MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BREAKING NEWS: Shooting in the Toronto Eaton Centre Chad MacInsiders Announcements 13 06-04-2012 12:21 PM
Another Virginia Tech Shooting DragonBorn General Discussion 4 12-08-2011 09:18 PM
Another Shooting At Virginia Tech Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-08-2011 07:26 PM
Shooting Range? ninjamachete General Discussion 2 06-26-2011 02:01 PM

Shooting at Colorado Theatre (14 dead)

Old 07-24-2012 at 12:59 PM   #91
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Firearm enthusiasts will have the last laugh when the zombie apocalypse happens and all Canadians have to defend themselves is their politeness, kitchenware, and paintball guns.
Old 07-24-2012 at 01:06 PM   #92
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
"The problem is the guns." - this is a childish viewpoint. So you're telling me without a gun he could not have done any of this? He could have found someone sleeping, and stabbed them in the eye with a pair of scissors. Or used a utility knife. Or a baseball bat when he found someone alone in the park. What about making a home-made explosive device? (which is fairly easy to do). The only difference is that he could not have killed so many people so quickly, but anyone can kill someone else using anything. Should we ban regular household products, including sports items, utility knives, and scissors?
That makes all the difference, actually.

Quote:
If guns were 'outlawed' all it means is that no one would have them except the criminals/mentally disturbed people that individuals are trying to protect themselves from.
Some criminals would still be able to obtain guns, yes. But several wouldn't. Nor would mentally disturbed people.

Quote:
Instead of focusing on how guns are easily obtainable why not focus on why this guy wasn't able to get proper mental health support when he (presumably) needed it?
This guy showed no outward signs of planning this crime. Do you think he should have received involuntary mental health support just because he was a loner?
Old 07-24-2012 at 01:13 PM   #93
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post

Why would it be easier for mentally disturbed people to buy outlawed guns?

This guy showed no outward signs of planning this crime. Do you think he should have received involuntary mental health support just because he was a loner?
Quote:
OK, so you can create a homemade explosive, or act as a suicide bomber, and do more damage than you could with a firearm. My point is just that guns aren't the worst thing in the world, and that no guns means everyone will be holding hands and being happy is just not true.

Quote:
Why would it be easier for mentally disturbed people to buy outlawed guns?
Guns will be sold no matter what. If guns became illegal, no regular law-abiding citizen would buy them. But there would still be people selling guns on the 'black market' so to speak. A place where you don't need a licence. It is here that people planning to commit a crime can still obtain a firearm. So it's not that mentally disturbed people can more easily acquire guns. It's that they would still be able to, because they are the ones who are doing things illegally to acquire that weapon.

Quote:
Of course, getting people help will not 'prevent' all crimes because life is spontaneous and things like this cannot always be predicted in advance. However, I suppose if there were no stigma against mental illness and help was more readily accessible, it would be more likely that he tried seeking help for his (whatever problems he may have had). I'm not sure what problems he had, there seems to be a lot of speculation about his motives like whether he was a loner or depressed or PTSD, so I won't bother talking about what illnesses he may have had. I'll just note that it is possible he had something that could have been somewhat ameliorated by therapy.
Old 07-24-2012 at 01:14 PM   #94
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Firearm enthusiasts will have the last laugh when the zombie apocalypse happens and all Canadians have to defend themselves is their politeness, kitchenware, and paintball guns.
Haha just gave me an idea for a great thread. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012 at 01:23 PM   #95
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
OK, so you can create a homemade explosive, or act as a suicide bomber, and do more damage than you could with a firearm. My point is just that guns aren't the worst thing in the world, and that no guns means everyone will be holding hands and being happy is just not true.
Most people who commit crimes with guns wouldn't bother to create homemade explosives or become suicide bombers if they didn't have guns. Point is, shooting someone with a gun is by far the easiest way to kill someone.
Old 07-24-2012 at 01:29 PM   #96
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Most people who commit crimes with guns wouldn't bother to create homemade explosives or become suicide bombers if they didn't have guns. Point is, shooting someone with a gun is by far the easiest way to kill someone.
Hey man, if that's how you feel, then by all means feel free to advocate for making guns illegal, and best of luck.

However, for me personally, I think that someone unstable enough to shoot children in the face would NOT say:

"Oh, damn, I can't buy a gun, I guess I'll just sit at home and watch the Golden Girls today."

In other words, if James Holmes was unable to get access to a gun, I really don't think he would have taken his Metamucil pill and played Angry Birds. He was going to kill people no matter what. If not a gun, then some other way.

Chris23 likes this.
Old 07-24-2012 at 01:29 PM   #97
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Once again as i said, if you murder a person, sure you can feel guilt for it. But this guy went in and shot someone dead, he did not stop, he continued walking the aisles shooting lead into countless defenceless people. He has been reported as showing no remorse, spitting at the guards in his isolated cell. This man has no remorse for what he has done.
To be honest, i dont really care if you show remorse if youre a murderer, remorse wont bring back a murdered victim, nothing can be done to put those families back together as a whole. Thats one thing I think the americans have right. If you take a life, why should you get to still live your own, even if it is in prison.
once again as i said thats what i got out of your post. you seemed to have made a generalization that all murderers dont feel guilty afterwards. you didnt seem to be speaking of just this one incident. i already said all this anyways.
Old 07-25-2012 at 08:30 AM   #98
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Man attempting another ‘Batman massacre’ arrested
Old 07-25-2012 at 08:58 AM   #99
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzy View Post
Man attempting another ‘Batman massacre’ arrested
Please cite your source.

Edit: Found it - US cops catch attempted ‘Batman’ mass-murder copycat with massive arsenal

Last edited by Alexmahone : 07-25-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-25-2012 at 11:32 AM   #100
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:

Thanks I found it elsewhere too thought I attached it.
Old 07-25-2012 at 11:35 AM   #101
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

From reading articles about the copy cat online, there is no proof that it actually happened. yes the guy was caught speeding on the highway with a machine gun to kill his boss in NY, but all they have to go on in relation to the Dark Knight Rises movie is that he claims he went to the movie with a rifle. Could just be a pathetic lowlife trying to get his name in the media.
Old 07-25-2012 at 12:23 PM   #102
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Did you read the part where a guy in another movie theatre said "I should've brought a gun" or something because the movie didnt start ontime and he was frustrated. ARRESTED. You idiot.

And some model on twitter said "The Dark night rises - I heard its really to die for! Too soon?" and got called insensitive and disrepectful and then she tried to defend herself saying she has the right to have an opinion. also, idiot.
Old 07-25-2012 at 09:46 PM   #103
Afsha-noon

Liked: 11 Times

That's a really scary thought - haven't even considered that. He was so smart.. must have had an excellent GPA. Hm
Old 07-25-2012 at 09:55 PM   #104
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afsha-noon View Post
That's a really scary thought - haven't even considered that. He was so smart.. must have had an excellent GPA. Hm
What are you talking about?