MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can you apply for a second year program in your second year? fatimaa Academics 5 12-22-2013 02:39 PM
After getting into a second year program... Driftking24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 02-29-2012 05:33 PM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Second Year and Program-less!?!? The MACster Academics 2 06-14-2010 03:48 AM

Second Year Program

Old 04-28-2014 at 04:16 PM   #1
Arrowpro

Liked: 0 Times

Second Year Program
Hey I just completed level 1 engineering and had a great time this year. In a couple of days we are supposed to choose our program streams, however I'm still undecided. I've enjoyed pretty much all of the classes in first year so I wasn't really persuaded to any particular faculty. I also attended all of the info nights by the different faculties as well but that seemed to make things worse since they all sounded so interesting. Right now my top 3 choices are Elec, Chem and Mechanical in that order, but tommorow it could easily be something different. I believe I have a high enough average for any program so that isn't a concern. If anyone could give some advice on which stream would be best that would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2014 at 04:39 PM   #2
TheRealGeo

Liked: 1 Time

In all honesty, this is a decision that would be best made by yourself . I'll give you tips on how to decide though . I'm in first year Eng right now as well but I feel like these might help you:

1) What's your interests/hobbies? (Are you interested in buildings, infrastructure,roads( Civil))
Chem(Oil,fluid,etc)
Elec(Circuits,Power Engineering, HVAC systems)

2) What do you want to do in the future? (Automation Engineering? Electrical Engineer? Software Engineer?)
3) List the pros and cons of each section of Eng
4) Did you enjoy learning one course more than another?
5) D04 or C03? If im not mistaken, Mech has C03 components as well
ECE has Comp Eng classes, did you like D04? (More specific to like ECE, software,mechatronics , Mech)
6) Comfortable( Which are you most comfortable)

Lastly, look up on youtube, google search, and research each different type of Engineering.
Try to really make this day the day you really look into everything.

April 30th is the deadline so you still have two days! During these two days, It'd be best if you really think about what you want to do! Also, you can still bachelors in say, Elec, and then go into a masters for Aerospace or Biomedical. But, choose the major you are comfortably, want to be in, and feel like will benefit you the best!

A fellow ECE hopeful but with Society (fingers crossed)

Time for me to get some sleep after E03

MimeMime likes this.
Old 04-28-2014 at 10:45 PM   #3
mythbuster06

Liked: 1 Time

I would also consider the following:

-Look at the course listings for different streams. You may find that you would be more interested in certain courses and want to avoid others, thus narrowing down your options.

-Consider typical employment paths for the streams of your choosing and see if those have any impact on your decision. (Yes, engineers are employable beyond what is "typical" of their discipline, but it's still something to consider.)

-Does class size matter to you at all? Some people find they learn best in a more intimate environment. If that's the case, maybe a smaller program (materials, elec/biomed, eng phys, or mechatronics) could be an option.

Best of luck!

Last edited by mythbuster06 : 04-28-2014 at 10:54 PM.