Birthday Ideas lizziepizzie General Discussion 19 04-12-2012 08:23 PM
Birthday Ideas Ish001 General Discussion 11 12-04-2010 02:52 PM

Selling old car any ideas?

Old 08-04-2012 at 12:56 AM   #1
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Selling old car any ideas?
Im looking to sell my old car, not entirely sure what the procedure is.

Should i go back to the original dealer and ask them to buy it, or go to uncle Joe's down the street or sell it privately via Kijiji? Which other means would gimme the most money back?

The car is in pretty good shape. No accidents at all.

Thank in advance.

Jon
**note, i am not try to sell my car via macinsiders. Just wanna get some advice on how to get it off my hands**

Last edited by jon.john23 : 08-04-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-04-2012 at 02:10 AM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I haven't personally sold a car myself, but for a while I was looking into selling mine (still not sure if it's worth it), and this is basically what I learned:

What you should do first is clean it up as much as possible. If there are any rust spots, sand them down, get colour matched paint and paint over them. Clean any stains and other crap out of the car - make it look as good as possible.

If you can, try and get a hold of a diagnostics computer (you can get them off ebay ~$100 or just borrow from a friend if you happen to be friends with any mechanics). Some mechanics will even do a diagnostic for free. This is just make sure there isn't anything wrong with the inner-workings of the the car that you may not know about (misfiring cylinders. etc).

After you've cleaned up the car as much as possible and are sure it isn't majorly screwed up internally in anyway... I would recommend trying Kijiji first. If you sell back to a dealer, they're going to be turning it around for profit as soon as possible - which means they're going to try and get it from you for as little as possible. If you instead go to something like Kijiji, you're selling to the customer directly which means they pay less than what they'd pay to a dealer and you get more than what the dealer would give you (same principle as with selling textbooks to other students instead of the book store).

I'm not really much of a car guy, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the topic will be able to fill in more of the details here. I'm pretty sure that's the basics though.

jon.john23 says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 08-04-2012 at 07:57 AM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...cle/used.shtml
Old 08-04-2012 at 09:51 AM   #4
jon.john23
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I haven't personally sold a car myself, but for a while I was looking into selling mine (still not sure if it's worth it), and this is basically what I learned:

What you should do first is clean it up as much as possible. If there are any rust spots, sand them down, get colour matched paint and paint over them. Clean any stains and other crap out of the car - make it look as good as possible.

If you can, try and get a hold of a diagnostics computer (you can get them off ebay ~$100 or just borrow from a friend if you happen to be friends with any mechanics). Some mechanics will even do a diagnostic for free. This is just make sure there isn't anything wrong with the inner-workings of the the car that you may not know about (misfiring cylinders. etc).

After you've cleaned up the car as much as possible and are sure it isn't majorly screwed up internally in anyway... I would recommend trying Kijiji first. If you sell back to a dealer, they're going to be turning it around for profit as soon as possible - which means they're going to try and get it from you for as little as possible. If you instead go to something like Kijiji, you're selling to the customer directly which means they pay less than what they'd pay to a dealer and you get more than what the dealer would give you (same principle as with selling textbooks to other students instead of the book store).

I'm not really much of a car guy, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the topic will be able to fill in more of the details here. I'm pretty sure that's the basics though.
Not much of a car guy my self.

Thanx alot Ownaginatios that was really informative. Kijiji it s!
Old 08-07-2012 at 04:05 PM   #5
MacDaddy

Liked: 5 Times

Pretty obvious that a private sale would get you the most cash. If you're looking to buy a new car however, take it to the dealer (even better if you know them) and trade it in. That way you would get a better deal over just straight up selling it to a dealer.
Old 08-15-2012 at 05:43 PM   #6
PAJake

Liked: 0 Times

Sell it privately. It isn't as hard as it seems. Clean the car, take some good pictures, place an ad on kijiji, autotrader, etc., etc. Make sure you are honest and up-front and ask an appropriate price. Good luck! :-)
Old 08-30-2012
illmatic011
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-13-2012 at 11:05 AM   #7
pt376

Liked: 0 Times

Im looking for a car, just curious, what car are you selling?
Old 09-13-2012 at 12:03 PM   #8
jon.john23
Elite Member

Mercedes Benz B200
AT
Silver