MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hon. B.A. in Psych 1st year courses thereaction First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 06-14-2010 10:13 PM
Psych 2nd and 3rd year courses Richa Academics 7 06-10-2010 09:16 AM
4th year psych courses nisha Academics 0 03-22-2010 10:17 PM
Second Year Psych Courses mgallant Academics 1 07-28-2008 04:37 PM
3rd year bio and psych courses to take dacrown4life Academics 0 06-18-2008 01:18 AM

Second Year Psych Courses...

Old 04-26-2011 at 11:03 PM   #1
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Second Year Psych Courses...
I've looked into the reviews and past threads, but can anyone chime in on any of the following courses? Which ones are easier, harder, more interesting, less work, etc:

Psych 2F03, 2N03, 2TT3, 3A03, 3F03, 3J03, 3S03, 3T03

I've only taken 2E03, if anyone wants to be super special awesome and compare courses.

They're on the Physio list, and I'm toying with the idea of changing my minor...

Last edited by britb : 04-26-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-26-2011 at 11:28 PM   #2
ytpos
too poor to change this

Liked: 15 Times

I've only taken 2F03 and 2TT3. If you get Dr Goldreich for 2F03 (I don't know who's teaching the courses anymore), he's an amazing professor. It feels like he knows everything and he's very approachable. I can't say which is more interesting because I'm kind of biased and just generally find psychology interesting. If you're not a big fan of neuroscience, then 2F03 will be pretty tedious. I think it goes into a lot of detail about stuff you learned in first year (the eye, etc), but I loved it.

When I took 2F03 with Goldreich, the work was divided into weekly assignments, two midterm (I think... might have been one), and the exam. The assignments you could work in groups up to 3 people if you wanted. They're really easy and I did better when I worked alone. He sets up a website that has a discussion forum, where you can talk about the assignment. He gives bonus marks to people who give good responses on the forum (like 1% toward your midterm). I think people found his exams hard, but they were fair. If you studied well, it was very straightforward, no tricks. I remember it being written, not multiple choice. I believe he did have like 5% (or 10%?) of the tests be out of the textbook readings. Take good notes in class!

2TT3... It was just two midterms and an exam, I think... I remember having to read the textbook because it was tested on. Dukas was a funny prof, at least in my opinion. I think it was a crammable course. Don't remember it well.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. My memory is foggy on a lot of this.

Old 04-26-2011 at 11:34 PM   #3
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

I would highly recommend taking PSYCH 2F03 if Goldreich is teaching the course, but I'm not too sure of how teaching assignments will be divided now that the psych department has introduced the PNB course code. Hell, I'm not even sure what courses I'm supposed to take now.

Last edited by Toast : 04-26-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2011 at 11:41 PM   #4
ytpos
too poor to change this

Liked: 15 Times

LOL you losers, stop stalking me!

Janonos says thanks to ytpos for this post.

Janonos likes this.
Old 04-27-2011 at 12:23 AM   #5
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Here's all the non-first year psych courses I've taken (excluding the stats courses because what would be the point of that?):

2AP3 - Very memory intensive, but definitely doable. The questions are very specific but they come from a quiz bank on the prof's website, so you can almost just memorize the answers. Good elective choice, as long as you can memorize.

2F03 - Interesting, but unfair testing. Don't take!

2H03 - Kind of boring at times, but not immensely difficult. I would maybe take this class as well.

2TT3 - Tests/exams get progressively easier, sort of boring at times, but interesting and easy enough to warrant taking.

3BB3 - You need both first-year linguistics courses to take this, I believe, so I don't know if this applies to you. The marking for the tests was quite strict, but I didn't find this to be a bad class at all. Lectures would consist of learning about a certain topic and going over relevant experiments and their findings, etc. There are definitely easier electives than this though!

Last edited by _Mike : 04-27-2011 at 12:31 AM.

britb likes this.
Old 04-27-2011 at 12:32 AM   #6
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

Be sure to note, that the Psych department has implemented a lot of changes for next year. Check out its section on the calendar. For instance, 2N03 and 2F03 no longer exist. They have been combined to form 2NF3.
Old 04-27-2011 at 12:56 AM   #7
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allana:) View Post
Be sure to note, that the Psych department has implemented a lot of changes for next year. Check out its section on the calendar. For instance, 2N03 and 2F03 no longer exist. They have been combined to form 2NF3.
:O Well that's a jerk move, both of those courses were on my list.
Old 04-27-2011 at 01:06 AM   #8
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
:O Well that's a jerk move, both of those courses were on my list.
I know!!! I had my heart set on 2N03. :(
Old 04-27-2011 at 10:45 AM   #9
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allana:) View Post
I know!!! I had my heart set on 2N03. :(
Me too! It was probably the one I was most interested in, but ORgo made it impossible last year. :C
Old 04-27-2011 at 12:58 PM   #10
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I actually did physiology and then minored in psych because there was so much overlap between requirements.

2F03 with Gold... was really interesting, but difficult.

2TT3 - fun, you get to watch animal videos throughout class.

Is 3j03 visual neuroscience? I can't remember, but if it's ullal it's an interesting course. But difficult ... most lowest mark in 4th year but i also didn't study for the exam :p

Old 04-27-2011 at 01:50 PM   #11
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
I actually did physiology and then minored in psych because there was so much overlap between requirements.

2F03 with Gold... was really interesting, but difficult.

2TT3 - fun, you get to watch animal videos throughout class.

Is 3j03 visual neuroscience? I can't remember, but if it's ullal it's an interesting course. But difficult ... most lowest mark in 4th year but i also didn't study for the exam :p
Yep, its Visual Neurosci. Is he the same as in his other courses, or worse? I ended up doing okay in 2E03, but I think that's about the content limit of mindless memorization I can take...
Old 04-27-2011 at 01:52 PM   #12
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Yep, its Visual Neurosci. Is he the same as in his other courses, or worse? I ended up doing okay in 2E03, but I think that's about the content limit of mindless memorization I can take...
I didn't find 2E03 bad. I just think there was a lot of material in 3J03. But he's so excited about the material that you can't help but enjoy it as well.