MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
The Secret Files (Part 1) Chad The Secret Files 24 07-31-2009 02:49 PM
The Secret Files Part Six: PC Financial Chad The Secret Files 2 09-21-2008 09:03 PM
The Secret Files Part 4 Chad The Secret Files 2 07-03-2008 12:31 AM
The Secret Files (Part 3) Chad The Secret Files 9 08-11-2007 10:47 AM
The Secret Files (Part 3) Chad General Discussion 5 08-04-2007 11:20 PM

The Secret Files (Part 2)

The Secret Files
Part 2: Student Life
By Chad Fullerton

With "The Secret Files Part One" article being such a huge success and getting the title of "third most viewed article", it's time for Part 2! This theme is a bit broader than the last article, but still has some great stuff. Enjoy!

5%-14% off all food purchases on campus
Ya, it's possible, but you need to start a meal plan on your student card. If you live off-campus, get the Freedom Plan which lets you put a minimum of $100 on your card and use it whenever you like. Or, if you're in residence or feeling extra hungry, go for a Term Plan which lets you save all the taxes (up to 14% off). Your card can be used to buy your meals on campus in most areas like the Student Centre and locations run by Hopitality Services. Read more about it here.

Free Text Messaging
Some students text message like crazy, and unless you're on an unlimited texting plan those messages can add up! McMaster has free wireless internet on campus, so if you're on a laptop while in class or eating lunch and you need to text a friend... do it for free online! Here are some of the sites to do free texting from the big providers: Rogers, Telus, or Bell.

File Sharing 101
Those living in Rez will be happy to know that there is a file sharing program you will become very familiar with known as DC++

Free Whiteboard (well... sort of)
If you get glad press and seal wrap and put it all over your walls you can use it to write equations and whatnot and not worry about damaging the walls. If you use a dry-erase marker it washes off and can be re-used.
(tip provided by Danielle Lorenz)

Free Protection
If you are in need of protection, the Student Health Education Centre (SHEC) located in MUSC provides free condoms. Of course they offer much more than that, and you can read about them here.

Free Walk Home
It might not sound so appealing now, but when it's late at night and there is nobody around to walk your home... Hamilton can get pretty freaky! No worries, the Student Walk-Home Attendant Team is there to help. To learn more about SWHAT, click here.

Free HSR Planning
If you need to plan out the route to Mac from your house, no fear! Use the HSR mapping system online which will help you out. Click here.

Free Anti-virus & Wireless Internet
As most of you know, McMaster offers free wireless internet in most locations of campus, but did you know that UTS (University Technology Services) provides free anti-virus software to all students, so don't go out and spend your life savings on Norton or McAfee! Read more about the free offer here.

Free Hamilton Spectator
On certain areas of campus you can grab a free copy of The Spec. Get there quick because they go fast! And no, I won't reveal the locations

Read the rest of the articles in this exclusive series:
The Secret Files (Part 1)
The Secret Files (Part 2)
The Secret Files (Part 3)
The Secret Files (Part 4)

MacEng, Tailsnake, WavesSea, xo.monica all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 07-31-2007 at 06:27 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 506 Times
you can also get free copies of the faculty publications at various locations on campus! KTH, the eng lounge, MDG, student centre to name a few places...
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-01-2007
nikhil
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-03-2007 at 10:12 AM   #3
nuttynatz
Faculty: Science
Year: First

Liked: 2 Times
lmao...i love the whiteboard tip
Old 08-03-2007 at 03:49 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,730 Times
yes, its pretty smart. I'd sure like to see someone trying it out with stuff written all over their walls

Old 08-03-2007 at 04:03 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies

Yes, it's bound to scare some RLS staff.
Old 08-10-2007 at 03:37 PM   #6
Amara
Program: Science
Residence: Wallingford

Liked: 0 Times
hey for the free anti virus,
can we install one on our home computer and laptop as well?
Old 08-10-2007
lorend
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-10-2007 at 08:20 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

You can install the antivirus on whatever you'd like! Simply download the program off of UTS and as a student you are granted permissions to use the software.
Old 08-31-2007 at 04:51 PM   #8
Jdyks
Program: Engineering (General)
Residence: Moulton

Hey Chad, i love the whiteboard idea and since i cant bring my own cus i cant hang it up, ill try it
ill let you know how it works and then doodle all over it so you can see
Old 09-09-2007 at 04:45 PM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdyks View Post
Hey Chad, i love the whiteboard idea and since i cant bring my own cus i cant hang it up, ill try it
ill let you know how it works and then doodle all over it so you can see
ooo excellent Jdyks!

Be sure to write something about MacInsiders on it, and then take a photo and attach it to your reply here (click the "New Reply" button at the bottom, type a message, then click the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS button, browse and upload your photo). Then we can all see your whiteboard in action
Old 09-10-2007 at 06:52 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

C'mon Joel!

Let us seeee!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-17-2008 at 12:21 AM   #11
0n3.
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: Prospective Student

Free Protection
If you are in need of protection, the Student Health Education Centre (SHEC) located in MUSC provides free condoms. Of course they offer much more than that

HAHAHA. Sorry I had to bring that up.

Article Tools