the final exam. And it is a course a lot of students end up just passing. I believe that was the hardest class I ever took in my four year.

Zebedee says thanks to Nicole for this post.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 03-12-2013 at 05:06 PM   #27
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I know how you feel having to do placement and tests and it totally feels overwhelming. However, sometimes you just need to do it. It'll prepare you well for working in healthcare. You'll be thrown all of these tasks at you and you'll learn how to balance and prioritize. The blunt saying I have to tell myself at work is "shut up and do it" when I start to feel stressed.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

starfish, Zebedee like this.
Old 03-12-2013 at 05:29 PM   #28
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

300 hours, lol.
Old 03-13-2013 at 06:14 AM   #29
Mungo

Liked: 19 Times

This thread is funny.

I read it all.

It made me giggle.

Zebedee likes this.