MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BREAKING NEWS: Shooting in the Toronto Eaton Centre Chad MacInsiders Announcements 13 06-04-2012 12:21 PM
Another Virginia Tech Shooting DragonBorn General Discussion 4 12-08-2011 09:18 PM
Another Shooting At Virginia Tech Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-08-2011 07:26 PM
Shooting Range? ninjamachete General Discussion 2 06-26-2011 02:01 PM

Shooting at Colorado Theatre (14 dead)

Old 07-23-2012 at 10:13 AM   #46
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
He lit up an entire theatre of people, children included. And killed or harmed 50 people. What does it matter what his motive is? I dont care if your bullied in life or if youve had a hard life, the ends does not justify the means. If you want to blame society for this shooting, I think society will have a bone to pick with you
I would disagree, an individual's society is an integral part of their upbringing. And there's a big difference between an insane psychopath and a war veteran with PTSD, but in either case society can and should do their best to treat the two. Also, "the ends doesn't justify the means" doesn't really make sense in this situation. If anything, it'd be "the means doesn't justify the ends", but even then it's not entirely accurate.
Old 07-23-2012 at 10:45 AM   #47
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
I would disagree, an individual's society is an integral part of their upbringing. And there's a big difference between an insane psychopath and a war veteran with PTSD, but in either case society can and should do their best to treat the two. Also, "the ends doesn't justify the means" doesn't really make sense in this situation. If anything, it'd be "the means doesn't justify the ends", but even then it's not entirely accurate.
Oh i wasnt trying to say that society doesnt take an effect on people's upbringing, but what I am saying is that there are people who have it hard in life in their respective societies as children and teenagers, but it is up to them whether they let those experiences break them, or choose to rise above them and use their experiences to help others.
Old 07-23-2012 at 10:54 AM   #48
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
He lit up an entire theatre of people, children included. And killed or harmed 50 people. What does it matter what his motive is? I dont care if your bullied in life or if youve had a hard life, the ends does not justify the means. If you want to blame society for this shooting, I think society will have a bone to pick with you
It absolutely does matter what the motive was. Its this sort of mentality (very prevalent in the states) that goes more towards treating the effects, rather than the cause of societal problems.. we're living in bizarre and increasingly desensitized/despondent world that stops regarding the individual at all, and its only getting worse; when people do good, they're largely unnoticed, and when they do horrendous things, everyone is so quick to drop the guillotine and place all the blame on one cause.

Are the people who were in the theatre partly to blame? Probably not. Is the larger area/community where he grew up? Probably a lot more so. I'm not really talking about this incident in particular, I just mean the trend for how people treat these issues.
Old 07-23-2012 at 11:00 AM   #49
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Oh i wasnt trying to say that society doesnt take an effect on people's upbringing, but what I am saying is that there are people who have it hard in life in their respective societies as children and teenagers, but it is up to them whether they let those experiences break them, or choose to rise above them and use their experiences to help others.
But that's extremely circumstantial. I don't think you can just generalize to "those who 'let their experiences break them' are bad and those who 'rise above the experiences' are good". Sure the individual is to blame, but in many cases it's also society's fault for not stepping in soon enough.
Old 07-23-2012 at 11:22 AM   #50
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Just to play devil's advocate, there are plenty of people with painful upbringings and shitty lives that don't grow up and shoot up a theatre full of people. Society has a responsibility, sure, but society sure ignores responsibility for that single mother, those kids who resort to a life of smoking weed all day, and all the other people who really need societal intervention. Nobody really discusses how society is responsible for them, by failing them through limited access to education, healthy social programs and violence free neighbourhoods with as much conviction.

At some point in time, personal responsibility comes into play.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-23-2012 at 11:25 AM   #51
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
It absolutely does matter what the motive was. Its this sort of mentality (very prevalent in the states) that goes more towards treating the effects, rather than the cause of societal problems.. we're living in bizarre and increasingly desensitized/despondent world that stops regarding the individual at all, and its only getting worse; when people do good, they're largely unnoticed, and when they do horrendous things, everyone is so quick to drop the guillotine and place all the blame on one cause.

Are the people who were in the theatre partly to blame? Probably not. Is the larger area/community where he grew up? Probably a lot more so. I'm not really talking about this incident in particular, I just mean the trend for how people treat these issues.
The US has 300 million people, so there will be at least a million nutjobs at any time. It's not possible for society to treat all these people. The problem is the guns.
Old 07-23-2012 at 11:28 AM   #52
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelve Chars View Post
Just because you can see it on facebook doesn't mean we can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...pe=1&theate r

seems to hold a lot of truth especially in america.

was this the pic you were trying to share?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...pe=3&th eater

https://www.facebook.com/Wachubbleisdis 13th row 2nd pic over on this fb page if you cant see it
Old 07-23-2012 at 12:27 PM   #53
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
The US has 300 million people, so there will be at least a million nutjobs at any time. It's not possible for society to treat all these people. The problem is the guns.
Well if countless restaurant franchises can service upwards to 50 million people, I don't think addressing potential explosively ridiculous people is that big of a deal; the problem is there isn't an immediate noticeable beneficial advantage to 'being nice to people' or 'helping the downtrodden'.

Of those 'a million' there's countless swarms of overlapping social circles, essentially 299 million people of support, but the trend in society, as I spoke about before, is going away from the 'be kind to your neighbour' kind of dealio.

This has gotten too abstract for my tastes, a bit off topic.
Old 07-23-2012 at 12:56 PM   #54
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
This has gotten too abstract for my tastes, a bit off topic.
Better call Chad!

RyanC likes this.
Old 07-23-2012 at 01:11 PM   #55
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Someone explain to me why he is still listed as a suspect
http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/colo-pro...nalty-1.889229

They arrested him on scene, found his apartment with bombs and other devices, found the weapons, found the rounds used.....and yet he is still a suspect.

I am confused
Old 07-23-2012 at 01:25 PM   #56
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
It his human nature to defend yourself. And as long as potential oppositions are bettering their technology, there will always be the need for us to develop weapons to combat opposing threats. It started probably with cavemen hitting each other with sticks, then one grabbed a rock, then a bigger rock, etc. I know this isnt a great analogy but still it gets the point across. And you can never get guns off the streets, as underground crime will always find connections to get weapons on the streets to buyers. Humanity has made its bed this way, now we have to lie in it.
Old 07-23-2012 at 01:28 PM   #57
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzy View Post
Someone explain to me why he is still listed as a suspect
http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/colo-pro...nalty-1.889229

They arrested him on scene, found his apartment with bombs and other devices, found the weapons, found the rounds used.....and yet he is still a suspect.

I am confused
He will be referred to as a 'suspect' until proven guilty at his trial. He may not be guilty by reason of insanity, for instance.
Old 07-23-2012 at 01:34 PM   #58
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Also which article says that he might have PTSD? I keep reading but I haven't come across that yet
Old 07-23-2012 at 01:46 PM   #59
Chris23
Account Locked

Yeah i have not seen any posts about him suffering from PTSD, if someone could post the article it would be appreciated
Old 07-23-2012 at 02:37 PM   #60
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Yeah i have not seen any posts about him suffering from PTSD, if someone could post the article it would be appreciated
I read it somewhere really early on when this happened but it seems that it's not the case because I'm sure they would have expanded on that more.