MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second Degree dmzz Academics 0 07-13-2010 01:12 PM
Which is better? A difficult degree with a slightly lower mark or an easier degree... Porsche Academics 14 06-04-2010 10:57 PM
Question Regarding Program Transfer littlejohnny Academics 4 12-29-2009 04:15 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
program transfer munawm General Discussion 4 08-29-2009 04:13 AM

Second Degree and Program Transfer

Old 01-22-2010 at 07:09 AM   #1
Chris094

Liked: 0 Times

Second Degree and Program Transfer
If I choose a Sociology B.A (3 year) to be my level 2 program, and
complete the requirements for this degree, is it possible to, instead
of graduating upon completion of the former, transfer to the Honors
Social Psychology program at this time with advanced placement? I plan
on taking many of the course requirements for the Honors Social
Psychology program during the Sociology B.A (3 year) as electives and
requirements (the two programs share some requirements) just in case I
decide to transfer. Where would I begin (at what level or how many
units in?) upon entering into the Honors Social Psychology program from
a Sociology B.A (3 year)?

Alternately, is it possible for me to get a second degree directly after completion of the Sociology B.A (with many Honours Social Psychology requirements taken as electives) in Honours Social Psychology? I've read the regulations in the calendar and it says this may not be possible if there is "substantial overlap". What constitutes "substantial overlap"? I read an earlier post by Lorend (who's replies hitherto have been extremely helpful by the way) and she took/is taking a second degree in English even though there was/is substantial overlap between this degree and her former CSCT.

To add one additional factor into the equation, I will be taking 4 courses during this coming spring/summer session and will be taking an overload of courses during the 2010/2011 fall/winter session and then an overload of courses during the 2011 spring/summer session, in order to complete my Sociology B.A by the 2011 spring/summer session (I am currently in first year). My question is twofold: will I be able to transfer to the Honours Social Psychology program for the fall/winter session directly following the 2011 spring/summer session if I decide not to graduate with the Sociology B.A but instead continue into the Honours Social Psychology program? Alternatively, will I be able to enter into an Honours Social Psychology second degree directly following the completion of the Sociology 3 year B.A (which will be completed in 2)?

I just want to say that so far this forum has been tremendously helpful, much more so than directly contacting departments and advisors via email.

You guys/girls kick ass,
Chris

Last edited by Chris094 : 01-22-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2010 at 09:32 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I don't know if I can give you all of the answers you are seeking, but I can certainly tell you my experience with a second degree.

I was about to graduate with a combined honours in Cultural Studies and Critical Theory and Anthropology, but wanted to do graduate work in English, since the only CSCT Masters in Canada is at Mac.

So I applied for a second degree in English (non-honours), and attempted to have that a combined degree with Indigenous Studies.

Since many of my English and CSCT courses were cross-listed, there were not too many additional courses I needed to complete the BA. In total I believe it was 18 units of English, and the rest went to electives.

However, I decided to make it a second honours degree towards the end of last year, with an Indigenous Studies minor. I only needed nine more units of English to do this; so I signed up for my seminars and then grabbed one more English. The rest of my classes this year (21 units) were all electives.

As you mentioned, you may not be able to do this, since there would be substantial overlap...but I'm not sure why this is the case, since clearly I was able to use my CSCT credits for my English degree. It may be since you need certain CSCT credits for the English degree; I am not really sure.

The social psych program is pretty new, correct?

I'm thinking that you could switch into Social Psych, since that is what you really want, and then minor in Sociology. It may end up making you take an extra year, though. Unfortunately it seems that you may have to make an appt with someone in the Psych department to get the answers you are seeking.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-22-2010 at 01:19 PM   #3
Chris094

Liked: 0 Times

How do I attain permission from the Office of the Associate Dean of my faculty for overload work?

And by what dates must I attain this permission if I wish to overload for either a) the fall/winter session or b) the spring/summer session?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-22-2010 at 04:18 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I actually have no idea, as I've never done it because I'd not be able to do well in the class with everything else going on as well as the increased workload.

From what I understand you talk to an academic advisor, I assume in the weeks before course selection.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-27-2010 at 01:11 AM   #5
leaffan

Liked: 4 Times

I got permission to overload this year just by calling in. I didn't end up overloading in the end but it took about two minutes over the phone.