Old 07-18-2009 at 02:16 AM   #30
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics
Year: Alumni

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
I think it's misleading to say that because a prof has taught you one proof that you can't possibly think a different way (but of course, every person is different).
Absolutely, but that's not quite what I said...infact, I don't even think that's true (often times it takes the insight provided by one proof, to address the question in a different way). I think what allows one to come up with a unique proof is infact, the 'building blocks' one is given. What courses have they taken? Suppose I can prove a given theorem with Geometry, or Set Theory...if I took a course in both, maybe I can come up with both proofs (and that is not to say they're an exhaustive list).

What I was actually saying was, when you have a page long proof staring you in the face, which is missing details on top of it all, you're likely to just be lazy and not think it through as you should. (Infact, whenever I speak with someone from one of my courses about a particular proof, there is almost always something I've missed, and something else they've missed, from any given proof). You get the 'big picture' but when you go to reproduce the proof on say, an exam, you get stuck on the finer points.

When a professor is up there droning on about it, you will sometimes be mislead into believing you fully understand the proof, because you've seen the larger steps required (but have to fill in the finer details). You then will not fill in the details unless you consciously try to think through the proof yourself, and realize 'wait a minute, I don't get this.'

Well when you don't go to class, you don't think you know the proof, because you've never seen it before...and so 100% of the time, you realize you don't get it. Then you teach yourself and take a closer look at the proof.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-18-2009 at 10:01 PM   #31
Joseph
Program: Health Sciences
Year: First

Liked: 132 Times
Wow, awesome article! Great work Feona!

I’m a huge procrastinator myself. In high school, I always left things to the last minute. It’s a terrible habit. I may have got through high school procrastinating, but I know it won’t do me any good in university. This is why I plan on never leaving things to the last minute anymore.

Thanks for the tips!
-Joseph

feonateresa likes this.
Old 07-19-2009 at 01:52 AM   #32
mumbojumbo
Program: Genetics Engineering
Year: Second

Liked: 10 Times
When I was an entering first year, I read all the articles/books about University success (yes i was a keener). I understood what I was going to face in university. But knowing them is not the whole story. Experiencing it is another. I had a shaky start in my First year even though I knew all the dangers. But sometimes, common sense isn't enough. It's all about study habits and commitment. Actually doing and apply the skills will be harder than you thought. My only advice for first years is to experience it. Make mistakes. Learn from them and never give up.

Old 07-19-2009 at 07:25 PM   #33
salimak
Program: Biology
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 21 Times
So I didn't read anything about how to suceed in first year, this is my experience

1. Organization: Especially for commuter students, have a clear file folder (with tabs-thin and comes with 4 subjects at titles) so you can slip in the notes for each day in each section. When you get home, put it in the allotted single binder.

2. Release your inner keener: I can't express how important getting an early start is. The first day of class is the same as any other, crack open that text book and read up, try some question! This helped me so much, especially in chem, wrt last minute studying, because you already know and have practiced the info in time to get help with it and understand it in class. On that note, reading before class is a challenge wrt time but is so worth it, especially for harder topics.

goodnews.inc says thanks to salimak for this post.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 07-19-2009 at 08:25 PM   #34
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member
Program: Materials Engineering and Society, minor in French

Liked: 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:callen:. View Post
Excellent article! I really hope all incoming first years take this advice to heart!

If anyone is looking for more in depth help on note taking, essay writing, or studying/test taking tips, there's a book I highly recommend called 'The Professors Guide to Getting Good Grades in College'.

This book helped me do really well in first year, especially with learning good note taking. In the vast majority of cases, first years have to learn on the spot how to take lecture notes since you don't really have to do it in high school.

From my humanities/social sciences background, I would say you're especially screwed if you don't have good notes!
I actually had a teacher in high school who said that she wouldn't write her notes on the board because she knew that when we got into university most of the profs wouldn't write everything down for us. So I kinda had to learn good note taking in high school, I hated it at the time but now I'm glad that she had done that for us.

Old 07-20-2009 at 07:30 AM   #35
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User
Year: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
... If you can't do early classes (which was never an issue in high school but was suddenly a burden in univ) ..
I always find this so funny - and I even do it myself. No one ever cared about early classes in highschool, but I guess because we now have the choice of class or sleeping in, we suddenly can't do 8:30 mornings.
Old 07-20-2009 at 08:53 AM   #36
goldfish101
Program: Nuclear Power
Year: Fifth

Liked: 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
3. Always be 20 minutes early for EVERYTHING. This has saved me many times, from many things. On a test, I'd use those 20 minutes to review all the information with my classmates and make sure I studied everything. If I missed something, this is the time for some quick review

20 minutes before cores or tutorials?
LOL are tests, quizes and etc. done in tutorials?
Old 07-20-2009 at 09:26 AM   #37
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish101 View Post
20 minutes before cores or tutorials?
That's often not possible, especially for students in science or engineering when we have lectures, tutorials and labs on top of those. The minimum amount of time you will have between classes is 10 minutes.

Quizzes + Midterms

Midterms are usually a "big" event in the sense that they are scheduled often by the time the class starts in september or january. Larger classes will write midterms in-lecture or they will be scheduled for after class in the evening, or even on a saturday.

Other things like quizzes can pretty much be handled however the professor wants to handle them... they can be in-lecture, or during tutorial, or often they are online.
Old 07-20-2009 at 11:46 AM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
That's often not possible, especially for students in science or engineering when we have lectures, tutorials and labs on top of those. The minimum amount of time you will have between classes is 10 minutes.
That is true, but if you can be 15 minutes early do so. Because the previous class leaves 10 minutes before the hour so you can get in before people that have class before get there. Hence better seats.
Old 07-20-2009 at 02:23 PM   #39
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language
Year: Fourth

Liked: 196 Times
I hate it when I get to an exam at IWC right on time or late. There's like, hundreds of eyes staring at you when you enter the room. Yeah... really takes the edge off @[email protected]
Old 07-20-2009 at 03:05 PM   #40
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I hate it when I get to an exam at IWC right on time or late. There's like, hundreds of eyes staring at you when you enter the room. Yeah... really takes the edge off @[email protected]
I've never had that problem. I usually go 30-45 minutes early and just sit down on the floor with my MP3, relaxing.
Old 07-20-2009 at 03:15 PM   #41
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language
Year: Fourth

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I've never had that problem. I usually go 30-45 minutes early and just sit down on the floor with my MP3, relaxing.
So do I usually. This exam I had last year, I thought it was at 7:30 when it was actually 7:00. Oh mann. I had to take a taxi and race to school and barely got in on time. So badd. ;_; (My clothes were disheleved and my hair in shambles, but in the end I aced it so it was okay. )

Always check and record your exam times and locations, if you go in after a certain time, they don't let you in - and if they do, you don't get extra time.
Old 07-21-2009 at 01:19 AM   #42
Jake
Program: Commerce
Year: First

Liked: 107 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Wow, awesome article! Great work Feona!

I’m a huge procrastinator myself. In high school, I always left things to the last minute. It’s a terrible habit. I may have got through high school procrastinating, but I know it won’t do me any good in university. This is why I plan on never leaving things to the last minute anymore.

Thanks for the tips!
-Joseph
Wow Joseph, you must be very very very smart if you procrastinated in high school and got into Health Science.
I had to work my butt off to get into Commerce.
Old 07-21-2009 at 07:42 AM   #43
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
I do this too. I think it's a good idea to have some time to relax before your exam. It's not good to rush in last minute and be all worked up and stressed before you sit down and write.
Old 07-21-2009 at 10:48 AM   #44
Fight0
Elite Member
Program: MD

Liked: 141 Times
Quote:
That's intense, I usually show up to class 10 minutes late

Article Tools