MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unbalanced Courseload oxelhs Academics 15 06-22-2011 01:57 PM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

Second Year Courseload

Old 07-01-2011 at 03:03 PM   #16
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Yuppers. THanks for confirming for me! I won't be able to apply in second year, though...since I'm missing physics 1b03 for UofT plus the pcat and I'm missing bio 2ee3 for Waterloo. :S. How long do you think it will take to prep for the PCAT and does anyone have book recommendations for prepping?
Old 07-01-2011 at 03:18 PM   #17
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Yuppers. THanks for confirming for me! I won't be able to apply in second year, though...since I'm missing physics 1b03 for UofT plus the pcat and I'm missing bio 2ee3 for Waterloo. :S. How long do you think it will take to prep for the PCAT and does anyone have book recommendations for prepping?
I've been using the Kaplan book, it's pretty decent. It shouldn't take too long to prep for it; a lot of the info is stuff you should already have learned.
I've heard that you can apply to Waterloo even if you don't have microbio, you just have to provide a good reason for not having taken it (ex, it's only offered in first term at mac but your program doesn't allow for elective spaces in first term, or something along those lines).
Old 07-02-2011 at 01:47 AM   #18
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I've been using the Kaplan book, it's pretty decent. It shouldn't take too long to prep for it; a lot of the info is stuff you should already have learned.
I've heard that you can apply to Waterloo even if you don't have microbio, you just have to provide a good reason for not having taken it (ex, it's only offered in first term at mac but your program doesn't allow for elective spaces in first term, or something along those lines).
Oh really? I never read about not needing microbio...hm. If that's the only prerequisite I'm missing for Waterloo (Assuming that I will finish all of them by May 2012), would I be able to apply in the upcoming year (we usually apply in January right?) ? I'm heading into second year atm. Did you buy the Kaplan book from a bookstore or got a copy off the internet?
Old 07-02-2011 at 07:21 AM   #19
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

I used Kaplan alone and did not find it sufficient. The bio section was horribly written, and the math section is not even close to the real PCAT. I did well bc I had been studying for the mcat at the same time.

One thing/resource that was soooo valuable was the 3 practice tests off the Pearson website...make sure you get those and practice them once you feel you have done enough studying.

It's true if you are missing any prereqs for UW you provide a reason and give an action plan (ie. Will take in summer), however, and they say this on their site, that people who have completed all the prereqs have a competitive advantage.
Old 07-02-2011 at 05:51 PM   #20
Angoose
Elite Member

Thanks for your insight . I was going to go out and buy a copy of Kaplan...guess I'll save my money haha.