MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BREAKING NEWS: Shooting in the Toronto Eaton Centre Chad MacInsiders Announcements 13 06-04-2012 12:21 PM
Another Virginia Tech Shooting DragonBorn General Discussion 4 12-08-2011 09:18 PM
Another Shooting At Virginia Tech Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-08-2011 07:26 PM
Shooting Range? ninjamachete General Discussion 2 06-26-2011 02:01 PM

Shooting at Colorado Theatre (14 dead)

Old 07-20-2012 at 12:00 PM   #16
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggggg View Post
A"medical school dropout".... How did people like that get through into medical school. Imagine him as a doctor!
The sad thing is he probably couldve have been a doctor, or an astronaught or a teacher or whatever the hell he wanted! He coudlve had a future.
If it turns out this is some stupid pent-up high school rage, like he was bullied or some shit, im gona flip. High school sucks for everyone, but thats not real life.

lifesciman1 likes this.
Old 07-20-2012 at 12:18 PM   #17
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
The sad thing is he probably couldve have been a doctor, or an astronaught or a teacher or whatever the hell he wanted! He coudlve had a future.
If it turns out this is some stupid pent-up high school rage, like he was bullied or some shit, im gona flip. High school sucks for everyone, but thats not real life.
Many news reports are saying he is a war vet with PTSD
Old 07-20-2012 at 12:21 PM   #18
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post
here is the killer: James Holmes.

RIP to the lost ones
Just wondering, why did you feel the need to post a picture of the killer? Not that I really have a problem you doing so in this context, but I do hate the glorification of the entire case, every time such a thing occurs. The way everybody now seems to gobble down every unnecessary detail, and encouraging news broadcasts to do what they usually love to do. This seems to explain my feelings on the matter:

Eternal Fire, Mepper like this.
Old 07-20-2012 at 12:22 PM   #19
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

This sort of happened in that movie "God Bless America". Brings up the debate about whether movies/video games are having a influence on these people.

Afsha-noon likes this.
Old 07-20-2012 at 12:24 PM   #20
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
This sort of happened in that movie "God Bless America". Brings up the debate about whether movies/video games are having a influence on these people.
Oh god not this shit again. Apparently we didn't have enough of this at Columbine and Oslo.

Last edited by Yogurt : 07-20-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2012 at 12:27 PM   #21
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

A lot of blind speculation in this thread. Maybe stick to the facts, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolidunno View Post
anyone here seen God Bless America?
Anyways this is just a theory but maybe this guy got mad after some *******s kept talking during the feature while others didn't turn off their cellphones.
No this was meticulously premeditated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
crazy genius, happens more often tha at you'd think-really smart guy, but mental problems
The concept of a "crazy genius" is a stereotype for people with mental illness and does nothing to illuminate the reality of their situations. Just because he was PhD candidate doesn't mean he was a genius, if he wasn't, it doesnt mean he was an idiot.

Quote:
He's 24, why is high school the first thing you jump to? Projecting much? Nobody knows right now what his motives were, we just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
He's 24, and I hope he doesnt see many more days. Its cases like this that make me wish Canada had the Death Penalty. No amount of years in prison can balance the taking of 12 lives. (It has been confirmed 12 died) I will be disgusted by the greedy defence attorney willing to take on this sick ******* as their client.
And killing him can balance the taking of 12 lives? I don't want this to devolve into a debate on the death penalty, but let me just say that whatever happens to this man now has nothing to do with bringing balance or justice to the world. And lol at the random attack on whatever "greedy defence attorney" who will be his lawyer. Everyone has the right to proper legal defense, this "sick *******" included. No defense lawyer is gonna try to paint this guy as a nice dude. In a case like this their only path is to plead insanity, and since so many of you are immediately willing to call him "crazy" knowing almost nothing about him, then maybe that's a pretty strong case.

andrewjdg, jamescw1234, shizz like this.
Old 07-20-2012 at 12:30 PM   #22
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
A"medical school dropout".... How did people like that get through into medical school. Imagine him as a doctor!
Eh, don't presume to know what made him do what he did or pass judgement. People are made to be what they are through a series of small interactions, most of which, ordinary people are responsible for.. people tend to place the blame on the individual carrying out the crime, but society is completely ignored for some reason. Certainly there's mental illness and just bad apples, but ugh... I really want to know what this guy's motive was.
Old 07-20-2012 at 12:31 PM   #23
Twelve Chars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
Nooooooo this does not bring up the debate about whether movies and video games are having an influence on these people. There is no need to bring up that debate. Bowling for Columbine anyone?
Old 07-20-2012 at 12:41 PM   #24
Twelve Chars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Eh, don't presume to know what made him do what he did or pass judgement. People are made to be what they are through a series of small interactions, most of which, ordinary people are responsible for.. people tend to place the blame on the individual carrying out the crime, but society is completely ignored for some reason. Certainly there's mental illness and just bad apples, but ugh... I really want to know what this guy's motive was.
As a student of cultural studies and social theory, it's tempting to deindividualize the guy and talk about the bankruptcy of American society, how violence permeates through our society, and all that fun jazz, but stay real and realize that this was absolutely an individual crime carried out by an individual. It's a slippery slope to deemphasize the suspect at the center of this, suddenly it becomes the fault of every single person who has had a small interaction with him, the media, the news, video games, etc.

Remember that we all are under the same societal pressures that people like this guy are, so is it a miracle that we're not all committing horrific acts of violence? Is it a wonder then that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often, or is it a tragedy that it happens as often as it does? Can it be both?
Old 07-20-2012 at 12:43 PM   #25
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt93 View Post
Many news reports are saying he is a war vet with PTSD
That seems to make more sense. The whole incident is way too extreme for the guy to have not been out of his mind. It's unfortunate that he didn't seek nor was given enough help to deal with whatever his issues were.

I think rather than focusing on stuff like "omfg this guy should get the death penalty hurrr", we should be more concerned that a guy with some serious problems was able to somehow acquire multiple guns and tear gas canisters.
Old 07-20-2012 at 01:28 PM   #26
Twelve Chars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
That seems to make more sense. The whole incident is way too extreme for the guy to have not been out of his mind. It's unfortunate that he didn't seek nor was given enough help to deal with whatever his issues were.

I think rather than focusing on stuff like "omfg this guy should get the death penalty hurrr", we should be more concerned that a guy with some serious problems was able to somehow acquire multiple guns and tear gas canisters.
You don't need a psych evaluation to buy a gun in America (or Canada for that matter), and you can make tear gas at home. Good luck bringing up gun control to any listening American though, second amendment y'all.
Old 07-20-2012 at 02:43 PM   #27
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelve Chars View Post
He's 24, why is high school the first thing you jump to? Projecting much? Nobody knows right now what his motives were, we just have to wait and see.

I didnt say "It was probably high school" I said "if", and I said it cause everyone was talking about Bowling for Columbine, which had high school issues in it.

Attack me much?
Old 07-20-2012 at 03:51 PM   #28
Twelve Chars

Quote:
I didnt say "It was probably high school" I said "if", and I said it cause everyone was talking about Bowling for Columbine, which had high school issues in it.

Attack me much?
Yeah, Bowling for Columbine had high school issues in it. Specifically, the shooting was at a high school. This shooting was at a movie theatre. So wouldn't it be more reasonable to assume that the shooter really hates the movie industry or Batman or Christopher Nolan rather than think he was bullied in high school?
Old 07-20-2012 at 05:42 PM   #29
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
A"medical school dropout".... How did people like that get through into medical school.
Uh, he got the grades, the volunteer hours, the extracurriculars, and did well in the interview? Like anyone else would get into medical school?

jamescw1234 likes this.
Old 07-20-2012 at 05:44 PM   #30
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Apparently this movie is shadowing what took place starting at 1:59 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGK0ysEPHxI

They may be removing this movie or the scene.