MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster: Why Did You Choose It? feonateresa General Discussion 56 09-05-2009 11:11 AM
If u had to choose... LBJ.MVP Academics 38 07-11-2009 03:28 PM
how to choose nadia1 Academics 9 07-03-2009 01:10 PM
Why did YOU choose McMaster? kenvin100 General Discussion 31 09-25-2008 02:33 PM
How to Choose a Residence lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 9 05-29-2008 03:54 PM

Should i choose Mcmaster? please give me some advice!

Old 05-09-2009 at 07:53 AM   #16
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Also, McGill has the highest percentage of International Students in Canadian Universities. My cousin tells me of the support systems in place for Intl. Students and it definitely outstrips McMaster on many accounts. Unfortunately the McMaster administration sometimes is more caught up with budgetary issues than it is with prioritizing support for minority groups of students.
Old 05-09-2009 at 05:18 PM   #17
lbqjenny

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post

More than that, McGill's requirements are extremely tough to move on with Biochemistry. Since you need a 3.2 GPA to move forward, which is equivalent to a mark in the high 70s. This means that the program itself would be full of people attempting to get much higher, and this would help your grades out by forcing you to get higher marks at McGill than you would at Mac.
I really appreciate your opinion!! But i think here is the thing~ i'm not a person who can get a higher mark by having so much pressure. If so, it's more likely that i'll lose confidence, finally, i cannot achieve my goal. If i can get to a university which is not that competitive, i can always do better. So, could you tell me if i put the same efforts on my study in either school, will i get a higher mark in Mcmaster than in Mcgill? And how about the class sizes in Mcmaster in your field?
Old 05-09-2009 at 05:27 PM   #18
lbqjenny

Quote:
Also, McGill has the highest percentage of International Students in Canadian Universities. My cousin tells me of the support systems in place for Intl. Students and it definitely outstrips McMaster on many accounts. Unfortunately the McMaster administration sometimes is more caught up with budgetary issues than it is with prioritizing support for minority groups of students.
I think if i cannot get a high mark in Mcgill, but i can get a high mark in Mcmaster, do you think it's better to get into Mcmaster cause a hight GPA is sooo important to me, and could you tell me what do you think of U of T? i am also enrolled by that university.

Can your consin speak french? i've never learnt French. Will it affect my life quality? If there are so many international students in Mcgill, can i practise my english well?
I really need your advice. Thank you sooo much!!!
Old 05-09-2009 at 07:12 PM   #19
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

Hi

I had the same dilemma that you are in last year when I had to decide between McGill or McMaster for science - it was a very difficult decision. Yes, McGill has the international prestige, the reputation, the world-renowned researchers, an international student body, and a strong science faculty. However, what swayed my decision was a visit to the campus during [email protected] The campus felt right, the atmosphere was warm and friendly (there didn't seem to be any exisiting rivalries between students for grades), Mac's reputation is awesome especially for science, health sci. and engineering, and it is a constantly changing university that just keeps on getting better and better. Even though first year classes are large, the majority of the profs go out of their way to instill an open, intimate atmosphere.
I know that you want a high GPA, however, I would pick my university based on the academic experience that you want and where you will fit in the most comfortably because it is more likely that you will succceed in an environment that suits you. For me, I couldn't see myself going to a big unknwon city like Montreal (even though I can speak french fluently) and I wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of an academically-charged student body. I would advise visiting both campuses. I wouldn't go to McMaster with the mind set that it is easier than McGill and that you will have an easy ride - this is not true. The majority of the science students will tell you that it's not a walk in the park, and you have to put in a lot of effort and dedication to get results, no matter how smart and talented you are. Both universities are challenging, and it really depends on what type of learning experience and atmosphere you want. Try weighing the pros and cons of each university and see which ones are the most important to you. Good luck!

Last edited by R.L. : 05-09-2009 at 07:33 PM.

lbqjenny all say thanks to R.L. for this post.
Old 05-09-2009 at 07:57 PM   #20
Ashlie

Liked: 10 Times

Although you are choosing Life Sciences in First year, you can choose your major to be Biochemistry in second. The Biochem program is really great here at Mac, in second year our core class was max. 150 students. Biochemistry still require you take some typical biology courses, which tend to be a little bigger (around 300-400), but that shouldn't discourage you at all. If you need to see a prof. they are all really kind and have plenty of office hours so you can get the help.
Basically, I echo everyone else's coments about choosing the University not for solely academic purposes. I know McGill has a great reputation, however make sure you do consider the larger city and environment you will be in. I love McMaster and the community it provides. As a second year science student I would say you can definitely achieve a high GPA, you just need to work hard for it. At the same time, balance is the key to University life- knowing how and when to work hard and study, but still leaving time for you to relax and enjoy your time. No one is productive when they are really stressed all the time.
One last point is that McMaster has a really great Biology & Pharmacology co-op program. Don't confuse pharmacology with pharmacy, but if you are interested in attending pharmacy school following undergrad, this might be something you might want to look at as it will give you a broader understanding.
I hope this helps a bit!

lbqjenny all say thanks to Ashlie for this post.
Old 05-09-2009 at 08:58 PM   #21
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Hey there,

I actually had the same situation last year, as an international student McMaster was actually last on my list of colleges, I had gotten into Mcgill and a number of other Well Known American Universities as well. But I kind of messed up my financial aid scene/didn't get enough from the places I did get aid. Hence In the middle of August I had to come to McMaster having no idea what it's all about. However having spent 10 months here I would say things are pretty decent/okay, and Rohan's right international student's aren't the top priority when it comes to Administration support but its not like they desert you either. They do have a decent ISS office, plus the student organizations/clubs make up for it if you take the initative.

However having said all that I would have chose Mcgill over McMaster(assuming I had the money) simply because it is a better instituion "prestige wise" and more importantly my degree was Social Science(I was still undecided between Sociology,Economics and Polisci).

However your case is very different, you KNOW what you will be doing in two years
Biochem at Mcgill is a very specific discipline whereas I'm assuming in a general Lifesci degree you cover alot of courses/aspects. As Rohan said you'll be paying thrice the tuition a Canadian pays, so you should consider which type of degree will serve you better!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 05-09-2009 at 09:59 PM   #22
lbqjenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.L. View Post
I know that you want a high GPA, however, I would pick my university based on the academic experience that you want and where you will fit in the most comfortably because it is more likely that you will succceed in an environment that suits you. For me, I couldn't see myself going to a big unknwon city like Montreal (even though I can speak french fluently) and I wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of an academically-charged student body. I would advise visiting both campuses. I wouldn't go to McMaster with the mind set that it is easier than McGill and that you will have an easy ride - this is not true. The majority of the science students will tell you that it's not a walk in the park, and you have to put in a lot of effort and dedication to get results, no matter how smart and talented you are. Both universities are challenging, and it really depends on what type of learning experience and atmosphere you want. Try weighing the pros and cons of each university and see which ones are the most important to you. Good luck!
Thank you so much!!! Since i'm an international student, i won't have the chance to visit McGill, so you guys' opinions are really important to me!! Toronto is also a totally new place for me. So....haha, i cannot find a city i'm fimilar with in Canada. Actually, i'm really a hard-working and sensitive girl. i'm not a person who is good at handling so much pressure. If i choose McGill, is it really really hard to achieve my goal cuz everyone study crazy? I think i won't do well even thought i try my best to work hard if i'm under so much pressure. Haha, an academically-charged student body!!that's sooooooooo crazy!! Anyway, do you think Mac is better for me?

Last edited by lbqjenny : 05-09-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-09-2009 at 10:13 PM   #23
lbqjenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlie View Post
As a second year science student I would say you can definitely achieve a high GPA, you just need to work hard for it. At the same time, balance is the key to University life- knowing how and when to work hard and study, but still leaving time for you to relax and enjoy your time. No one is productive when they are really stressed all the time.
One last point is that McMaster has a really great Biology & Pharmacology co-op program. Don't confuse pharmacology with pharmacy, but if you are interested in attending pharmacy school following undergrad, this might be something you might want to look at as it will give you a broader understanding.
I hope this helps a bit!
Thank you so much~ but i have a question here: why did you say that as a second year student i can achieve a high GPA if i work hard, is it because it's easier than the first year? yeah, i agree with you--university life!!!

CO-OP, OMG!!! Mac won't let international students join it!
Old 05-09-2009 at 10:26 PM   #24
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbqjenny View Post
CO-OP, OMG!!! Mac won't let international students join it!
um, actually you are able to co-op. you just need an off campus work permit which is pretty easy to obtain.

source: http://oisa.mcmaster.ca/immigrationm...ernships.c fm
Old 05-09-2009 at 11:02 PM   #25
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey View Post
um, actually you are able to co-op. you just need an off campus work permit which is pretty easy to obtain.

source: http://oisa.mcmaster.ca/immigrationm...ernships.c fm
Yes but on the flip side International students are completely unable to participate in Work-study programs(work for a department or library etc) for the first two years. Not under any circumstances, so if she wanted to pursue something on campus she would be unable too!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 05-10-2009 at 10:59 AM   #26
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Yes but on the flip side International students are completely unable to participate in Work-study programs(work for a department or library etc) for the first two years. Not under any circumstances, so if she wanted to pursue something on campus she would be unable too!
Well thats not completely true, there are still positions on campus that are not a part of the work-study program especially positions with the MSU. And in any case, there's a whole world outside of campus where you can find work anyway after the first six months.
Old 05-10-2009 at 03:37 PM   #27
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey View Post
Well thats not completely true, there are still positions on campus that are not a part of the work-study program especially positions with the MSU. And in any case, there's a whole world outside of campus where you can find work anyway after the first six months.
This is something that really needs to be changed up, especially with the ridiculousness of OSAP requirements... McWork does screw over a number of people, and international students have a hell of a time.

They really need to add in the ability to work on a student visa.

huzaifa47 says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 05-10-2009 at 04:29 PM   #28
lbqjenny

Quote:
This is something that really needs to be changed up, especially with the ridiculousness of OSAP requirements... McWork does screw over a number of people, and international students have a hell of a time.

They really need to add in the ability to work on a student visa.
could you tell me the class size in you field in Mac?( the 1st and the 2nd year)
Old 05-11-2009 at 02:22 PM   #29
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbqjenny View Post
i've never learnt French. Will it affect my life quality?
No, you'll be fine. Most people consider knowing French to be a detrimental quality. Ask England or Germany if you don't believe me.