MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Suggestions With Reinstatement Please? jawwadmq Academics 7 03-04-2012 07:39 PM
Anyone taken Science 3EP3? bubbly Academics 4 12-10-2011 08:34 PM
Science 3EP3 ~*Sara*~ Academics 3 11-22-2010 12:51 AM
Enviro Sci 3ep3 manu Academics 3 01-07-2010 07:57 PM

Science 3EP3 Suggestions

Old 04-11-2012 at 03:09 PM   #1
lisar

Liked: 8 Times

Science 3EP3 Suggestions
Hello. I am thinking of doing science 3ep3 next year, first semester so i need to start looking for a position and i must say, i am at a bit of a loss. I have looked into some things at St. Joseph's hospital and found some researchers i can contact but i would like some suggestions/ideas about people who have done this course before about how to approach people, is it better to want a paid job or volunteering? I would prefer a job since i don't have much work experience but have a lot of volunteering but at the same time, i don't know if i am good enough to do something worth their money, you know what i mean? since its only for one term, they obviously they don't really need me.

Also, with the supervisors, how have you guys picked those? and how were you marked? was it report, presentation, discussions...?

I am a little nervous since i haven't done something like this before so any help would be appreciated! Thanks. Good luck on exams!

-Lisa

P.S. One of the examples i was thinking of would be to work with a researcher in anxiety and then get one of the profs who teach psychology or neuroscience courses to supervise me. What do you think? But then i don't know like whether i am supposed to have some sort of research to present or how i would be graded since i am not really researching for a specific project like a thesis thing...I am just helping the researcher and its not always gonna be exciting, new stuff, it could be just like helping with the computer or databases and such, so i don't know what i would present or write about. I know i am overthinking it but any help is appreciated.

Also, how many hours weekly did you do? Did you go in one day like all day or a few times a week or do it in the summer?
Old 04-11-2012 at 03:44 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I don't have all your answers unfortunately, but one thing that would make you "worth their money" is if you stay with them part-time the following term and maybe even do a 4th year project/thesis with them. That way, they wouldn't have trained you for just the 4 months and you would've gotten much more experience and thorough research than a 4-month project!

As for the last question, it' s a minimum of 60 hours, but it's all dependent on the arrangement between you and your supervisor. For e.g. you could go in a few days a week between classes (i.e. more data and finish faster?), which is what I know a friend who took 3EP3 did. And I think that's how most part-time research positions work as well!

lisar says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 04-11-2012 at 05:28 PM   #3
karna

Liked: 28 Times

I did it with a Biochemistry prof last semester and he also graded me for the course. I was graded based on my presentation, lab notebook, weekly lab meetings, attendance and final report. Although it says minimum of 60 hrs, if you take EP3 with a research prof then they will ask for at least 10 hrs per week. Some of my friends also did this course with Lets Talk Science.

lisar says thanks to karna for this post.
Old 05-02-2012 at 01:26 AM   #4
bubbly

Liked: 1 Time

hey karna, who was the academic supervisor for your friends who did 3ep3 with lets talk science
Old 05-02-2012 at 08:02 AM   #5
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Has anyone done this placement in a school setting? I was talking to an adviser and she said quite a few students do so I am just wondering how it was.

Also to anyone who has taken the course...how did they mark you? or is it different for everyone?
Old 05-02-2012 at 09:51 AM   #6
Rhythm

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbly View Post
hey karna, who was the academic supervisor for your friends who did 3ep3 with lets talk science
Hey I did 3EP3 with LTS and the supervisor was the Associate Dean of Science (Alison) and we were graded on how well we made kits, delivered presentation and talks at schools, a final reports, regular meetings etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
Has anyone done this placement in a school setting? I was talking to an adviser and she said quite a few students do so I am just wondering how it was.

Also to anyone who has taken the course...how did they mark you? or is it different for everyone?
Its different based on your supervisor. If you do it in a school setting then they grade you on how well you are able to convey the information to the students, how well you made the presentation, they also ask the teachers for some feedback! And you have to write a report at the end so that accounts for the major chunk of your mark!

Last edited by jhan523 : 05-02-2012 at 11:14 AM.

bubbly says thanks to Rhythm for this post.