MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BREAKING NEWS: Shooting in the Toronto Eaton Centre Chad MacInsiders Announcements 13 06-04-2012 12:21 PM
Another Virginia Tech Shooting DragonBorn General Discussion 4 12-08-2011 09:18 PM
Another Shooting At Virginia Tech Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-08-2011 07:26 PM
Shooting Range? ninjamachete General Discussion 2 06-26-2011 02:01 PM

Shooting at Colorado Theatre (14 dead)

Old 07-20-2012 at 05:50 PM   #31
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Uh, he got the grades, the volunteer hours, the extracurriculars, and did well in the interview? Like anyone else would get into medical school?
lol yeah that is true. But I always thought people who goes into medicine should have at least some compassion.
Old 07-20-2012 at 05:58 PM   #32
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
Just wondering, why did you feel the need to post a picture of the killer? Not that I really have a problem you doing so in this context, but I do hate the glorification of the entire case, every time such a thing occurs. The way everybody now seems to gobble down every unnecessary detail, and encouraging news broadcasts to do what they usually love to do. This seems to explain my feelings on the matter:

Someone uses Reddit
Old 07-20-2012 at 06:26 PM   #33
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I'm probably going to hell for wondering/asking this, but:

I wonder if anyone stayed to watch the movie...?

Chris23 likes this.
Old 07-20-2012 at 06:41 PM   #34
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

The trend with a lot of these shootings seems to be that the killer takes their own life afterwards, so tbh I don't think the death penalty can do much to stop these people from doing this. It's unfortunate and this is a horrible tragedy, and it worries me, because how can we prevent these things from happening? we might be able to address people's problems and stop them from spiralling into this state, but it's really disheartening to think anyone could end up doing this kind of thing in the first place. x(
Old 07-20-2012 at 07:50 PM   #35
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

http://www.theglobeandmail.c om/com...rticle4430876/
Old 07-20-2012 at 08:46 PM   #36
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:

Ish001, lt93 like this.
Old 07-20-2012 at 09:20 PM   #37
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelve Chars View Post
You don't need a psych evaluation to buy a gun in America (or Canada for that matter), and you can make tear gas at home. Good luck bringing up gun control to any listening American though, second amendment y'all.
The argument goes:
Criminals would be able to get guns even if they were illegal. So a criminal with a gun would be able to do whatever he/she wants and no (regular) citizen would be able to protect themselves.

Even if guns were illegal, that wouldn't stop this individual from obtaining something that could harm others and using it in that theatre.

So gun advocates are saying they have a right to protect themselves by carrying a firearm or some other kind of weapon and that should be legal, otherwise they would essentially be unarmed and unable to deal with anyone with a weapon.
Old 07-20-2012 at 09:33 PM   #38
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
So gun advocates are saying they have a right to protect themselves by carrying a firearm or some other kind of weapon and that should be legal, otherwise they would essentially be unarmed and unable to deal with anyone with a weapon.
Considering carrying a concealed handgun seems to be legal in Colorado, I'm surprised nobody shot back at this guy.. since an argument I hear a lot is "keeping guns legal lets the citizens fight back!"
Old 07-21-2012 at 02:04 PM   #39
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

I'm curious to know the motive of the crime.
My guesses at the moment:
  • mental illness
  • desire for infamy
  • revenge against people (people who like Batman / people in Colorado / people in America / people in general / ... ?)
Old 07-21-2012 at 03:53 PM   #40
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...pe=1&theate r

seems to hold a lot of truth especially in america.
Old 07-21-2012 at 06:46 PM   #41
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...pe=1&theate r

seems to hold a lot of truth especially in america.
Just because you can see it on facebook doesn't mean we can.

Silver says thanks to Twelve Chars for this post.

drpatel likes this.
Old 07-23-2012 at 07:37 AM   #42
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
This sort of happened in that movie "God Bless America". Brings up the debate about whether movies/video games are having a influence on these people.
Movies are fictional stories, anyone who cant differentiate between a story and reality has serious mental issues. Ive seen plenty of murder cases in the news papers, doesnt mean i go out and become a serial killer
Old 07-23-2012 at 07:38 AM   #43
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Eh, don't presume to know what made him do what he did or pass judgement. People are made to be what they are through a series of small interactions, most of which, ordinary people are responsible for.. people tend to place the blame on the individual carrying out the crime, but society is completely ignored for some reason. Certainly there's mental illness and just bad apples, but ugh... I really want to know what this guy's motive was.
He lit up an entire theatre of people, children included. And killed or harmed 50 people. What does it matter what his motive is? I dont care if your bullied in life or if youve had a hard life, the ends does not justify the means. If you want to blame society for this shooting, I think society will have a bone to pick with you
Old 07-23-2012 at 07:41 AM   #44
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
That seems to make more sense. The whole incident is way too extreme for the guy to have not been out of his mind. It's unfortunate that he didn't seek nor was given enough help to deal with whatever his issues were.

I think rather than focusing on stuff like "omfg this guy should get the death penalty hurrr", we should be more concerned that a guy with some serious problems was able to somehow acquire multiple guns and tear gas canisters.
Its the USA, do you know how much easier it is there to get your hands on guns?
Old 07-23-2012 at 08:38 AM   #45
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Wow, I posted some general "no guns no violence" tweet the other day, and I already got 2 replies from random gun enthusiasts telling me I have no right to tell them what to own.

Holy, do these people just spend their day browsing hashtags to attack people like me? I wasnt attacking them!