MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Secret Files (Part 1) Chad The Secret Files 24 07-31-2009 02:49 PM
The Secret Files Part Six: PC Financial Chad The Secret Files 2 09-21-2008 09:03 PM
The Secret Files Part 4 Chad The Secret Files 2 07-03-2008 12:31 AM
The Secret Files (Part 2) Chad The Secret Files 10 06-17-2008 12:21 AM
The Secret Files (Part 3) Chad The Secret Files 9 08-11-2007 10:47 AM

The Secret Files (Part 3)

Old 08-01-2007 at 09:55 AM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

The Secret Files (Part 3)
The Secret Files
Part 3: Academics
By Chad Fullerton

Rest.
Getting enough sleep can mean the difference between an A and a D on a test, quiz, midterm, or exam. Make sure to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep the night before a test. While asleep your brain makes sense of everything you've crammed into it the night before (yes, no need to kid yourself, cramming does happen). The details of how your brain works isn't important, all you need to remember is to get a good night sleep before that important test because it will make the difference.

Proof-reading = Better mark
When T.A.'s mark your papers/essays they have certain guidelines or a marking scheme to follow. Most of the time a section of that marking scheme will be grammer, spelling, and/or sentence flow. By proof reading your paper at least once before handing it in (best to do it before you print it out since whiteout never looks good) you will almost always find at least one spelling mistake that will make your paper better. Trust me, it sucks knowing that you lost most of your marks on silly grammar/spelling mistakes that you could have caught the night before and gotten a letter grade higher.

Study Groups
While study groups are a great way to do a quick review of material (ex: quizzing each other, asking questions you couldn't find answers to, etc), I strongly recommend that you review the textbook and notes before meeting a study group. Reading over the material/textbook/notes for the first time in a group will lead to disaster 99% of the time. So use your time wisely. If you have a reliable group of friends, help break down the level of effort by splitting up the chapters in the textbook and then compile your summary notes into one Word document and share it amongst the group. This will save you hours of time and help give you a base to start studying. Remember... making study notes actually helps you remember the information since you are studying as you make the notes.

Need help? Ask a librarian
You can email the librarians telling them about your essay topic and they can suggest books and other sub-topics for you to use.
(tip provided by Danielle Lorenz)

Get to know the library
Did you go on the library tours on Welcome Day? If not, you should have, but don't fear. Visit the new library wiki to learn more about the library. It is the place where you're going to be spending many days and nights researching for your papers/essays so be sure to know it inside and out and make the most of the e-resources! Visit the wiki at: http://libfye.wetpaint.com/. Also don't be afraid to contact Krista (username: KristaG), the amazing friendly librarian on MacInsiders who will help you out by answering your questions. Krista is also featured in one of our more recent CampusBuzz (video series) videos. Click videos at the top of the site and view our interview with her! There are also a dozen other MacInsider members who are librarians... so go and find them!

TA's are there to help. They mark your work!
TAs (teaching assistants) will be the people you go to most of the time to ask questions inside and outside of tutorial time. Note that TA's are the ones who mark your papers and assignments, so if you are unsure about the outline of a paper, or what is expected of you, go and ask your T.A. since they will know what they are expecting!

Prof's won't bite, no.. really.
Go and talk with your prof, get to know them, they are not as scary as you might think! All profs hold office hours for you to visit them, introduce yourself, and ask about any assignments or questions about lectures. If you get to know them well it will be very helpful in the future!

Eating = good
It sounds like common sense... but when you're at Mac your class schedule can be all over the place, leaving normal eating times of breakfast, lunch, and dinner to be forgotten or squeezed into different times to suit your schedule. Do not skip breakfast! Breakfast is a very important meal, helps give your body energy and nutrience to start the day off right. Coffee from Tim Hortons doesn't count!

Old 08-01-2007 at 12:34 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

why are you showing me this one? i'm confused. but i have a few additional tips:

you can add the link the librarian tip that KristaG gave us in the forum.

And, i think you can also/should also mention how you should talk to your ta's about expectations for essays/projects etc if you don't understand as they are the ones responsible for most of your mark.

aaaand to talk to your prof! cuz they're really not all that scary (with the exception of henry giroux. but that's just for me). and elaborate in some fashion.
Old 08-01-2007 at 11:17 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

yes, good points. I'm posting this here cause I cut it out of my Part 2 article just cause these didn't really fit... and I'll make it into one just on academics
Old 08-02-2007 at 05:51 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

i sort of had a feeling that was your plan.

and don't talk about henry giroux. he scares me. alot.
Old 08-04-2007 at 05:26 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

any other academic tips you or ron have that I can add?
Old 08-04-2007 at 11:20 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

just the stuff i mentioned in post #2

otherwise, make sure to eat well! skipping breakfast = bad; your brain needs food to work properly!