MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
Planning and prerequisites for second year Angoose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 06-26-2010 03:39 PM
Second year science program macbaby07 Academics 1 06-03-2010 11:59 AM
Marks needed to get into a science co-op program in 3rd year? zakrata General Discussion 4 09-16-2009 05:34 PM
Prerequisites and Admissions - Life Science adam1993 General Discussion 4 03-11-2009 10:29 PM

Second Year Program Prerequisites (Science)

Old 12-16-2010 at 05:45 PM   #1
tatski-p

Liked: 35 Times

Second Year Program Prerequisites (Science)
Hola,

If the info on the side bar isn't enough clarification, I'm in first year life sci. I'm brainstorming what program I want to go into next year. One of the programs I'm most interested in requires Chem 1AA3 as a prereq, which I haven't taken next semester.

I know we're supposed to be applying for programs towards the end of next semester, but long story short, will I still be able to satisfy the chem prerequisite if I take it in the summer? Or do I have no other option except to take it next semester?
Old 12-16-2010 at 05:49 PM   #2
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

no i dont think u can because ur taking it in the summer, u cant get into ur 2nd year program unless u fufill all the requirements am i wrong?
Old 12-16-2010 at 05:51 PM   #3
Jenn

Liked: 5 Times

why not try to get into chem then if you're interested in the program?
i know someone who get their prereq over the summer, but i think you need to talk to the department
Old 12-16-2010 at 06:11 PM   #4
tatski-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
why not try to get into chem then if you're interested in the program?
i know someone who get their prereq over the summer, but i think you need to talk to the department
I had a few reasons, but didn't want to bore people with useless details in the original post. It's partially because I've taken up a couple volunteer positions outside of school, and along with a part time job, taking all 5 courses could put a blow to my marks. I tried fitting the a chem into my schedule for next semester but the available ones would have totally rearranged my schedule, which is good already. I figured, if I had the option to just take the chem in the summer without doing the extra work of rearranging my schedule and potentially fking up my marks, I'd just do that.

I'm probably just feeling sorry for myself. lol
Old 12-16-2010 at 08:13 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I don't think it putsyou at too much of an advantage because I know people who have gotten into programs for second year by taking Chem 1AA3 in the summer. It depends on how competitive the program is though. What programs are you looking into (you get 4 choices by the way)?
Old 12-16-2010 at 10:49 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I know people who have gotten into second-year science programs even though they were missing a prereq. They will give you a conditional acceptance, which means that you're allowed into the program if you complete the course in the summer prior to starting second year. I'm not sure if it puts you at a disadvantage in terms of competition for acceptance, though.
Old 12-16-2010 at 10:50 PM   #7
tatski-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I don't think it puts you at too much of an advantage because I know people who have gotten into programs for second year by taking Chem 1AA3 in the summer. It depends on how competitive the program is though. What programs are you looking into (you get 4 choices by the way)?
Either a double major in bio and psych, psych on its own, molecular biology & genetics, or biology (physiology specialization). I have no idea which one I want to go in for sure, so I'd like to keep my options open. I'm namely trying to find a balance between doing what I enjoy and what's more likely to help sure me a job post grad.

Molecular bio seems more practical, but from what I hear it's pretty competitive, is it not?
Old 12-17-2010 at 12:50 AM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatski-p View Post
Either a double major in bio and psych, psych on its own, molecular biology & genetics, or biology (physiology specialization). I have no idea which one I want to go in for sure, so I'd like to keep my options open. I'm namely trying to find a balance between doing what I enjoy and what's more likely to help sure me a job post grad.

Molecular bio seems more practical, but from what I hear it's pretty competitive, is it not?
Over time, and into second term, you'll figure out what you like more and such. I think that's pretty important too, since you need a general idea of what you want to do! But also, there's going to be tons of resources and people to talk to, I think there's an info session sometime in term 2, as well as all the people on here. There's someone on here in each of the 4 programs you mentioned, so maybe you can come up with a few questions to help narrow down your choices? But yes, keeping your options open, definitely and you don't have to pick anything for sure till the summer when you see the acceptances and such. Yeah, the balance is the most important part, but I would still say academics > volunteering for the most part! Honestly, with all of them you graduate with a BSc, so I think it's more about looking into the courses of each program and seeing which courses have components that are applicable to what you want to do after graduating (research,grad school,etc.) as well as the courses the interest you! Of the 4 programs you mentioned, only psych isn't as competitive (from what I heard from the average last year anyway). The other 3 have pretty high averages I would say. Maybe a 9-10ish (don't remember the exact averages :/) I don't think it's any higher than that though!