MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

Second Year course in First Year?

Old 07-01-2009 at 09:13 AM   #1
gcruz91

Liked: 0 Times

Second Year course in First Year?
Ok, so seeing as my other options for electives are full, I was thinking of taking a second year course as an elective in my first year. In particular RELIG 2QQ3, the Cults in North America course, caught my eye. Is there any reason why I should possibly reconsider this?
Old 07-01-2009 at 10:18 AM   #2
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcruz91 View Post
Ok, so seeing as my other options for electives are full, I was thinking of taking a second year course as an elective in my first year. In particular RELIG 2QQ3, the Cults in North America course, caught my eye. Is there any reason why I should possibly reconsider this?
Alright, there are 2 sides to this.

I took a 2nd year course in my first year (Gerontology 2B03 - The Aging Body) and absolutly loved it. It ended up being among my top marks and I do not regret taking it. However, I absolutely love learning about aging & learning about the body, so when you put both together in a course, I think it's amazing. This being said, second year courses are different from first year in what they expect from you. First year courses assume you're doing this for the first time and the expectations are different from second year courses where second year courses expect you've already gone through a year of school, know how to study and guide you a lot less than first year courses do.
I personally wouldn't recommend taking a second year course in first year unless you're really passionate about what you're learning.

If I were you, I'd just keep re-checking SOLAR for course openings to the electives you want. By the first week of classes, there most likely will be seats open.
Old 07-01-2009 at 10:28 AM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I agree with Christina. However, if you can take that course in 2nd term, by then you've already had some experience with university and have possibly completed courses in first term. It's something to think about.
Old 07-01-2009 at 11:25 PM   #4
gcruz91

Can anyone tell me about the actual CULTS IN NORTH AMERICA course? b/c i tried looking for a review about it, but i couldnt find one. perhaps i just wasn't looking in the right place.

What should I expect in the course? and my only worry is being a first year among a group of second years
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:04 AM   #5
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Can anyone tell me about the actual CULTS IN NORTH AMERICA course? b/c i tried looking for a review about it, but i couldnt find one. perhaps i just wasn't looking in the right place.

What should I expect in the course? and my only worry is being a first year among a group of second years

http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/relstud/emplibrary/CultsNA2007.pdf
Here is the course outline for the course... maybe it can answer some of your questions about the course.

gcruz91 says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:09 AM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:

Mm you shouldn't worry so much about being the only first year. I met a lot of 2nd and 3rd years in my first year classes last year. You might meet other first years too.

gcruz91 says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:16 AM   #7
gcruz91

after reading the course description:
two tests worth 25 % each and the final exam worth 50 %, i think i want to keep looking for other electives. idk if i an willing to take that risk in first year : /
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:22 AM   #8
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
two tests worth 25 % each and the final exam worth 50 %, i think i want to keep looking for other electives. idk if i an willing to take that risk in first year : /
Hmm okay, but that outline is from 2007 so the course may be run differently.
Anyways there are some second year social science courses that can be taken. They were recommended to me by others who took these courses when they were in first year.
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:32 AM   #9
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Haha, I know what you mean. I however, had a first year course similar to that. One essay worth 45% + 5% for it's paper proposal, an exam worth 40% in second term. And two essays worth 25% and 35% plus a 30% exam in first term. That was Poli Sci 1G06, i.e. hell.
Old 07-02-2009 at 11:20 AM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I took a second year pol sci (2XX3) in first year. I did okay in the class, but not as well as I should have. The prof (who still teachers the class now) writes really hard midterms and/or finals. Our class average for the midterm was like 56% or something...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-02-2009 at 12:13 PM   #11
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

I actually took a second year course during first year and I loved it. I found that the TA/professor expected more from me but the lectures were very interesting. If you are willing to work hard, it should not be a problem.
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:55 PM   #12
sljl16

Okay, this isn't a second year course, so I'm kinda veering off that topic, but has anyone been in the Communication Studies course? I've taken it as one of my electives, but I'm not entirely sure what happens in the course, or what to expect.
Old 07-02-2009
nh999
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-02-2009 at 01:03 PM   #13
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I'm guessing you're referring to Communication Studies 1A03.

Check out the course reviews: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1829 7 .

sljl16 says thanks to nh999 for this post.