MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Science 3EP3 Suggestions lisar Academics 5 05-02-2012 09:51 AM
Anyone taken Science 3EP3? bubbly Academics 4 12-10-2011 08:34 PM
Science 3EP3 ~*Sara*~ Academics 3 11-22-2010 12:51 AM
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
Enviro Sci 3ep3 manu Academics 3 01-07-2010 07:57 PM

Science 3EP3/3RP3

Old 06-06-2012 at 03:06 PM   #1
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Science 3EP3/3RP3
Hi,

I was interested in taking these two courses. I know for 3EP3 you have to find a placement with someone? Anybody have any suggestions also what would you say when you contact them?

As for 3RP3 I'm looking for more information but I'm not finding any. Can anyone give insight into this course.
Old 06-11-2012 at 05:40 PM   #2
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

anyone? please help.
Old 06-11-2012 at 05:55 PM   #3
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Science 3EP3 seems more open to what you can do ie. can work in the community and not limited to campus. Science 3RP3 seems to be more research focused, ie. working in a lab setting.

You will indeed have to find your own supervisor, which isn't necessarily too hard. Look up the research interests of potential supervisors and see what you like. Then email them stating you're going to be enrolling in Science 3EP3 and ask if they are interested in supervising you. Then you'll probably arrange some sort of meeting to talk about what you could be working on. In terms of looking for stuff in the Hamilton community, do the same thing. Look at what you could potentially use your skills/knowledge in science for, maybe conservation efforts.

If you want more information, contact the Associate Dean of Science (Academic) (as it seems they are someone directly involved in this course) and ask them your questions. You can also email SCCE and see if they can lead you to more information. If you're in Hamilton or are able to drop by, it might be best to book an appointment with the Associate Dean of Science (Academic) and you can properly discuss the process of Science 3EP3/3RP3 and your options.

Some contact information:

Associate Dean of Science (studies):
Telephone Inquiries Student Inquiries
Phone
905-525-9140
Ext 27590
Email Inquiries Email questions to [email protected] (Please include your name and student number in your email)

Science Career and Co-operative Education:
[email protected]

Good luck!

Note: They might be anti-requisites, or you might only be able to take one each term. Although this is just an inkling I have.

Scuderia says thanks to particle for this post.

optimism likes this.
Old 06-11-2012 at 06:09 PM   #4
sdee

Liked: 8 Times

Hi Scuderia,

I am enrolled in Life Sci 3RP3 for the fall term. This course is new for this year and basically is the same thing as Science/ Life Sci 3EP3, except that your final project will be a research proposal in 3RP3. That being said, you do need to work in a research-based environment for 3RP3 so with a prof at mac. However, 3EP3 will be like a coop placement and you can do it at any place (ie. nursing home, school, etc.)

If you are in Life sci, I would suggest talking to Sarah Robinson instead of the career office because she can give you the exact details and the completed forms go by her.

Both courses are very flexible and you're whole terms work will be based on how your placement supervisor decides to grade you. Also, note that this is not a pass/fail course and you will actually get a grade (I checked 2 weeks ago at the career office)

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you want more info

Scuderia says thanks to sdee for this post.

optimism likes this.
Old 06-12-2012 at 03:07 PM   #5
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdee View Post
Hi Scuderia,

I am enrolled in Life Sci 3RP3 for the fall term. This course is new for this year and basically is the same thing as Science/ Life Sci 3EP3, except that your final project will be a research proposal in 3RP3. That being said, you do need to work in a research-based environment for 3RP3 so with a prof at mac. However, 3EP3 will be like a coop placement and you can do it at any place (ie. nursing home, school, etc.)

If you are in Life sci, I would suggest talking to Sarah Robinson instead of the career office because she can give you the exact details and the completed forms go by her.

Both courses are very flexible and you're whole terms work will be based on how your placement supervisor decides to grade you. Also, note that this is not a pass/fail course and you will actually get a grade (I checked 2 weeks ago at the career office)

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you want more info
PM'd 12chars
Old 06-12-2012 at 05:58 PM   #6
optimism

Liked: 14 Times

Life Sci 3EP3 sounds really interesting, can someone please shed more light on it? What are the advantages of taking it as opposed to getting a placement in the community anyway without this label (life sci course)?
Old 06-13-2012 at 02:09 PM   #7
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

hey have any of you guys managed to add 3r3 on solar? i know it requires permission but they only have permission forms for ep3 and the other 6 cred one online. they havent posted permission forms for 3rp3 yey so yea...
Old 06-13-2012 at 04:32 PM   #8
sdee

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
hey have any of you guys managed to add 3r3 on solar? i know it requires permission but they only have permission forms for ep3 and the other 6 cred one online. they havent posted permission forms for 3rp3 yey so yea...
Hey!

Since 3RP3 is a new course, there are no forms for it out as of yet. That being said, if you are interested in the course, you just need to fill out the 3EP3 form and make sure that your final assignment will be a research proposal. I suggest you go in and talk to the coop/ life sci advisor depending on which requisite (i.e. Life sci/ sci) you're planning to take.
Old 06-13-2012 at 05:15 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimism View Post
Life Sci 3EP3 sounds really interesting, can someone please shed more light on it? What are the advantages of taking it as opposed to getting a placement in the community anyway without this label (life sci course)?
Pretty sure the main one is that you get academic credit for it.