MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overly Attached Girlfriend Vessi General Discussion 12 06-11-2012 01:48 PM
Getting my Girlfriend a Graduation Gift danallan Dating & Relationships 19 05-25-2010 10:01 AM
Ryan needs a girlfriend.. FAST! huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 16 03-25-2010 01:57 AM
Finding a Girlfriend ... Rossclot Dating & Relationships 150 02-03-2010 01:34 PM

School + Girlfriend?

Members have rated post #365171 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 07-06-2013 at 06:26 PM   #61
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
You, frankly, have a lot to learn. I really admire your enthusiasm and how eager you seem in your posts but the method of delivery is lacking. Wait until university starts for you, and just see how things unroll. Perhaps, after four years from now if you decide to stick with your current mentality you'll see what you've gained and what you've loss. Just remember though. Don't regret it then, since you already made the choice without gaining any university experience.
So... much cringe.

I can eat the unwarranted condescension off your post with a butter knife.

Naivety is changed through experiences and time, not patronizing lectures.

RiskBreaker likes this.
Old 07-06-2013 at 09:51 PM   #62
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

I wish prostitution was legal and there is no social stigma attached to using such service.
Old 07-07-2013 at 01:47 AM   #63
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
There are a few things wrong with this post. Where do I start? Ah, I know.
  • I have a few friends in Software Engineering who have 12.0 averages who play video games on a daily basis. That time, alternatively could've been used with a girlfriend, if they were capable of getting one. People need a source of relieving their stress. For a few of my friends, their getaway is gaming. For several others, it could be their significant other. It's that simple. No lifing your education is very unhealthy, and sure it may produce the right results in the short term, but it can have long term impacts on your health and your social life. I'll leave that decision up to you. But, eh.
  • Some people need to no life their education to get into top schools. Alternatively, you have a class of people who study smart. They don't need to put in 12 hours a day from day one to get that 12.0 average. They know when to study, what to study and how to study it efficiently. A large part about university is about understanding what learning style works best for you. For some it could take a day, a month, a year and for some they won't know since they only go with the brute force method which is just continually studying. Several people do no need to attend certain classes and can still without a sweat attain a 12.0 mark in that class. Again. It goes back to how you analyze what is needed to do well for the course, and your plan of action. But, you would need to be in university to understand that. There is always more than one perspective on any given matter. Fortunately, or rather, unfortunately in your case you would need to attend university for sometime to gain that insight others on this board already have.
  • "The more you study, the better prepared you will be which equates to a higher performance." This is incorrect since this doesn't hold for all people. Not everyone needs to study on a continual basis to get higher performance. Some courses are extremely subjective. As an example, take an English course. Sure, you can "study" all you want. You can read all the books you want, and write practice essays and sit down with your T.A. (teaching assistant if you don't know) and get their feedback, sure. That doesn't mean when it comes down to the actual assignment you will get a better mark than before. It isn't guaranteed. It cannot be guaranteed.
  • For your information by the way, another friend of mine is in Chemical Engineering, and he's just one of the many students at McMaster University in the Faculty of Engineering, in an actual Engineering program with a girlfriend. He's been in a steady & healthy relationship with her for over 3 years now. They both have similar mindsets when it comes to academia and their long term plans so they can work with one another. If you can find someone who can respect your academic and/or long term plans then a relationship can be a healthy thing for you.
You, frankly, have a lot to learn. I really admire your enthusiasm and how eager you seem in your posts but the method of delivery is lacking. Wait until university starts for you, and just see how things unroll. Perhaps, after four years from now if you decide to stick with your current mentality you'll see what you've gained and what you've loss. Just remember though. Don't regret it then, since you already made the choice without gaining any university experience.
What was the entire point of your post? I am here to generate discussion by giving my opinions, your post seems to be a personal attack. Your last point shows how low your forum attitude is. In this entire thread, I have not said one bad thing about anyone. Your last post seems smart, but if you translate it:

You, frankly, have a lot to learn. I really admire your enthusiasm and how eager you seem in your posts but the method of delivery is lacking. (you're a high school student)
Wait until university starts for you, and just see how things unroll.(you're a high school student)
Perhaps, after four years from now if you decide to stick with your current mentality you'll see what you've gained and what you've loss. (totally not relevant to topic, personal attack)
Just remember though. Don't regret it then, since you already made the choice without gaining any university experience. (relationships are foundational to the university experience)

First of all, all i say is, like what the op says. The op for your information is the original poster, for those who don't go on reddit or forums since it seems no one read what i wrote. Having a relationship is indeed detrimental to a persons grade, or can be a risk in making them perform worse.

A relationship is in no way essential to the university experience, you make it sound like it is mandatory and that 99% of the entire world are in relationships and it is important in university. Are you telling me that the majority of people in university didn't get the university experience? The university experience in my opinion is being in clubs, getting involved and using all resources in university life and doing well. Relationships ARE NOT essential in university life, what experience are you exactly talking about?

Atleast for business, I've been in student venture programs for a big 4 accounting firm, and the employers don't give a crap if you write "i balanced a gf and a 10.0 cgpa. They care if you balanced a 10.0 cgpa and were the exec of several clubs or societies.

In rebuttal, please give me an answer, how does being in an relationship help a person perform better in university? What is this "university experience" you speak of? Don't give me unnecessary "you're still in highschool" crap
Old 07-07-2013 at 02:09 AM   #64
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

Quote:
I wish prostitution was legal and there is no social stigma attached to using such service.
Pretty sure it is legal. It's not unionized or anything, but there are hookers in Canada. Basically it's about as illegal as drugs, illegal but noone cares.

What makes you think social stigma and legalization have anything to do with each other?

Also, you are a guy right? Since when do clients worry about hookers' social stigmas? If you worry about your possible stigma, well, if you are single, and you pay for sex, noone will care.

Last edited by MrPlinkett : 07-07-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-07-2013 at 03:20 PM   #65
ofomkcidtae
Account Locked

Liked: 47 Times

hmm school + you + girlfriend. that is one freaky threesome
Old 07-07-2013 at 09:49 PM   #66
RiskBreaker

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
This. Is. Genius.

Do I have permission to copy?
Anytime, it's under creative commons.

P.S. This entire thread up to this point was more enjoyable than Thomas Hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge.:smile_c offee:

Last edited by RiskBreaker : 07-07-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2013 at 10:11 PM   #67
BusterCherry
Account Locked

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
You, frankly, have a lot to learn. I really admire your enthusiasm and how eager you seem in your posts but the method of delivery is lacking. (you're a high school student)
Wait until university starts for you, and just see how things unroll.(you're a high school student)
Perhaps, after four years from now if you decide to stick with your current mentality you'll see what you've gained and what you've loss. (totally not relevant to topic, personal attack)
Just remember though. Don't regret it then, since you already made the choice without gaining any university experience. (relationships are foundational to the university experience)

In rebuttal, please give me an answer, how does being in an relationship help a person perform better in university? What is this "university experience" you speak of? Don't give me unnecessary "you're still in highschool" crap
Shove a tampon in it already. crazy thought here, you ARE still a highschool kid. So technically that point is correct. However, reading through the highlighted posts above, your translations made above are well, bullshit to say the least. stop bitching and take people's responses for what they are.
If you are willing to post in a public forum, people are entitled to reply to your posts. The unneccessary and in general, completely incorrect interpretation you have given of herb's post is really juvenile. oh and btw... THAT DOES TRANSLATE TO "YOU'RE A HIGHSCHOOL STUDENT".

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 07-07-2013 at 10:21 PM   #68
RiskBreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterCherry View Post
Shove a tampon in it already. crazy thought here, you ARE still a highschool kid. So technically that point is correct. However, reading through the highlighted posts above, your translations made above are well, bullshit to say the least. stop bitching and take people's responses for what they are.
If you are willing to post in a public forum, people are entitled to reply to your posts. The unneccessary and in general, completely incorrect interpretation you have given of herb's post is really juvenile. oh and btw... THAT DOES TRANSLATE TO "YOU'RE A HIGHSCHOOL STUDENT".
Aren't we being a little juvenile ourselves by replying this way? Let's set an example here.
Old 07-07-2013 at 10:28 PM   #69
BusterCherry
Account Locked

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskBreaker View Post
Aren't we being a little juvenile ourselves by replying this way? Let's set an example here.
awee thats so cute

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 07-07-2013 at 10:37 PM   #70
RiskBreaker

"Time drives the flocks from field to fold,
When Rivers rage and Rocks grow cold,
And the Philomel becometh dumb,
The rest complains of cares to come."

- Sir Walter Relegh

Old 07-07-2013 at 10:50 PM   #71
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

I think the consensus of this thread would be: do whatever the hell works for you. Everyone is different. Someone out there is going to disagree with you, and someone out there's going to be a dick about it. Forget about those people and live your life.

(On the flip side, don't be a dick just because you disagree with someone).

RiskBreaker likes this.
Old 07-11-2013 at 01:54 AM  
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 07-15-2013 at 09:24 PM   #72
oOAmberOo

Liked: 0 Times

My Boyfriends in Engineering at McMaster, and though it isn't easy during exam time because I don't see him until it's over, I understand it's important to him and respect that studying comes first during Exams/Midterms and anything else that's major You just need someone understanding of what you want then it will workl
Old 07-15-2013 at 10:03 PM   #73
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOAmberOo View Post
My Boyfriends in Engineering at McMaster, and though it isn't easy during exam time because I don't see him until it's over, I understand it's important to him and respect that studying comes first during Exams/Midterms and anything else that's major You just need someone understanding of what you want then it will workl
Yep. He's definitely got what it takes to become an engineer.